• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Buying things during the marathon

SAHDad

DIS Veteran
Had a random thought the other day - for various and sundry reasons, I will be doing the Dopey slower than originally planned. Between my start corral, and my expected pace, the world showcase will be open when I go through it on the way to the finish line.

Last year, it had just opened as I was going through it, and I wound up with some photopass pics with various princesses, and it got me wondering - has anyone ever actually bought anything* along the marathon course? I was toying with the idea of picking something up, and carrying it with me across the finish line.

(Specifically, I was thinking Germany - a shop and a kiosk. Bonus internets to anyone who can figure out the combination of purchases.)

* other than that obligatory McD's stop, I mean. I'm thinking while in the parks.

Had a random thought the other day - for various and sundry reasons, I will be doing the Dopey slower than originally planned. Between my start corral, and my expected pace, the world showcase will be open when I go through it on the way to the finish line.

Last year, it had just opened as I was going through it, and I wound up with some photopass pics with various princesses, and it got me wondering - has anyone ever actually bought anything* along the marathon course? I was toying with the idea of picking something up, and carrying it with me across the finish line.

(Specifically, I was thinking Germany - a shop and a kiosk. Bonus internets to anyone who can figure out the combination of purchases.)

* other than that obligatory McD's stop, I mean. I'm thinking while in the parks.
Pretzel and Beer?

I've always wanted to run across the finish line eating a turkey leg.

I was going to say stein and beer. It would make for a good finish-line picture.

My wife is going to hand me a Scorcerers hat when I go past the Beach Club so that I don't have to wear that heavy hat the entire race (Hopefully it will be filled with ice too:rotfl2:). As far as buying something, my plan is to finish in under 4 hours. If that is not going to happen, then I'm definitely stopping at Germany to get a beer and pretzel. I'll be wearing the hat across the finish line with a beer in one hand and a half eaten pretzel in the other. Could make for a great finisher photo.

LOL! I love hearing plans like this! I want to hear what else others may buy. Last year I was craving a beer so badly but was afraid to stop because I might not get going again! But I craved a beer since I had run through WWoS and had seen people with them there - you know, the plastic cups, see-through, with condensation on the cup. Never wanted a beer so much in my life!

LOL! I love hearing plans like this! I want to hear what else others may buy. Last year I was craving a beer so badly but was afraid to stop because I might not get going again! But I craved a beer since I had run through WWoS and had seen people with them there - you know, the plastic cups, see-through, with condensation on the cup. Never wanted a beer so much in my life!

One marathon I run each spring has several unofficial beer stations - where people have gotten pony kegs and pour small measures into red solo cups for the runners. I have been known to drop to my knees and do the "we're not worthy, we're not worthy" Wayne's World bit, or joke about liking the station so much that I keep running around the block to hit it again.

I've already accepted that I won't have a fast time (injury), so I might as well have a fun time, right?

I would think the policy is that any alcohol purchased in the park can't leave the park....so I don't know if they police the runners who do purchase at beverage in the WS for the final mile to make sure they don't take them out of the park over by the choir.
So keep that in mind....I don't know if they allow the runners a bit of leeway with this. Only 2 times I considered it beforehand were: a) the cold year and I just wanted to get done and b) last year, when it was so hot and I was near the back and just wanted to get done!

I did buy a coke from one of the machines by the AK bus stop last year. aaahhhh.... It was refreshing.

I would think the policy is that any alcohol purchased in the park can't leave the park....so I don't know if they police the runners who do purchase at beverage in the WS for the final mile to make sure they don't take them out of the park over by the choir.
So keep that in mind....I don't know if they allow the runners a bit of leeway with this. Only 2 times I considered it beforehand were: a) the cold year and I just wanted to get done and b) last year, when it was so hot and I was near the back and just wanted to get done!

I did buy a coke from one of the machines by the AK bus stop last year. aaahhhh.... It was refreshing.

If they give me a hard time, I'll chug the beer (if it doesn't all spill out first). They can try and take my beer, but they'll never get my pretzel! :lmao:

Two years ago, my wife purchased a Margarita and handed it to me in front of the Mexico pavilion. I carried it out of the park and across the finish line. It is in my finisher's photo.

oh man a margarita while we finish the race? that could be awesome! maybe they won't notice or care once people are that close to the finish.

i mean, couldn't we say we just NEEDED the extra salt??

i bet a pretzel would be fantastic right about then. the only problem is that by the time i reach the world showcase i, too, just want to be DONE so i don't know if i'll actually stop.

oh man a margarita while we finish the race? that could be awesome! maybe they won't notice or care once people are that close to the finish.

i mean, couldn't we say we just NEEDED the extra salt??

i bet a pretzel would be fantastic right about then. the only problem is that by the time i reach the world showcase i, too, just want to be DONE so i don't know if i'll actually stop.

As I said, I took pics with all the princesses in the showcase last year - it was nice, actually. Non-runners insisted that I go to the front of the line, since I was "running the race." (Well, close enough - it was a shuffling stagger by that point, more or less.) I stopped and took selfies with the choir. I sang a verse with them (badly). I had no time goal, other than stay ahead of the balloon ladies - at that point, another 10 minutes in Epcot did not matter any.

speaking of the choir, last year they were taking a break when i ran by. hoping to see them while they are actually singing this time! at least for one of the races! preferable the full.

my husband stands at the margarita stand so maybe he can just have one waiting for me ;)

I know a few people who've had beer or cocktails at Epcot.

As an alternate/additional option, have you thought about doing Everest at DAK? (Depending on your corral, pace, etc.)

That is their policy but last year I was handed a brew and finished with it in hand. While I think they will continue to be lenient, all bets are off with regards to security. It's an easy catch if they do decide to police it.

speaking of the choir, last year they were taking a break when i ran by. hoping to see them while they are actually singing this time! at least for one of the races! preferable the full.

my husband stands at the margarita stand so maybe he can just have one waiting for me ;)

Nancy, I am seriously thinking about having a change of clothes and a wash rag in my dry clothes bag so I can turn around and go right back in and just stay in Mexico that afternoon. I'm so worried I'll be slow and won't want to waste the 2 hours it will take to get over to FW, cleaned up and back to Epcot to celebrate!

The choir was singing when I went through last year. I was so hot and tired and in a funky mental state...I just started crying from them to the finish. (weenie that I am)

As for EE...you have to be slow enough that AK is open, but not so slow that you are in a time crunch. It worked out for me last year...got to EE at about 9:10-9:15 a.m.

That is their policy but last year I was handed a brew and finished with it in hand. While I think they will continue to be lenient, all bets are off with regards to security. It's an easy catch if they do decide to police it.

Not if it is in a McFlurry cup from mile 15. :cool1:

McFlurry John

p.s.-maybe I'll get a beer and Brat. That way I'll have carbs and protein.

The only problem with buying beer in Epcot is the timing. They don't typically start serving right when the park opens, so if you're a fast-ish runner who is through by 10 or 1030, you might be out of luck. That's why I get my beer from friends at BW at mile 24.

One marathon I run each spring has several unofficial beer stations - where people have gotten pony kegs and pour small measures into red solo cups for the runners.

Our Hash group in Houston sponsors mile 24 of the Houston marathon, and in addition to monitoring the course & keeping it clean, we hand out beer to runners too. We usually go through a few kegs worth by the time the race is over. There are quite a lot of thirsty runners out there.

Our Hash group in Houston sponsors mile 24 of the Houston marathon, and in addition to monitoring the course & keeping it clean, we hand out beer to runners too. We usually go through a few kegs worth by the time the race is over. There are quite a lot of thirsty runners out there.

Yes, yes we are. And every one of them should be thanking you for it.

I think I passed through Epcot about 11:30 last year - I ran the first bit with my wife, really fell behind the pace I wanted to do, and when she sent me forward, I never really got back on track. Eventually, I decided to quit trying and have fun with it instead.

With any luck, that's basically what I will be doing next weekend, so it is pretty likely that World Showcase will be open.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter