BW Park Place Inn vs Anaheim Desert Inn and Suites?

Pluto468

DIS Veteran
My March hotel plans fell through because we added a night, so starting over with the search.

The only places with my new nights are Park Place Inn and Desert Inn and Suites. Has anyone stayed at either of those recently?

I've heard the beds at DI&S aren't the best, but we'd have 2 bedrooms, 4 queen beds and 1.5 bathrooms, which would be nice. Not worth it if it's uncomfortable, though.

I've always wanted to try Park Place, is it as nice as it looks? How are the beds and the breakfast? Is the fold out bed comfortable for adults? Are the 2 queen/ sofabed rooms spacious or feel cramped?

Any reason to avoid either of these places? Room suggestions for either place? I don't need silent, but it's nice not to listen to Harbor BLVD all night.

Thanks!

I stayed at BWPPI for the first time a couple of months ago, and honestly, I wasn't as impressed as I expected to be. My interactions with the staff weren't the best, check in took forever, and they were kind of rude (couldn't be bothered type attitude). I was expecting the room to be nicer than DI&S, and it was, although it was BARELY nicer. Just a really tired room with a lipstick-on-a-pig type makeover. I especially didn't love the bathroom. The light switch for the bathroom outside the bathroom, it had a super shallow bathtub, the toilet was loose and felt like it was going to fall over, and all the hinges had been painted over. The bed was marginally more comfortable than DI&S and we didn't hear much noise from Harbor. We were on the bottom floor, south side, about 1/2 back. I was unimpressed with the quality of the breakfast. I felt like it was inferior to other BW Plus properties I've stayed at, and certainly not on par with a Hampton/Fairfield/La Quinta-type breakfast. We were in a double room, so I can't address the space in the larger rooms.

I've heard the beds at DI&S aren't the best, but we'd have 2 bedrooms, 4 queen beds and 1.5 bathrooms, which would be nice. Not worth it if it's uncomfortable, though.
I have stayed in this room type, we really loved the extra space and 1/2 bath, but the beds certainly weren't the best. I believe most of the rooms of this type are on the 2nd floor toward the front. We did hear some noise from Harbor, and music from the bar and Grand Legacy. I can't say I love the valet parking situation here, and the elevators are dirty and slowwwww, definitely take the stairs. Breakfast is super minimal, so when we stay here, we keep some breakfast food in the room (the refrigerators are bigger than most).

My March hotel plans fell through because we added a night, so starting over with the search.

The only places with my new nights are Park Place Inn and Desert Inn and Suites. Has anyone stayed at either of those recently?

I've always wanted to try Park Place, is it as nice as it looks? How are the beds and the breakfast? Is the fold out bed comfortable for adults? Are the 2 queen/ sofabed rooms spacious or feel cramped?

Any reason to avoid either of these places? Room suggestions for either place? I don't need silent, but it's nice not to listen to Harbor BLVD all night.

Thanks!

We stayed at desert inn and suites recently and the year before and the beds are fine to me and my family, we have no issues sleeping. They did mess up my reservation but were able to restore it so I have no idea what happened there.

I’ve stayed in both, I think 4-5 times for DI and twice for BWPPI? BWPPI’s marginally better, but they’re both very basic. If you don’t care about the pool and you just want a place to shower and crash, they’re fine. The family suite at DI is a really good value and a bit nicer- you get a window looking toward the crosswalk, at least on the upper floors. I generally stay there just because it’s less expensive than any other place on the strip across from the entrance. The two motels are literally next to each other, and right at the crosswalk, and that’s the biggest advantage.

I’ve stayed in both, I think 4-5 times for DI and twice for BWPPI? BWPPI’s marginally better, but they’re both very basic. If you don’t care about the pool and you just want a place to shower and crash, they’re fine. The family suite at DI is a really good value and a bit nicer- you get a window looking toward the crosswalk, at least on the upper floors. I generally stay there just because it’s less expensive than any other place on the strip across from the entrance. The two motels are literally next to each other, and right at the crosswalk, and that’s the biggest advantage.
Thanks! How were the beds in the family suite? I was kind of thinking that with four queen beds, at least one of them would be comfortable enough.

I've stayed at DI 4 times and it is our go to! I found the beds fine, loved all the space and the staff were great, the location was also amazing! The weaknesses are the pool (which we used and was fine) and the breakfast was worse than before but still enough to save us some good money! I have no issues with DI&S and recommend it regularly (especially if the price is good!)

Thanks! How were the beds in the family suite? I was kind of thinking that with four queen beds, at least one of them would be comfortable enough.
Oops, sorry, I was gone for a few days and didn't see this. I seem to recall that the beds were okay. I've heard others complain that they are too firm, but I like them fairly firm.

We've been staying at Desert Inn and Suites off/on for 20+ years (first place we ever stayed at when visiting DLR! Such nostalgia! Back when you could get it for $59 or probably even less a night). We've always found it to be clean, safe, and comfortable.

We've also stayed in the Family Suites (C2? I think) and really enjoyed it. TONS of space, the mirrors/sinks are located outside of the bathroom, which is nice. The walls/ceiling seem more insulated than many of the newer hotels, which is a huge plus. They also offer free breakfast, while not much, is nice for a quick bite while walking over to the parks. The elevators are fast and reliable. They have a rooftop area to view fireworks if you don't feel like going into the park. Housekeeping is great, the interactions with the staff have always been decent. The beds have always been fine with us, but we're not super picky so it might be different than others. We were choosing to stay further down at Desert Palms for a while because it is a nicer overall hotel, but haven't done that in years because we love the convenience of just going right across the street if we're not staying on-site....those extra steps can feel awful at the end of a long day!

I don't have any experience with Best Western Park Place Inn, but I'm sure you can't go wrong with either place.

Last edited:
Thanks so much! My main concern was the beds, and it seems like those aren't as bad as I've heard. I don't mind firm, the ones I try to avoid are the super worn out, floppy kind. It seems you can really find those anywhere, though. One of the worst beds I ever slept in was at Candy Cane, but like 7 years ago. I'm sure they're all nice now after the refurbishment.

We always stay at the BWPPI and like the beds - in our experience they have not been the "worn out, floppy kind". :) We usually go in December so using the pool is not on our radar - although I have stuck my feet in there after a long day at Disney to cool them down!

We have never stayed at the other place so I can't compare, but we always choose BWPPI due to its location and breakfast. Honestly the prices have been a more expensive as of late. I do still recommend it as a place to stay, but at the prices I've been quoted lately (well north of $300 11 months out), it is becoming harder to recommend it as a good value.

I stayed at BWPPI in Oct '21 and thought the mattresses were dreadful! I'm not too picky but it was sooo lumpy and I am used to staying at hotels like Hyatt/Hampton/Hilton which have very nice beds. I had stayed about two years prior and had no complaints so either they had that much more use on them or I got a bad mattress! It wasn't intolerable but it was definitely at the very bottom of the list for hotels I've paid over $200/night. But now that it is 2023 perhaps they have changed mattresses by now? Not sure how frequently that happens in the hotel world.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter