Cabins at Fort Wilderness, or Treehouse Villas at Saratoga Springs

MinnesoTristan

Mouseketeer
I know it isn’t exactly an apples to apples comparison, but I think some of the better places to stay during the pandemic would be either the Cabins at Fort Wilderness, or the Treehouse Villas at Saratoga Springs. I’m curious to hear from people who have stayed at either property about their pros and cons.
Both properties have boat transportation (one to Magic Kingdom, one to Disney Springs), and offer lots of privacy and space.
However, both are remote with internal bus systems and would probably require a rental car. I’m interested to hear your experiences.

My family stayed in the treehouse last year. While we enjoyed the room itself we felt a bit too isolated. The two bedrooms were spacious, the third was very small (I could only imagine children being able to stay in the bunk bed room). We only had four people in our party so the space was perfect for us. We were close to the treehouse boat dock which was nice for heading to Disney springs. Our biggest mistake was not having a car, had we rented one we would have enjoyed our stay more. We found the transportation to be horrible. Most times we found it quicker to walk to another bus stop rather then waiting for the treehouse one. We also weren’t huge fans of the pool in the treehouse area.

I would never stay in SSR without a car. Did it once - never again. It’s a nice place but fantastically huge, so if you’re not careful you can spend a lot of time riding or just waiting for the bus. And the treehouses seemed even more isolated though in all fairness we have never stayed in one.

But if isolation is what you’re seeking, maybe SSR Treehouse Villas are the place for you!

How many in your party? How many bathrooms would you need..pros and cons for both..

The THV has two real queen beds, a set of bunk beds (smaller than twin sized), a queen sleeper sofa and twin sleeper chair (both in the living room). Only two bathrooms, one in the master bedroom, the other shared by the other bedrooms. If you have more than one car, you can only park one at the THV. The other would need to be parked at the Grandstand. To get to the parks you can either walk to the Grandstand and catch the bus there or take a bus from the THV that takes you to SSR to catch a bus from there.

If I was worried about the pandemic, I would choose a Cascade Cabin at WL. It has a small hot tub that looks out towards the lake and it is screened in. Plus a fireplace.

I have never stayed in a THV but have stayed at the Cabins at Fort Wilderness. There were 5 of us and it worked fine but there is only one queen bed, bunk beds (at 5' 7" I slept on the bottom bunk while my son who was 14 at the time slept on the top bunk) and a queen sleeper sofa. There definitely would be more room in the THV but you're able to rent a golf cart type of vehicle at Fort Wilderness which made getting around much easier. We actually had our own car there but it ended up being easier to ride the cart and park it at the main bus stops to cut down the long walks to those bus stops or other parts of the resort.

We are staying in the fort wilderness cabin in april.. Does anyone know what loops the dog Areas are?

We were going to stay in a pet friendly cabin earlier in the year before everything got cancelled and the parks closed. If you check the Disney World website under the Cabins at Fort Wilderness page, there's this link for the PDF version of their dog policy under the Dog Friendly Accommodations section. It's on page 2 of the PDF. It looks like it's loops 2200 and 2300.

https://origin-dscribe.s3.amazonaws...wilderness-resort-pet-policy-card-fw-0218.pdf

We haven’t stayed in a Treehouse Villa in a number of years, but do enjoy the FW cabins mostly because of the activities that are available. The campfire sing-along and movies at night, the nature trail, the Tri-Circle D ranch. But if you are not interested in those, then it may not matter. Be aware that if anyone in your party has trouble walking, the Treehouse Villas do have a number of stairs.

We haven’t stayed in a Treehouse Villa in a number of years, but do enjoy the FW cabins mostly because of the activities that are available. The campfire sing-along and movies at night, the nature trail, the Tri-Circle D ranch. But if you are not interested in those, then it may not matter. Be aware that if anyone in your party has trouble walking, the Treehouse Villas do have a number of stairs.
Great point about all of the things there are to do at FW! And the stairs thing was part of the reason we did not stay at the Treehouse Villas yet. My mom has trouble with a lot of walking. There are a few Treehouse Villas that have ramps instead of stairs but it's still a long walk from the parking lot up that ramp for anyone who has mobility issues and isn't using a mobility scooter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter