BYOS bring your own straw (Disney removing straws and more in 2019)

http://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories...reduction-of-straws-and-bags-eliminates-lids/

So now I'm changing my tune a bit.

What does this even mean? They aren't offering paper straws - removing plastic straw and lids instead??? Or is that only for booze? This article is confusing.

What the heck? I'm not walking around Magic Kingdom with a venti refresher and no lid, that's a mess waiting to happen! I realize this article pertains to Disneyland, but same thing will happen to WDW eventually.

What happened to paper straws?

http://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories...reduction-of-straws-and-bags-eliminates-lids/

So now I'm changing my tune a bit.

What does this even mean? They aren't offering paper straws - removing plastic straw and lids instead??? Or is that only for booze? This article is confusing.

What the heck? I'm not walking around Magic Kingdom with a venti refresher and no lid, that's a mess waiting to happen! I realize this article pertains to Disneyland, but same thing will happen to WDW eventually.

It's more that they've switched to a 'per request' basis, perhaps because of the amount of backlash that they've probably noticed when they made their announcement about their environmental plans re the plastic, which is far fairer compromise, because while you'll still have the convenience should you need it, people have the democracy of choice and yet Disney will still achieve their goal of reducing the gratuitous amounts of plastics used on a day-to-day basis. However, there now seems to be a huge fuss being made about the lids because of the risk of spilling drinks by accident when on the move.

It's more that they've switched to a 'per request' basis, perhaps because of the amount of backlash that they've probably noticed when they made their announcement about their environmental plans re the plastic, which is far fairer compromise, because while you'll still have the convenience should you need it, people have the democracy of choice and yet Disney will still achieve their goal of reducing the gratuitous amounts of plastics used on a day-to-day basis. However, there now seems to be a huge fuss being made about the lids because of the risk of spilling drinks by accident when on the move.

I can't believe anyone would choose going lidless over having a paper straw.

They should have just stuck to their guns and went with paper straws. Everyone is going to ask for a lid and straw now. :rotfl:

The paper straw story line was an assumption. Given that I heard paper straws are more expensive, I never believed they would have those available on a large scale.

The paper straw story line was an assumption. Given that I heard paper straws are more expensive, I never believed they would have those available on a large scale.

Well, it's a normal assumption.

I suppose they expect people to sit and drink their drinks at lunch, then toss them? I can see that. Then request a lid and straw if they plan to walk through park. I'm probably in the minority walking around with my very berry hibiscus refresher, yum.

Last edited:
Well, it's a normal assumption.

I suppose they expect people to sit and drink their drinks at lunch, then toss them? I can see that. Then request a lid and straw if they plan to walk through park. I'm probably in the minority walking around with my very berry hibiscus refresher, yum.
Normal to assume Disney would opt for a more costly alternative? :magnify:

We had already chosen to bring our own S'well bottles to the park. Its hot and the drinks end up hot and watered down so it just makes more sense.:confused3

It depends on the economics of scale, even when you consider how much TWDC is worth on the NYSE. Whether or not they're doing the 'per request' basis instead of (until an ordinance forces a ban on them) or they're still persevering with phasing them out come next year is a moot point. We'll just have to see how this will pan out, given how Disney often listen to guests' feedback.

They better be washing those cups like crazy.. cause who knows how good they are ridding that bacteria off those glasses when you put your lips on it

Having been a former dishwasher at a restaurant years ago, the bacteria is dead. Those glasses come out scalding hot from the industrial dishwashers. There aren't people scrubbing over sinks. It's a big, loud, fast and hot machine that cleans them off.

Having been a former dishwasher at a restaurant years ago, the bacteria is dead. Those glasses come out scalding hot from the industrial dishwashers. There aren't people scrubbing over sinks. It's a big, loud, fast and hot machine that cleans them off.
I guess people don't notice them behind the scenes, and assume that they're still manually washed, hence why there's still the obsession with straws.

I'm more annoyed by the lids now. Not only for the fun of having kids who knock their drink over at least once a meal, I don't want an open cup while walking around. Nothing more appetizing than having bugs, glitter, bubble solution, leaves, bird stuff falling in open cups. Doesn't even include spilling it on yourself, strangers, and just on the ground.

The ironic part is we'll probably not purchase in park beverages and just bring more water bottles every day. Even more plastic. Good job.

They better be washing those cups like crazy.. cause who knows how good they are ridding that bacteria off those glasses when you put your lips on it

There are already plenty of drinks in restaurants that don't come with straws (beer, martinis, coffee/tea, etc.). I tend to prefer a straw when drinking soda, but it's not because the cup grosses me out. It's so the ice doesn't touch my teeth.

We had already chosen to bring our own S'well bottles to the park. Its hot and the drinks end up hot and watered down so it just makes more sense.:confused3

Now all we need to do is get Disney to put in some decent bottle fillers, and many of them. I've seen a couple in Pandora, but that's about it. But I guess they like selling those $3 Dasani bottles...

The world has gone nuts. I'm going to start asking for 2 straws at every restaurant I go to now. My wife told me that she was going to have to keep a hand full of plastic straws in her purse at all times, especially when we travel. So I guess those thick chocolate shakes will be a thing of the past. Paper straws just don't work. Plastic straws are an infinitesimal portion of the plastic waste in this country. Plastic bottles make up the vast amount. At this rate, it won't be long before they start requiring bottled water to be packaged in the old style paper milk cartons. Just as the majority of the world's environmental problems come from Asia, the vast majority of plastic pollution in the oceans comes from Asia as well. How much precious fresh water is waisted washing glass cups and bottles. You also have to heat the water, which is primarily done from coal, Nat. gas or Nuclear power and it takes a tremendous amount of power (coal, gas & nuc) to manufacture paper and glass as well and the chemicals used in the paper milling process are an environmental nightmare. I guess I'm going to have to start buying plastic grocery bags online now, and start taking them whenever we go shopping.

Last edited:
The world has gone nuts. I'm going to start asking for 2 straws at every restaurant I go to now. My wife told me that she was going to have to keep a hand full of plastic straws in her purse at all times, especially when we travel. So I guess those thick chocolate shakes will be a thing of the past. Paper straws just don't work. Plastic straws are an infinitesimal portion of the plastic waste in this country. Plastic bottles make up the vast amount. At this rate, it won't be long before they start requiring bottled water to be packaged in the old style paper milk cartons. Just as the majority of the world's environmental problems come from Asia, the vast majority of plastic pollution in the oceans comes from Asia as well. How much precious fresh water is waisted washing glass cups and bottles. You also have to heat the water, which is primarily done from coal, Nat. gas or Nuclear power and it takes a tremendous amount of power (coal, gas & nuc) to manufacture paper and glass as well and the chemicals used in the paper milling process are an environmental nightmare. I guess I'm going to have to start buying plastic grocery bags online now, and start taking them whenever we go shopping.
Sooner or later, we'd have to reverse all these abhorrent virtue-signalling campaigns and ridiculous backfiring bans when the extent of unintended consequences gets too much. I can already see that happening somewhere down the line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter