• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Buzz Lightyear Star Command - This Attraction Needs To Go

Buzz is one of our favorite rides. DH and I would be devastated if it went anywhere! We actually don’t like the Disneyland version nearly as much.

During Disney After Hours, we once rode Buzz 15 times in a row without getting off. It was awesome!!

Lot's of things (EPCOT) that could be updated.... before messing with such a popular attraction as BUZZ. But yeah it could do with a refurbish, updated tech, expanded queue...

I expect once they get done with the 50 Anniversary stuff, that they'll get around to the long rumored Tomorrowland refurbish. But BUZZ will be there...

zurg room. I counted wrong I think. Lol. But I need to get a bunch of hits on the robots arm for 100,000 to do it quick. Also I need to be in the left seat for my angle. Lol
That last one was a crazy one, I actually got my final score in the PHOTO ROOM! Nail biter.

So are you saying you finish off in the "battery room" or the "Zurg room"? Zurg is key to me making it but how much it helps depends on my "driving" to get the angle and the people in the car behind me so they don't block me. I have to drive and shoot and none of this comes naturally to me. I feel better when I get something off the robot but lots of times I haven't got my gun "calibrated" well by then and it requires lots of target hits in the "volcano" rooms.

We took our 4 & 5 year old grandsons in March, they loved Buzz, then we went on the people mover....3 times
We’ve been going 20 years....we have a whole new respect for “old” rides

I feel like Buzz must have a higher capacity than Peter Pan. The Omnimover style rides are usually great at cranking through the crowds. I tried to find some information, but all I saw was the 800 per hour number. That same site though has Haunted Mansion putting though 3,200 per hour. They can't be all that different, can they?

So, I don't know the actual way the number was determined, but I can throw out a few facts:
Buzz is really only set up for 2 people per car, while Haunted mansion can handle 3
I "feel" that haunted mansion cars move faster. No scientific facts behind that one.

No matter what the real number, I guess my point is that to handle more crowds, I think they need to address how many people can be entertained at the same time. Having a ride that can handle twice as many people as the previous ride is in my opinion a good thing to consider.

Don't get me wrong, I love the nostalgia of many attractions, and I hate to see them go. I wish that Disney would basically take a "Circlevision 360" movie of every ride. Then build that into one of those stand alone simulators. Then they could put those simulators in malls around the country. For $5, you can ride any "ride" that you want, and the back of the ticket will even get you $5 off a one day park ticket. Want to ride space mountain, Peter Pan, or even the old Skyway, which could be simulated with a drone recording and a little CGI...

Anyway, back to my point, this is not a new thing for Disney. 20,000 leagues was a very slow loading ride, that took up alot of space. The new mine train takes up only part of that space, and handles way more people.

Always find opinions on this ride so interesting. I didn't realize this wasn't a staple for everyone's family until I was an adult and went with a friend who only has sisters. I have a little (can he still be little when he's 20 now?) brother who recognized Buzz Lightyear as a borderline deity. We never, to this day, skip this ride on either coast and enjoy it multiple times per trip. While I don't believe nostalgia is reason enough to keep something and recognize whole heartedly that it could use a facelift, I hope they leave it and believe they will as it still is very popular.

My daughter hates it, because she can't score very well. She made us skip it in January, but I told her TOO BAD for September.

Tomorrowland is my favorite and we don't even ride half of the rides. I just love being there at night. It's quintessential Disney to me.

Refurb? Sure. Replaced? NO WAY!

Buzz is a favorite of everyone in my family and extended family. We always ride it multiple times. Back when paper FPs were still around, we always brought a Buzz FP home with us. It became our "thing." Even my teens don't consider a trip complete unless they ride Buzz. We let them do a night in MK together (with no adults) and they made sure they rode Buzz.

Hmmm. Maybe Haunted Mansion should go too...It has been there a while...

I know this was sarcasm, but I heard a rumor that it was changing to a Coco theme....

As for Buzz, I love that ride. It surely needs a rehab but I don't think it needs to be replaced.

I know this was sarcasm, but I heard a rumor that it was changing to a Coco theme....

That is unlikely. The stronger rumors I have heard is that they may redo Three Caballeros with Coco, but It is extremely doubtful they will touch the Haunted Mansion.

That is unlikely. The stronger rumors I have heard is that they may redo Three Caballeros with Coco, but It is extremely doubtful they will touch the Haunted Mansion.

We all put up with the constant price hikes and shameless money grabbing that Disney has become addicted to because of our collective love of the parks and the memories and sentiments they stir within us. I swear they could (and still might) start charging us for the air we breathe and we would still go.

That being said, I think I can confidently say that they may have a full on revolt if they dared to change rides such as the Haunted Mansion to include recent IP such as Coco. As much as I enjoyed the film, The Haunted Mansion is an institution in MK and across all the parks all over the world.

Three Caballeros I totally agree with, I think that Coco would be perfect for that attraction and would make it even better than it is, as well as improve certain cultural insensitivities that could be perceived in Three Caballeros.

We love Buzz! One night we just kept riding it as a FP. We would scan in and then book another FP, ride it and get right back in the fast pass line. There were a bunch of us and as we passed the same people still waiting in the regular line we got some strange looks! It was so fun!

It’s a unique shooting ride that kids and adults can enjoy together. The theming is well done. Is it amazing...no. But it fits the the Tomorrowland theme.

We LOVE Buzz Lightyear! TSMM? Ho-hum, it's fun while riding it but not worth the long wait. Besides, TSMM always makes me motion sick! :crazy2:

We love Buzz and TSMM in 09 when we last went! My kids kept wanting to go back over and over again. I much prefer the guns on Buzz than the ones on TSMM. I hate the pulley rope for it, it just seems annoying!

Last edited:
We love Buzz and TSMM in 09 when we last went! My kids kept wanting to go back over and over again. I much prefer the guns no Buzz than the ones on TSMM. I hate the pulley rope for it, it just seems annoying!

Those pulley things really give your arm a workout! At least on Buzz you can just hold down the button (which you can't do on the DL version with the handheld guns).

The TSMM cannons are actually the same ones that were used at DisneyQuest's Pirates of the Caribbean: The Quest for Buccaneer Gold, which is something I dearly miss. It was the best!

We love both Buzz and Toy Story Midway Mania. They are very different rides/games in my opinion and I wouldn't say necessarily that it has to be one or the other. TSMM was a revelation to us last year and one I would happily wait in line for without fast passes, although we will be fast passing it as much as possible this year. of all the Toy Story rides, I'm most looking forward to the Slinky Dog Dash. The Disney Land Paris version is just a circle with slinky chasing his tail, so when I heard they were building Toy Story Land and this would be a ride there, I didn't give it much thought until I saw the concept art for the first time and it made me very excited for the park extension to open. I do think the park would be way better if it brought over the Toy Soldiers Parachute Drop and the RC Racer rides also. Our girls adore those rides and would help ease the line waits as there would be more attractions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter