• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

BWV or OKW?

MarineFam

Remember, It all Started with a Mouse...
We own at Animal Kingdom Lodge and just stayed there in a Studio Savanna view(that was all that was available on short notice) Had a great time but really would rather stay in a 1 Bedroom because of space and Laundry in the room. We are staying in a 2Bedroom in April and have enough points to stay in a one Bedroom Standard at AKV in June but short 4 points we would have to borrow. I was looking at staying at BWV or OKW 1 Bedroom as we wouldn't have to borrow any points. Which would you choose? It would be myself and DW and 2 DS ages 13 and 16.

OKW 1BR are Huge! And they have a pullout couch and chair, so DS won't have to share a bed.
BWV has a better location to EPCOT and DHS, though.

OKW 1BR are Huge! And they have a pullout couch and chair, so DS won't have to share a bed.
BWV has a better location to EPCOT and DHS, though.

Both are great reasons to book. the bed sharing is a great thing but like you said the location is nice too lol:confused3

How is the transportation situation at both

BWV busses always stop at the Swan and Dolphin, (and sometimes also YC and BC) too so bus trips take a long time. So BWV is not great for a lot of MK visits..but boating or walking to DHS and EPCOT may make up for it.

OKW has 4 or 5 internal stops, that bothers some, but not others...I've done BWV 2x but not sure I'd go for a while because we do MK more than the other parks.

We have stayed at both and find the OKW busses to be much better than BWV. The busses at OKW also serve as an internal shuttle.

We just had the same decision..i have DS 15, + 19 They said without a doubt that they preferred BW.They like the action..On some evenings there is entertainment on the BW which is fun and also we like to minigolf over at Swan/Dolphin area... OKW wd be my pick as it's spacious, relaxing and quieter...but i will work with their magical ;) prefBWerence..

the major differences:
both 1bdrms have a king in master, queen-size sofabed in L/R. OKW 1bdrms are 942 SF total, full laundry room, and also have a sleeper chair. BWV 1 bdrm are 712 SF, with stackable laundry unit (in closet).

OKW: one can take a boat to DTD (or about a 1mile walk), and buses/drive to parks. some buildings do not have elevators. Hospitality House units (a booking category) are usually most desirable, else you would need to walk/bus/drive to the main pool, dine, shop at the general store. you can park outside of your unit at almost all buildings (we actually dislike that aspect - the fumes of cars & buses aggravated my asthma, and prefer not seeing and hearing cars/buses on vacation).
BWV: 2 parks are within walking distance: EPCOT (about 5-10 minutes) and DHS (about 15-20), or take a friendship (we prefer the very pretty, short walks). there are restaurants (ESPN, Flying Fish, Big river Grille), as well as a bakery (yum!), ice cream/sweet shoppe, jellyrolls (dueling piano bar), and nighttime entertainment (carny games, surrey bikes, street performers such as magicians) directly on the BW. there is only 1 elevator bank at the BWVs, but many stairwells (which we prefer to use). BW view :-)cloud9:) and standard views each only account for 20% of resort, are only bookable on points (no cash) - and go quickly. waitlisting helps :)

sooooo
OKW: large spread-out resort, with HUGE rooms, and an extra sleeping area.
BWV: much smaller resort, with short walks to 2 parks, lots to see/do at your fingertips.

Another option is to purchase the 4 points from Member Services. That way you wouldn't have to borrow.

If you do go with OKW or BWV then I can't help you as we love them both. If you prefer to be in the middle of all the action then go with BWV. If you prefer a quiet, relaxed environment then go with OKW. Either way you will be staying at a great resort.

Another option is to purchase the 4 points from Member Services. That way you wouldn't have to borrow.

If you do go with OKW or BWV then I can't help you as we love them both. If you prefer to be in the middle of all the action then go with BWV. If you prefer a quiet, relaxed environment then go with OKW. Either way you will be staying at a great resort.

I am thinking that we will be staying at both in the next 2 years as both of them sound great and points reasonable. It will probably come down to what is available at the 7 month mark and see what happens. I will book AKV to ensure we have a place to stay at the 11 month mark and then take a look at OKW and BWV when I can book there. Sounds like we would love both of them. We want to try some other resorts as we go along.

OKW has more square footage for everyone to spread out, a full-size laundry room (not just laundry stacked in a closet), a huge deck to sit at a table for 4 and enjoy, a large dining area by the kitchen, two couches plus a huge, comfy chair to enjoy the living room area, plus if you are near the hospitality house, you can just walk to the front and get on a bus without having to ride around, then off to the parks instead of other resorts (10 min. ride to Epcot or HS, 15 min. to MK, and 15 min to AK if traffic is good) Plus the boat ride to DTD or a quick 3-5 min. bus ride to market place. There are also many activities to do at OKW (not sure about BWV), such as ping pong, tennis, basketball, beach volleyball, shuffleboard, or inside there is pool, air hockey, video games, movies and crafts every day. Our kids have stayed at most of the DVC resorts since they were little, and still pick OKW as their favorite! Enjoy your trip wherever you decide!

I'm assuming you are talking about BWV standard view.

Those can be hard to get at 7 months. If its available, I say grab it, because you might not get another opportunity. If not, then the decision is made for you.

I'm assuming you are talking about BWV standard view.

Those can be hard to get at 7 months. If its available, I say grab it, because you might not get another opportunity. If not, then the decision is made for you.

I was going to say the same thing. You need to own at BWV to get those standard villas.

So if you are limited by the number of points you have, it sounds like OKW is in your future. And it is a great resort.

BWV doesn't have the sleeper chair in the living room, but OKW does. So each of the kids could have their own sleeping space.

There are also many activities to do at OKW (not sure about BWV), such as ping pong, tennis, basketball, beach volleyball, shuffleboard, or inside there is pool, air hockey, video games, movies and crafts every day.

yes, the BWVs also has a community hall, with crafts, ping-pong, etc, as well as tennis court, nightly movies, etc
i've never seen beach vollyball (tho there are daily pool games at luna park), basketball, or shuffleboard though :confused3

Liking the fact of having the Sleep Chair and Sofa so the kids will have separate sleeping area at OKW. They were fine in the Studio at AKV but it would be better with that. If it is hard to get those standard rooms at BWV at 7 months then our decision will be made for us and that's okay this time around. At some point we will hit it that one. It will be nice just to try other resorts too.

I would also be looking forward to the larger space that OKW offers that I have heard so much about:cool1::thumbsup2

1BR Standard at BWV should be OK in June if you book at 7am when your online booking window opens

A studio or 2BR would be more difficult.

There's a chance you might have to play a wait list game for 1 or more days, then it depends on how much you want to "play chicken". (I would book OKW so you are not "homeless" for those day(s)

1BR Standard at BWV should be OK in June if you book at 7am when your online booking window opens

A studio or 2BR would be more difficult.

There's a chance you might have to play a wait list game for 1 or more days, then it depends on how much you want to "play chicken". (I would book OKW so you are not "homeless" for those day(s)

oh I won't be homeless because I am booking AKV at the 11 month mark and then booking the other at 7 month mark. I will book whichever is open out of the two either OKW or BWV at that time though so probably will be OKW

With the ages of your sons, you may enjoy OKW boat service to DTD and Disney Quest. We'd never been to Disney Quest and went our last trip while at OKW, it was a big hit! A nice break from the parks.

If you stay at OKW ask for a first floor room or one of the buildings with an elevator (there are only 3). Otherwise you will have to cart every up stairs. I can't imagine carrying sleepy children and the stroller up the stairs each evening.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter