• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

BWV _ 1 BedRoom Big River Grill

Mommy2TwoMickeys

DIS Veteran
Opinions on this room request... We have a one bedroom BW view booked. The other night I was watching a youtube video of the boardwalk and noticed the HUGE balconies over Big River Grill/ Has anyone stayed in one of these? Did you like it? Can you describe the location as far as distance from elevator, pool,etc. How good is the view of Spaceship Earth?

Originally we fell in love with the view from the rooms at Crest O' The Wave(or whatever its called) but the balconies looked tiny and very little privacy.

Pictures would we fabulous if you have any! TIA :thumbsup2

We have gotten one of those villas with the huge balconies before and they were wonderful. The view of Spaceship Earth was great.

Denise

I was on the second floor above Big River. It was a huge balcony but it's a solid wall so you can't see anything unless standing up. It was June and noise was an issue late at night, people were out on the boardwalk talking until way past midnight. One night I heard a woman scream "hey, people are trying to sleep up here".

I was also on the fourth floor right above it and that room had a small balcony that only opened from the bedroom, plus there was the archway in the view.

We like the size of the balconies and don't mind the solid wall so much. It's nice to sit out there and have some privacy and then be able to stand up and watch what is going on. But those also are the rooms that I've always been bothered by noise.

The one issue about staying on level 2 with a BW view is the noise. The people and the carnival games can be annoying if you are a light sleeper. We have stayed on 2 and 5 and level 5 is much quieter.

We stayed over Big River on the 5th floor last October for F&W. The view of the whole lake with Spaceship Earth in the background was awesome! When we checked in, the bellman checked our room number and quietly said "That's one of my favorite rooms at this resort. You are going to love it!"

The balcony was very long and roomy. We had absolutely no issues with noise, but then I always use the White Noise app on my phone to block out other noises (now if only it worked for dh's snoring!! :rolleyes2)

Great pics.

We have had that balcony as well, really liked the size and action/activity so it was a big hit. We also are up pretty late so not even sure if it was noisy. Solid was was no big deal as we usually stood against the wall with a drink on the ledge.

We stayed in the. 2 bedroom lock-off on the 2nd floor above Big River Grill (same room) on our first DVC trip.

Everything was great except for my incredible urge to drop water balloons.

Thankfully, I am an adult and no longer act upon such urges.

I would be real careful about asking for above Big River in a 1BR. You could get the fourth floor where there is in fact no balcony outside the living room of the 1BR and the only balcony is one outside the bedroom and that is just a small size. The fifth floor above Big River is ideal because it has the large wooden like porchaes but with rails rather than a solid wall at the outside part overlooking boardwalk. One issue with many of the wooden-like porches (which are not actually wood) is the solid wall where the railing would be and when you are sitting down you cannot see the boardwalk over that wall; thus the best wooden porches are those with rails instead of a wall. In essence if you could get the fifth floor fine, but you could be stuck on the fourth floor which is the worst of all worlds in having no living room balcony.

We stayed above the grill a couple of years ago. There was noise in the room caused buy the cooking exhaust fans in the grill, the duct work is in the wall and runs from the grill to the roof. Maintenance told us that they had parts ordered to fix the problem. I also noticed the smell of cooking food from the balcony.

:earsboy: Bill

Are there balconies with the standard rooms too? We are going to stay at BW for the first time this march and have a one bedroom standard booked. I didn't make any requests.

I would be real careful about asking for above Big River in a 1BR. You could get the fourth floor where there is in fact no balcony outside the living room of the 1BR and the only balcony is one outside the bedroom and that is just a small size. The fifth floor above Big River is ideal because it has the large wooden like porchaes but with rails rather than a solid wall at the outside part overlooking boardwalk. One issue with many of the wooden-like porches (which are not actually wood) is the solid wall where the railing would be and when you are sitting down you cannot see the boardwalk over that wall; thus the best wooden porches are those with rails instead of a wall. In essence if you could get the fifth floor fine, but you could be stuck on the fourth floor which is the worst of all worlds in having no living room balcony.
We were in that room last summer. I was very disappointed in it. We also had a water leak problem in the room that took days to resolve. We had no noise issues.

Are there balconies with the standard rooms too? We are going to stay at BW for the first time this march and have a one bedroom standard booked. I didn't make any requests.

Yes. All BWV rooms have balconies. Some 1 bedrooms have one big balcony, some have one huge balcony, some have 1 small balcony off the bedroom, some have one small balcony off the living room, most have 2 small balconies. Not sure how many of each of these configurations are standard view.
If you have a 1 bedroom standard booked, you might hit the lottery and get one the corner rooms numbered x123. They have super long balconies, a partial view of higher Epcot fireworks and a convenient location near a door that is across from the bus stop. The odds of getting these rooms is very low but it might be worth a try.

All the standard room 1BRs have the smaller rail-type balconies for both the living room and bedroom, except that ground floor rooms have patios.

This is our absolute favourite place to stay at BWV!

We love staying late at the quiet pool(while everyone rushes for dinner reservations) and then heading to the room for drinks and cooking dinner. Relaxing in the balcony with drinks....again watching people rush to dinner makes for a lovely relaxing evening!

I've had a standard 1 bedroom with one large balcony running all the way across. It was also covered. It was across from the bus stop.

See this picture, I think it was behind the tree:

http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/showphoto.php/photo/46440/title/boarwalk-resort-0041/cat/990

DebbieB we've just had that same standard 1 bedroom this past October. The view was lovely, the balcony HUGE-from livingroom through to bedroom, and the convenience of the stairs right across the hall leading down to the quiet pool or out to the bus stop. LOVED IT!

Thanks everyone..I called and put the following request:
Big River Grill
5th Floor
Large Balcony

Hopefully I don't get stuck with the 4th Floor Room, But hey..regardless I will be in Disney World!! :banana:

Above Big River Grill,(if I am standing on the boardwalk looking directly at it) Where are the studios located(in the middle?) we booked a bwv studio for our last night and would prefer not to move far.

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter