Buying Riv (this incentive cycle)

Sprinkles&Sprints

Mouseketeer
Hi all -

Have been sifting through recent posts but not seeing this - what are all the current Riv incentives (Magical Beginnings, Welcome Home, any other that's Riv specific?) I spoke w/ a DVC guide yesterday and he only mentioned Welcome Home. I'll also be in WDW in March - not sure if there are any onsite incentives.

I'm leaning towards buying 150 Riviera points direct (June use year) - so if I'm understanding I would also receive the 2023 points as well?

I'm in the process of closing on two resale contracts but don't yet have a DVC account so can't see any of this myself...

Thanks in advance!

I'm leaning towards buying 150 Riviera points direct (June use year) - so if I'm understanding I would also receive the 2023 points as well?
March 2024 is in the June 2023 UY, so yes, you would get 2023 points - which you could sell back if Magical Beginnings is available to you.

March 2024 is in the June 2023 UY, so yes, you would get 2023 points - which you could sell back if Magical Beginnings is available to you.

Are you saying that if someone bought say 150 pts direct from DVC now and the UY was June that you'd get 2023 UY points (150) then you'd get another 150 on June 1? But at that point it would be too late to bank correct? (I'm new to this). So you'd either need to book something quickly with your 150 or sell back during magical beginnings if it's available.

Am I stating that correctly?

Are you saying that if someone bought say 150 pts direct from DVC now and the UY was June that you'd get 2023 UY points (150) then you'd get another 150 on June 1? But at that point it would be too late to bank correct? (I'm new to this). So you'd either need to book something quickly with your 150 or sell back during magical beginnings if it's available.

Am I stating that correctly?
When you buy direct they allow you to bank past the deadline.

When you buy direct they allow you to bank past the deadline.

All of that makes buying RIV direct pretty enticing. I've been looking hard at resale. Although in March of 2020 we came within 5 minutes of buying 200 pts at RIV after doing the DVC tour, etc.

The current incentive cycle is not great at all in comparison to where it was last summer and even this past winter....I would hold off for the next round in hopes they do more of a fire sale ahead of the Poly tower going for sale.
When is Poly Tower expected to go on sale? Thanks!

When is Poly Tower expected to go on sale? Thanks!
If the late 2024 opening is to be believed, I imagine sales should start in the next 4-6 months.

With the cabins, we were told about 2 weeks before sales began that they would be starting Feb 1 and opening July 1 so if they do a similar timeline for the tower, and say it opens Dec 1, we could be looking at June/July.

That’s being said, and not that I know anything about construction, but 9mo doesn’t seem like enough time to finish the tower, the entire interior is still basically just studs so who knows what the realistic timeline will be.

Last edited:
I've never been good at timing the market. Incentives could get better when Poly goes on sale. Or, prices could go up. If you are ready to buy, and the current price is a good value for you personally, just buy it.

However, despite my awful track record at timing the market, I'd think if DVC wanted to clear the decks of RIV inventory before Poly goes on sale, they would have started by now.

Thank you all - I definitely agree now is not the best time to buy relative to historical sales....but finding myself in a situation where I will need to rent points next year and it seems like a waste to do that when I know I'll be buying direct at some point soon.

Thank you all - I definitely agree now is not the best time to buy relative to historical sales....but finding myself in a situation where I will need to rent points next year and it seems like a waste to do that when I know I'll be buying direct at some point soon.
Honestly just buy based on when you actually need the points for an upcoming trip. You can try for months trying to time the incentives but if you're having to rent or pay cash for a room then the difference in incentives between the current round and next round likely aren't enough to make up the loss you took from renting/paying cash. Not to mention the hassle of renting points itself.

The current offers run until April 1, 2024.

There may be better offers but if they don’t come along until summer or fall, that purchase wouldn’t get 2023’s points. So that’s a consideration too.

If you can hold off another month, you could ‘straddle’ the new round. Contact your guide that last week of March to draw up a contract under these current incentives and then wait to see next round before signing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter