Buzz Light Year ride at MK - settings?

mskateb

Earning My Ears
Ok, I'm just learning photography, and I feel like every time I get on a low light ride, I just bomb everything. I would love to get something right on my next trip (starts tomorrow!), and I wondered if anybody would mind sharing their settings that worked for them? Maybe if I have a better starting point, i'll have better results. I'll be shooting with my Nikon D7000, and I'm bringing my 35mm 1.8 lens. Thanks for any help!

You'll want the aperture at 1.8.... Then use the fastest shutter speed and lowest ISO you can get away with. Because of all the movement on the ride, you won't want a shutter speed any lower than 1/80, and I'd try to keep it faster -- 1/125 or faster.
You probably don't want ISO higher than 6400, but I'd be ok going as high as 12800 if totally necessary.

I'd suggest trying a shot in A-priority mode, with ISO manually set to 6400. See what shutter speed that forces the camera to choose. If it's choosing 1/125 or faster, you're set pretty well. If it's choosing a much faster shutter speed -- like 1/500 or faster, then you can actually reduce the ISO to 3200 and get better image quality.
If the shutter speed is coming in too low -- below 1/80, then you will need to boost the ISO a little higher.

I'm not sure how auto-ISO works on the D7000. If you can set the parameters of the auto-ISO, you may want to leave it in auto ISO mode, with a minimum shutter speed set of 1/80 or 1/125. Then just shoot at Aperutre-1.8... But make sure the results are coming in ok or you'll need to make some quick adjustments.

That's great advice, thanks! I will try it. I've never used an ISO that high, maybe that's my problem. I'm honestly not even sure what my upper limit is. Guess I'm about to find out. :thumbsup2

I have had good results with 1/60 @ f/1.4 ISO 1250 (Program mode, which is what I use most of the time unless I want a certain effect from A, S, or M).

buzz_1020718.jpg

My suggestion would be to get in your own ride car. Having someone spin the car just as you are about to shoot makes it even harder.

Also, consider shooting on burst (or whatever Nikon calls it) so you can take several shots in quick succession. My second or third in a series like that is usually sharper because of the tiny camera movement from pushing the shutter button.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter