Cabana or no cabana?

1Winston

Mouseketeer
Looking for some insight on whether a cabana is worth the 600$ they are now charging. We aren't much for shade and prefer the sun. We have a 2yr old and 4 year old who want to play in the sand. We are trying to decide on this or the couples villa? We are concierge so the water and snacks aren't necessary since we can bring our own water from the lounge. We've been to castaway many times without a cabana and loved it but thought we may try it to see what all the hype was about. Would love peoples opinions. Thank you in advance!!!

If you can get one yes there worth it still, your own space, private beach, hammock, fruit bowl sodas, safe, cycle hire, snorkel and floats included and a host to look after you.

$ 600 could be spent on excursions for a family that last an hour or two, this lasts all day you can have six there without extra costs.

We have had them twice was with the money IMHO but in the end the decision is yours only.

If you can get one yes there worth it still, your own space, private beach, hammock, fruit bowl sodas, safe, cycle hire, snorkel and floats included and a host to look after you.

$ 600 could be spent on excursions for a family that last an hour or two, this masts all day you can have six there without extra costs.

I agree. My wife and I have gotten a Cabana on Serenity Bay once and loved it. The private space is well worth the money. We have a B2B concierge room booked for May 2015 and will be getting a Cabana for both days at CC. We will not do any excursions in Nassau (probably stay on boat). The video in the link is of Cabana 21 on Serenity Bay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbRgBGBP7B4

IMO, no. But you will find a lot of people who love them and say they are a must have. I love CC. It is my favorite place DCL goes to. There is so much to do. The beach is beautiful everywhere, it isn't that crowded, there are a ton of chairs and umbrellas to use all over the beach. The drinks are close by, food too. I just do not see the need for the cabanas. I find CC super fun and relaxing without needing a cabana. I would rather use the $600 bucks towards more photos or booking another cruise. But that is just my opinion and there are many who would disagree with me.

The day in the cabana is my favorite part of the cruise! Love having the private space on the beach and in the water. Love having the floats and sand toys available. Love having a place to safely store our stuff. Love having our own table to eat at inside. Love having our own little shower to rinse off at the end of the day. Love having a supply of towels and drinks and snacks available. etc etc etc.

The only things I don't completely love are 1) that the photographers don't come down there for pictures so I miss out on some extras that I could have in the photo package. But it's worth it to just take my own beach pictures that day to be in the cabana. ;) and 2) that the concierge character meet and greet on the sundeck is that same day (at least on the Dream it was) so I feel like we get gypped out of a half hour in the afternoon to get back to the ship.

They look so cute, but 600.00 for 8 hours at the most is just not worth it to me. we had a blast at cc in the a.m. After lunch we were back on the ship.

IMO, no. But you will find a lot of people who love them and say they are a must have. I love CC. It is my favorite place DCL goes to. There is so much to do. The beach is beautiful everywhere, it isn't that crowded, there are a ton of chairs and umbrellas to use all over the beach. The drinks are close by, food too. I just do not see the need for the cabanas. I find CC super fun and relaxing without needing a cabana. I would rather use the $600 bucks towards more photos or booking another cruise. But that is just my opinion and there are many who would disagree with me.

I agree. IMHO there are much better things to spend your money on than a cabana, but ultimately it's up to what you want to do and what your values are.

I'm curious as to what you'd do with the kids if you did the couples' villa - nursery and kids' club? Even going with a cabana, I would personally value complete family time - we didn't even start considering doing separate things until my sister and I were well into our teens, and even now a family vacation is just that...a FAMILY vacation. But then again, that's just my opinion.

I agree. IMHO there are much better things to spend your money on than a cabana, but ultimately it's up to what you want to do and what your values are.

I'm curious as to what you'd do with the kids if you did the couples' villa - nursery and kids' club? Even going with a cabana, I would personally value complete family time - we didn't even start considering doing separate things until my sister and I were well into our teens, and even now a family vacation is just that...a FAMILY vacation. But then again, that's just my opinion.

Thanks for everyone's input! We are traveling with their grandmother and uncle so that would be time for them to enjoy the kiddos. Our children have never been to the kids clubs or nursery on the ships buying think that they are great for older children and gives parents a little quiet time too.
For those of you who say it isn't what you would do have you tried it and not liked it?
Thank you!

Thanks for everyone's input! We are traveling with their grandmother and uncle so that would be time for them to enjoy the kiddos. Our children have never been to the kids clubs or nursery on the ships buying think that they are great for older children and gives parents a little quiet time too.
For those of you who say it isn't what you would do have you tried it and not liked it?
Thank you!

I have not tried it. I don't see the point. Granted I've only been on Serenity Bay, but from what I've seen walking by the family beach, there are plenty of chairs and umbrellas, the food and drink are not that far away... We're not high maintenance (yes, our first three-night was concierge, but that was my dad's decision because we were celebrating his and Mom's 45th anniversary and even he - having now sailed with the "unwashed masses" - says that it was unnecessary and the regular cabins are perfectly fine) people.

And fwiw, this is coming from someone who DOES have to watch her time in the sun because of very fair skin. I've never felt like I'd benefit from having an indoor place to go - the umbrella, sunscreen, and my cover-ups are sufficient.

When I'm at the beach, I want to be AT THE BEACH with sand in my toes and the water right there, not feeling like I need to be in an even semi-enclosed structure because I paid for it, and I'm afraid if I did try it, I would miss out on just being in the beauty that is CC because I'd feel like I needed to get my money's worth.

Those are just my thoughts.

The Cabana is the base, you do not have to stay in it all day, there is a private beach and topped off sea just in front of it, they are part of the package, you can go for a cycle ride part of the package, or snorkel part of the package.

You do not stay inside the cabana because you paid for it, you use all of the facilities.

One benefit to us was we could all go out together as a family. When on the standard beach we would worry about loosing our beds, loosing valuables like a camera so for lunch and the bike and a swim we went two by two, with two staying " guard" with a cabana we went to cookies two all together ABD a bike ride together as we had a safe in the cabana.

So you have a beach to spread out on and play on and not get in anyone's way. A hammock and private shower no sharing.

I ordered a cabana for my parents' upcoming 50th anniversary cruise, because the picture of my father, who is very sun sensitive, sitting in a lounger covered in towels haunts me. I want him to be able to enjoy himself as much as the rest of us will without having to huddle under towels to protect himself. The rest of the included amenities are great, but the shelter for him is the main thing.

I ordered a cabana for my parents' upcoming 50th anniversary cruise, because the picture of my father, who is very sun sensitive, sitting in a lounger covered in towels haunts me. I want him to be able to enjoy himself as much as the rest of us will without having to huddle under towels to protect himself. The rest of the included amenities are great, but the shelter for him is the main thing.

That's a very nice and thoughtful gift. They're going to love that!

We're not high maintenance (yes, our first three-night was concierge, but that was my dad's decision because we were celebrating his and Mom's 45th anniversary and even he - having now sailed with the "unwashed masses" - says that it was unnecessary and the regular cabins are perfectly fine) people.

Why is it always assumed if people like a cabana they are high maintenance? I'm by no means high maintenance, but loved my cabana on CC. I also will probably only cruise if I can afford concierge. This doesn't mean I think I'm better than anyone else.

Why is it always assumed if people like a cabana they are high maintenance? I'm by no means high maintenance, but loved my cabana on CC. I also will probably only cruise if I can afford concierge. This doesn't mean I think I'm better than anyone else.

:thumbsup2 We're going on our 1st DCL (Dream) in April. We booked Concierge & a cabana on CC and can't wait to experience both! We personally want the amenities each has to offer. "Different strokes for different folks".

We do not need people doing things for us. We book our own excursions. We are fine with the regular umbrellas and chairs. We don't need or want things done for us and favors and such. We MAYBE used the lounge twice.

I use the term high maintenance because of the behavior I witnessed the couple of times we went to the lounge to get things for ourselves. The whining and demands I witnessed other concierge guests making of the hosts was that of entitled, high-maintenance people. I'm sure not everyone who cruises concierge is that way, but this was at least two different families I witnessed, so based on that, yes. I choose to use the term.

Like I said earlier, if concierge and cabanas are how people choose to spend their money, that's fine. I'd rather spend my money on more tangible things and experiences my family and I will actually appreciate. And be able to take more trips to make more memories and have more experiences.

It all just depends on what's important to you and your family and your priorities. We all have different ones.

Considering a cabana for our first cruise. I know they are hard to come by. If your not concierge do you even have a chance. Also how do you handle lunch? Do you get it and bring it back? Do the hosts help?

We had a cabana back in March 2011. This was before you could book online and we were able to book it at Port Adventures when we boarded. We did like it and it was very nice to be able to get out of the sun and rain when the afternoon storm came through.

Since then we have not had one (do not book concierge and only Gold status). I did try to get one for the cruise right after and was a little disappointed but still loved our day. We have not tried since then and have loved all of our stops hanging out on the family beach.

It is really up to you. I would skip the cabana and enjoy the Couples Villa instead.

We never considered getting a cabana until our last visit when one was actually available. We haven't so far sailed concierge though we wouldn't rule that out just to be able to get a cabana.

We loved ours and we aren't high maintenance at all. LOL. We have a son who is more relaxed in less crowded environments and having the cabana was so much more relaxing for the whole family.

It's well worth the money IMO but I never would have believed it until I tried it. There are so many other opportunities to experience Disney/vacation-related crowds. Quiet, private, peaceful family day at a beautiful beach. Priceless.

One of the photographers came down to the private family beach as well, at least once that we saw. We didn't feel as though we missed anything at all. We knew when the character meet and greets were scheduled so we could have easily gone to any of those.

Is it a long walk from the boat? We never ventured down that far, we have always stayed at the family beach closest to the ship since at least one of our little ones was really little each time we cruised. Thanks folks :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter