BW making me move my reservation to another Resort for 12/1 due to construction delays???

I'm just going to add my two cents after dealing with maintenance issues at BWV this past summer. The communication between the hotel management and DVC member relations was shoddy. The hotel staff was telling DVC things that absolutely did not happen. Example: hotel staff told DVC that "someone in my party was handed cash for the inconvenience" (100% not true). I pushed hard and while I didn't get points back, I did get one complimentary night in a studio (which was the equivalent of getting points back, a little better even with a some strategy).
Why is the world, would Disney give CASH? They give a room credit or a meal at XYZ or Anytime ride pass, never ever ever heard of disney giving cash? And how did they account for the missing cash in the till? If they did give cash, they must have a trail of transaction 23898753570 .....$50 given to guest .

I am here now in the Boardwalk view room I booked for my 10 day stay. If you imagine the Boardwalk view rooms as having 4 areas or wings, 2 of those wings are completely closed off. This includes all the Crest of Waves rooms and the red section next to it. The other 2 wings have a significant number of rooms that are not completed.
I am in room 3029 and am the last room on this floor currently available. The hall door is closed with construction workers going in and out. In the pictures taken at night on December 4th, every room that is lit up is still being worked on!! It is clear that they are way, way behind schedule.

Attachments

• 20231204_223733.jpg
    20231204_223733.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 124
  • 20231204_175850.jpg
    20231204_175850.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 20231204_224343.jpg
    20231204_224343.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 42
  • 20231204_224311.jpg
    20231204_224311.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 20231204_224200.jpg
    20231204_224200.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 20231204_224130.jpg
    20231204_224130.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 20231204_223816.jpg
    20231204_223816.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 20231204_223812.jpg
    20231204_223812.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 20231204_223803.jpg
    20231204_223803.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 70
Why is the world, would Disney give CASH? They give a room credit or a meal at XYZ or Anytime ride pass, never ever ever heard of disney giving cash? And how did they account for the missing cash in the till? If they did give cash, they must have a trail of transaction 23898753570 .....$50 given to guest .

Idk if you will be able to read the screenshot I attached but they told me that this means we were handed cash 🤨 we eventually found that what actually happened was they went to the gift shop and bought $50.03 worth of chocolates and left them in our room.

Again, DVC made it right but the hotel staff were a little rough 🫣

Attachments

• IMG_8666.jpeg
    IMG_8666.jpeg
    11.3 KB · Views: 122
Idk if you will be able to read the screenshot I attached but they told me that this means we were handed cash 🤨 we eventually found that what actually happened was they went to the gift shop and bought $50.03 worth of chocolates and left them in our room.

Chocolate isn't exactly the same as cash,
And $50 of Disney chocolate might be a snickers bar at this point.
I like chocolate but cash has a bit more trading power. :rolleyes:

Glad they made it right but what a mess. Both parties should have immediately known something was incorrect. Nobody hands out cash at Disney.

What if nobody in your group could eat chocolate? Or worse, you had somebody (maybe a child) in your group who wasn't supposed to eat candy but had trouble with temptation?

Years back, I checked into BWV, went to my room, and it smelled very musty. The carpet was damp. I went back to the front desk. They assigned me to another room, and put some money on my room account so that I could have drinks with a friend for my trouble. That really wasn't necessary, but if they're going to do something nominal to make up for your trouble, I think that was better than giving you $50 worth of chocolates -- and then saying you got cash.

I am here now in the Boardwalk view room I booked for my 10 day stay. If you imagine the Boardwalk view rooms as having 4 areas or wings, 2 of those wings are completely closed off. This includes all the Crest of Waves rooms and the red section next to it. The other 2 wings have a significant number of rooms that are not completed.
I am in room 3029 and am the last room on this floor currently available. The hall door is closed with construction workers going in and out. In the pictures taken at night on December 4th, every room that is lit up is still being worked on!! It is clear that they are way, way behind schedule.

Glad you were given your boardwalk view Room. We have noticed all the rooms with the lights on. Clearly many rooms yet to be done. Noticed some workers even as late as after 8 pm tonight. There is plastic covering over the new carpet on the 2nd floor. They are still painting. Can’t figure out why they would put the carpet down first, but who knows.

I got a (407) phone call this morning :scared1:

Turned out it was a welcome message. We are checking in Friday using our first direct purchase reservation.

Got me wondering though - are people still getting bumped from BW View? We have a studio check-in Dec 20th.

I got a (407) phone call this morning :scared1:

Turned out it was a welcome message. We are checking in Friday using our first direct purchase reservation.

Got me wondering though - are people still getting bumped from BW View? We have a studio check-in Dec 20th.
Not sure but I suspect so

We are a long ways off, but this makes me very nervous for our April standard studio bookings. I have two standard studios booked and would be very upset if they only tried to move one room as we would like to stay together. I should probably call and link both reservations so they at least see that both rooms would need to be moved if it ends up being necessary. OP I hope you were refunded points. That’s not even close to an equal trade off. It’s sad that DVC tries to get away with these things.

I posted in the BW thread as well, but just sharing here for an FYI/update on what's happened most recently:

I booked a Boardwalk Villas, Studio-Preferred View through David's Vacation Club for our upcoming stay... in two days. The email indicated: The DVC Owner had reached out to us to let us know that DVC had contacted them to move your reservation over to the Boardwalk, Deluxe Studio instead as they are starting to renovate the Preferred view for the Villas. What this means is that you would be still in the Deluxe Studio with the same bedding layout and accommodations but instead of a view of the pool or the garden, it may be a view of the parking lot or loading Bay.

It sounds like Disney will be compensating us with a $50 gift card each night. Questions:
--Is this routine/normal or should I ask for more? It seems like what I paid for the preferred view is likely in excess of $50/night, but of course it was booked through a third party.
--Have the studios they are moving me to been renovated, or has that not yet taken place?
--Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

I posted in the BW thread as well, but just sharing here for an FYI/update on what's happened most recently:

I booked a Boardwalk Villas, Studio-Preferred View through David's Vacation Club for our upcoming stay... in two days. The email indicated: The DVC Owner had reached out to us to let us know that DVC had contacted them to move your reservation over to the Boardwalk, Deluxe Studio instead as they are starting to renovate the Preferred view for the Villas. What this means is that you would be still in the Deluxe Studio with the same bedding layout and accommodations but instead of a view of the pool or the garden, it may be a view of the parking lot or loading Bay.

It sounds like Disney will be compensating us with a $50 gift card each night. Questions:
--Is this routine/normal or should I ask for more? It seems like what I paid for the preferred view is likely in excess of $50/night, but of course it was booked through a third party.
--Have the studios they are moving me to been renovated, or has that not yet taken place?
--Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

My guess is that the owner is getting the points back and may be the one (or the broker) giving you the GC as a compromise. It may even be based on the point difference…as you booked through an owner and not Disney.

As owners, these things can and do happen. Other than getting points back, not much else usually happens.

I don’t believe SV have been renovated but neither have all the pool/garden view.

As a renter, you’d have to look at the contract with the broker, but my guess is that it has something in it that says they do their best to find similar, if there is an issue.

My guess is that the owner is getting the points back and may be the one giving you the GC as a compromise. It may even be based on the point difference…

As owners, these things can and do happen. Other than getting points back, not much else usually happens.
Thanks - the email I received from David's indicated: Additionally, Disney is providing you with a $50 per night gift card for the inconvenience that this may have caused and it can be picked up at check-in once you have arrived to the resort... but either way I'll take it :)

Thanks - the email I received from David's indicated: Additionally, Disney is providing you with a $50 per night gift card for the inconvenience that this may have caused and it can be picked up at check-in once you have arrived to the resort... but either way I'll take it :)
I would personally figure out the point difference between a standard and preferred view for your stay, and ask David’s to refund you the difference, since I’m pretty sure the owner will be getting their points back.

In the pictures taken at night on December 4th, every room that is lit up is still being worked on!! It is clear that they are way, way behind schedule.
When all of the BW View rooms were blocked off from mid-September to mid-November there was a perception that they would all reopen at the same time. That was never the intention. The issue is the infamous "long hallways" at BWV meant closing down that entire wing. They started with renovations on the rooms closest to the elevators and are gradually moving down the hallway. As they complete blocks of rooms, the hallway opens further.

They did fall behind a bit, as evidenced by the (unfortunate) handful of posts here. But I wouldn't say they're "way, way behind." They never expected to be done renovating all rooms overlooking the Boardwalk before December.

I would personally figure out the point difference between a standard and preferred view for your stay, and ask David’s to refund you the difference, since I’m pretty sure the owner will be getting their points back.
The difference is 2 points per night for Fri./Sat. nights & 6 points per week night. I personally would just be glad they didn’t reassign me to another resort like SSR & wouldn’t seek a refund from David’s/the owner, it’s neither ones fault that DVC was incompetent at managing the construction v. booking schedules & I’m not sure it’s fair to expect the owner to refund monies for DVC’s screw up.
First, we’re not sure they got points back - the post that started this thread got downgraded from a 1 bedroom to a hotel room & DVC wasn’t willing to refund their points; second, even if the owner got their points back for the view downgrade, those points may be useless to them because they’re expiring &/or too few to use for another booking. $50 per night is what Disney/DVC is willing to offer to the renter for the screw up, which isn’t a bad deal IMO & maybe even the offer the owner of the points chose over the return of a few points they couldn’t use w/ no nightly compensation from DVC to the renter.

--Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

You aren't in a position to ask for more. Disney won't talk to you, only the owner - and not David's either. The owners contract with David absolves them of having to take any action with something like this - they made a contracted deal with David to rent X amount of points and any points they "get back" may be useless to them depending on their use year, banking/borrowing status and travel plans. You might be able to push David for more, but I doubt that would be successful.

This is one of the downsides of renting - you got a deal, the downside, you have zero control over the reservation and no negotiating room.

The difference is 2 points per night for Fri./Sat. nights & 6 points per week night. I personally would just be glad they didn’t reassign me to another resort like SSR & wouldn’t seek a refund from David’s/the owner, it’s neither ones fault that DVC was incompetent at managing the construction v. booking schedules & I’m not sure it’s fair to expect the owner to refund monies for DVC’s screw up.
First, we’re not sure they got points back - the post that started this thread got downgraded from a 1 bedroom to a hotel room & DVC wasn’t willing to refund their points; second, even if the owner got their points back for the view downgrade, those points may be useless to them because they’re expiring &/or too few to use for another booking. $50 per night is what Disney/DVC is willing to offer to the renter for the screw up, which isn’t a bad deal IMO & maybe even the offer the owner of the points chose over the return of a few points they couldn’t use w/ no nightly compensation from DVC to the renter.
The reason DVC used for not refunding points on this case is because a hotel room at yatch club when booked on points is similar to the 1 bedroom. I don’t agree with that reasoning, but that doesn’t matter. Here, DVC cannot use the same reasoning, and every other situation I’ve seen where someone was moved to another DVC room, they got their points back.
At the very least, David’s should be providing a refund minus the $50/night credit.

The reason DVC used for not refunding points on this case is because a hotel room at yatch club when booked on points is similar to the 1 bedroom. I don’t agree with that reasoning, but that doesn’t matter. Here, DVC cannot use the same reasoning, and every other situation I’ve seen where someone was moved to another DVC room, they got their points back.
At the very least, David’s should be providing a refund minus the $50/night credit.

I think the contract says that if something happens they will provide something similar so guest isn’t without a room, but refunds are not given.

In this case, I think $50/nigt is pretty fair for same resort, just different view.

Got notice today that our 2-night stay in a Boardwalk View Deluxe Studio is now in a Pool/Garden View Deluxe Studio since our room will not be ready. Will be receiving a $50/night credit to use for a total of $100 for the stay. Checking in Sunday, 3 days away.
Do you know if it’ll be a renovated P/G view studio?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter