BW making me move my reservation to another Resort for 12/1 due to construction delays???

Yacht Club does not have studios. It will be a hotel room, which will be larger and than a BW studio and have more beds. I would want my points back but the thing is we all know this can happen. They can't control construction delays and going at the busy season for DVC makes it even harder.

Could they, would they give undeclared cash RIV 1BR that is not already reserved? Or does it have to be something within the DVC member system points? Don’t they have the power to exchange?

eta - they are offering YC

They could if it is available but the rooms Disney owns could very well be booked up for cash already. Normally, if they have the same size room they will do that…the fact they did not leads me to believe there are none.

What about the 2% DVC they hold?

DVD must retain at least 2% ownership in the resort, but they don’t hold back 2% of the rooms from booking….100% of all rooms declared are bookable by all owners, including DVD…

So, during high demand times as the next few weeks, DVC is pretty much booked at 100% occupancy…which is why they were offered a hotel room at YC, which is outside of DVC.

yes, they Inn has no rooms
No room at the Inn huh...likely excuse this time of year!

But really I'm aggravated for you, an internet stranger. Disney really is a piece of work sometimes. You must be too nice, you need to go all New York on their you know whats. I don't care if on page 1 of the contract it says they can do this, it's just not right, it's disrespectful, and really bad business practice. Refund the difference of points? They should be throwing you EXTRA points for the inconvenience. This isn't some mom and pop outfit where you feel bad for them and say OK I can deal with it for the sake of a small business owner that ran into issues. It's Disney...a megacorp. Nope...you need to bother some upper managers until they make the situation right. It bugs me so much to see the little guy screwed with by callous and uncaring management.

I would demand either the 2BR at Riv for no additional points, or a refund of the points to move to the hotel room at YC. I can't understand the outright refusal to refund points.

How do they decide who to bump? Last reservations made?

YC would be ok to us, but their approach would not.

I would demand either the 2BR at Riv for no additional points, or a refund of the points to move to the hotel room at YC. I can't understand the outright refusal to refund points.
Yeah that is some unmitigated gall of Disney to ask them to pay additional points for this substitution. The construction delays are their fault, and they certainly have extra points they can use to cover the cost to allow this to be booked for OP.

They offered me the 2 bedroom at Riviera, if I paid an additional 80 points. No way was I paying more points for a room I did not need. and technically not in BW area. I'm staying 3 nights. I'm not happy about going to a studio but it's ok since we are staying in the BW area, but to not refund the points from a 1 bedroom to a studio is not right.
I would go right to the top and email the head of DVC explaining the situation. Tell him you have always gotten great service from DVC and are really surprised at this treatment. Say you understand delays happen, but all you are asking for is for Disney to do the right thing and refund the difference between a studio and one bedroom. Who knows how effective but it can't hurt, and you will probably feel better after you send the email.

I found this email on a thread from 2022, so hopefully it is still the right person.

william.c.diercksen@disney.com

Every time my phone rings now, I get worried because I am booked to stay in a Boardwalk view studio from Monday, 12/4 to Wednesday, 12/13 :sad2: It took a lot of effort to get this room booked at the 11 month mark so I will be so upset and disappointed if I receive a similar call :headache:

Every time my phone rings now, I get worried because I am booked to stay in a Boardwalk view studio from Monday, 12/4 to Wednesday, 12/13 :sad2: It took a lot of effort to get this room booked at the 11 month mark so I will be so upset and disappointed if I receive a similar call :headache:
Wow, thank you. I’m sending the email in the morning. Thanks to all suggestions and comments. Very helpful.

I also wonder if they would consider letting you stay in any of the rooms they hold for tours. I feel like last time I went to Disney they had so many rooms available for tours. Maybe there is a BW room that was a tour room they can pause tours in for 3 nights. Or another resort.

If this were me, and I was arriving on Monday, I would personally call.
I would want to get whatever the best room I can before they reached me and made the call.
If your not affected, then great and if you were, you called them before you and may be able to snag a room that
someone else would get.
Good luck!

Yeah that is some unmitigated gall of Disney to ask them to pay additional points for this substitution. construction delays are their fault, and they certainly have extra points they can use to cover the cost to allow this to be booked for OP.

I’m confused how it’s DVCs fault that the construction didn’t get finished
None of this is a surprise. This was planned construction during peak season. It isn't like a freak hurricane rolled through. This was bad planning on Disney's part and they are not handling it well.

Catch 22 though because if they had put off the renovations until 2024 people would continue to be upset.

These things happen and while disappointing someone has to be moved, can’t say I agree that DVC can control delays or that they didn’t on purpose.

I am sure I will get criticized but this isn’t Disney…it’s DVC and when things happen to take rooms out of service, it’s on the association to figure it out and that is us as owners.

The only part that isn’t right is not refunding the owner extra points and I bet that was misinformation and that they will indeed get those back.

If they have to move people because a room category is overbooked, do they contact more people than they need to move, trying to get someone to agree to the conditions - maybe with increasingly better offers? I would seem sensible, as the alternatives might be more acceptable to some people than to others? Some people might need a washer, or the room size, others might see the Yacht Club as an improvement or at least as an acceptable alternative.

If they have to move people because a room category is overbooked, do they contact more people than they need to move, trying to get someone to agree to the conditions - maybe with increasingly better offers? I would seem sensible, as the alternatives might be more acceptable to some people than to others? Some people might need a washer, or the room size, others might see the Yacht Club as an improvement or at least as an acceptable alternative.
I would imagine they start with the accessible rooms, which would be more complicated.

Not really sure how they decide but it would be dependent on the room that has to be taken out of service and how long it is expected to be out of service.

For example, if the rooms in question were supposed to be back in service the same day the OP and others were checking in, they would be the ones contacted to be moved.

With this being construction delays, we have no idea how many rooms and guests are impacted…plus, what might be available for options would also change day by day and week by week.

This happens in the summer, lots more options for them to get the guests something….this happens in December, must harder.

Not really sure how they decide but it would be dependent on the room that has to be taken out of service and how long it is expected to be out of service.

For example, if the rooms in question were supposed to be back in service the same day the OP and others were checking in, they would be the ones contacted to be moved.

With this being construction delays, we have no idea how many rooms and guests are impacted…plus, what might be available for options would also change day by day and week by week.

This happens in the summer, lots more options for them to get the guests something….this happens in December, must harder.
Let’s assume just one room is affected by repairs and they have an alternative offer at a different resort but maybe in a different room category. Wouldn’t it make sense to contact the guests of several rooms in the same category at the impacted resort instead of just the one directly affected? Some people might be more inclined to switch than others and rooms could be switched accordingly. Airlines also usually don’t just ask one guest to switch to a later flight but try to find out who is more willing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter