Cabins at Fort Wilderness or All Star Music Family Suite

rramsr

Mouseketeer
We are a group of 6, 2 adults and 4 kids ages 17, 14, 13, 10

Right now we have the All Star Music Family Suite booked with he free dining off for July

For $200.00 more we can stay at the Cabins at Fort Wilderness

Which is better? Have never stayed at either

Thanks

We have 4 kids too. Last year we stayed in a Fort Wilderness Cabin; they were 17, 16, 13, and 11 at the time, so somewhat close to the ages of your kids.
I picked the cabin over a family suite at All Star Music because
1)Quiet, I figured the separate cabins would offer more peace and privacy
2) More of a real kitchen for making breakfast in the mornings, or even simple dinners some nights. We were there for marathon weekend, so being able to make a real breakfast in the mornings and a "carbo load" dinner of pasta the night before was a real asset
3) Pool has a hot tub, which I prefer for every Disney trip--but was especially important for post race
4) On site activities/entertainment; ability to see the fireworks and water pageant from the beach, nice boat ride to Magic Kingdom, etc.

For us, the one bathroom thing wasn't an issue, but part of that is because some of us were running races REALLY early in the mornings, while others were still sleeping. It might be more difficult if everyone is waking up/trying to get ready at the same time.

Thank you for your quick response. Only thing stopping me from changing is the one bathroom for 6 of us

Thank you for your quick response. Only thing stopping me from changing is the one bathroom for 6 of us

The single bathroom for your family should be a concern with adults and teens (mostly).

The best work-around for that is to request a cabin in loop 2200 in your reservation (add as a request though it's not a guarantee). That loop is basically a horseshoe shape and the lower number cabin side (2201, 2202, etc.) are just across the street from the Comfort Station that serves the camping loops 2100 and 1100. It would be a short walk to maybe send the guys in your party over there for showers, etc.

I've snipped the part of Google maps in question here. The walk is highlighted in yellow. The green lines are sidewalks. The CS is the "C"omfort "S"tation I'm referring to.

2200 to CS.PNG

So put the 2200 request on a cabin reservation and when you check in (or use early online checkin, etc.) if you are in 2200 but not with a low number (other side of loop), go in the lobby ask if you can move over. Tell the CM why (they've likely heard that reason before - it's not uncommon).

For the kids the age you have, the Fort is a nice place to turn them loose and let them roam around together. Lots to do.

Bama Ed

Last edited:

We have 4 kids too. Last year we stayed in a Fort Wilderness Cabin; they were 17, 16, 13, and 11 at the time, so somewhat close to the ages of your kids.
I picked the cabin over a family suite at All Star Music because
1)Quiet, I figured the separate cabins would offer more peace and privacy
2) More of a real kitchen for making breakfast in the mornings, or even simple dinners some nights. We were there for marathon weekend, so being able to make a real breakfast in the mornings and a "carbo load" dinner of pasta the night before was a real asset
3) Pool has a hot tub, which I prefer for every Disney trip--but was especially important for post race
4) On site activities/entertainment; ability to see the fireworks and water pageant from the beach, nice boat ride to Magic Kingdom, etc.

For us, the one bathroom thing wasn't an issue, but part of that is because some of us were running races REALLY early in the mornings, while others were still sleeping. It might be more difficult if everyone is waking up/trying to get ready at the same time.

I would consider renting a travel trailer - they start around $650 for the week - and staying in a preferred or premium loop. They will set up the trailer, and as long as you are close to a comfort station then you have extra bathrooms built in. This will save you money, and give you the wonderful Ft. Wilderness experience.

We are a group of 6, 2 adults and 4 kids ages 17, 14, 13, 10

Right now we have the All Star Music Family Suite booked with he free dining off for July

For $200.00 more we can stay at the Cabins at Fort Wilderness

Which is better? Have never stayed at either

Thanks

While the cabins are great, they aren't included in the free dining offer. So, you'd be paying $200 more and not getting the dining.

Stayed at both.

The biggest advantage to cabins (and one of few for me) is a kitchen to cook and save money. That would be totally negated for me with the Dining Plan. The suites have microwave and small fridge so I easily can keep breakfast foods. We also used snack credits for fruit cups to bring to room, and if eating in food court used mug for our drink but took an orange juice for our drink with meal. Then we brought the juice back for next day.

Suite gives you your own bedroom and all the kids out in the living room. Both situations involve two kids sharing a bed. The cabin bedroom is small and the bunk tight with you. One vs Two bathrooms for that many would be important to me, more important than a kitchen.

Cabins were renovated a few years back and Music is about to get renovated.

We hate the transportation system in the campground so drove to parks other than MK, then bucked up for the bus ride to the dock. We prefer a resort we can walk everywhere with ease. I don't like the internal bus. Most will suggest renting golf cart but that adds a nice chunk of change and not sure with 6 what the options are.

You just have to decide which perks are important to you like 2 bathrooms vs kitchen, transportation ease vs parking at your front door, private bedroom vs newer beds ... because your sleeping surfaces are the same, and your dining plan option is the same.

With the ages of your kids, I would get two regular rooms at All Stars or Pop. You would get four real beds and two bathrooms and likely less expensive. We are a family of five and this option always worked best for us as the kids got to be older.

I agree with this. Two standard rooms are cheaper at Music...but all of the suites are in preferred so if this is important to you, factor in the cost of upgrading. They won't guarantee connecting rooms but if they can't do it, they will still be together.

We have stayed in both, and my family liked both but would choose the cabins again. I was very nervous about the 1 bathroom because we had 4 adults and 2 children, but it really was never an issue for us. We had the guys shower at night and the girls in the morning. We requested the loop close to the bath houses but never used it. We do have early risers so we rope dropped every day with no problem. We did have a golf cart and I would recommend it because the transportation is the biggest drawback to the cabins. We drove to every park except MK. Our suite at Music was a little bit of pixie dust. My family of four had a preferred room booked and were upgraded when we got there. We thought it was great too. The transportation was the best there of all our stays, and mousekeeping was so sweet to my kids, arranging their stuffed animals in cute ways every night. The rooms definitely need an uplift but were clean and ok for us. It is nice to have a food court so close.

Thank you all for your input. So two more people are coming with us so we chose to move to Pop with two rooms of 4 so we could all be at the same hotel and much cheaper than the Family Suite. We did request adjoining rooms and we do prefer Pop for the value resorts. Even if the last two that was just added can't go we are going to stay at Pop with 2 rooms.

Be sure to request connecting rooms rather than adjoining if you want an interior door between the rooms. Adjoining means rooms next to or near each other. Connecting means two rooms with an interior door between them.

Thank you all for your input. So two more people are coming with us so we chose to move to Pop with two rooms of 4 so we could all be at the same hotel and much cheaper than the Family Suite. We did request adjoining rooms and we do prefer Pop for the value resorts. Even if the last two that was just added can't go we are going to stay at Pop with 2 rooms.

Be sure to request connecting rooms rather than adjoining if you want an interior door between the rooms. Adjoining means rooms next to or near each other. Connecting means two rooms with an interior door between them.

Thank you, I was getting the confused. Will definitely request connecting rooms

Just called and they said adjoining rooms are the rooms with the doors inside that you can open and connecting just share a wall but no doors to open to go back and forth

Just called and they said adjoining rooms are the rooms with the doors inside that you can open and connecting just share a wall but no doors to open to go back and forth

Not to the people who actually assign the rooms. To them it's the exact opposite. The phone CMs are notorious for giving incorrect information which is what just happened to you.

Just called and they said
adjoining rooms are the rooms with the doors inside that you can open
and
connecting just share a wall but no doors to open to go back and forth

Bless their hearts! :faint:

@dansdad is correct, opposite and phone CMs are the last folks to believe.

Simply:

Connecting are two rooms side by side that have a door between them you can open up.

Adjoining are rooms that are "in close proximity" to each other;
anything from next door, to same floor, to same building.

Neither are guaranteed, just a request.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter