• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Buying new carry-on luggage...

Just wondering if anyone has a name of decent cheap carry on luggage?

We are downsizing into apartment life until we pick a new house so maybe luggage will be a good way to store some things in a storage facility? Thinking stuiff like photos, knick knacks I love, my Disney Mugs etc. Carry ons are closed, fairly sturdy, on the small size so not too heavy, has wheels and if I use different colors should be able to retrieve stuff easily... maybe. Anyway looking for brands, I was in Walmart this morning thinking they still have those $20 pieces, they do not and boy has cheap luggage gotten $$$. Anyway since the topic is carry ons I am all ears.
I always bought my luggage at Ross Dress For Less…
Edited to add Ross does 10% off for seniors 55+ on Tuesdays..

TheyJust wondering if anyone has a name of decent cheap carry on luggage?

We are downsizing into apartment life until we pick a new house so maybe luggage will be a good way to store some things in a storage facility? Thinking stuiff like photos, knick knacks I love, my Disney Mugs etc. Carry ons are closed, fairly sturdy, on the small size so not too heavy, has wheels and if I use different colors should be able to retrieve stuff easily... maybe. Anyway looking for brands, I was in Walmart this morning thinking they still have those $20 pieces, they do not and boy has cheap luggage gotten $$$. Anyway since the topic is carry ons I am all ears.
My stepMIL just bought a set on amazon that looks like basic shell Samsonite - it was like $80 for 4 piece set. Not sure I’d recommend for travel because I’d worry the wheels and zippers, etc might wear out quickly, but for your purposes they should work. They’re not going to be banged around and wheeled miles through airports 🤣IMG_0707.jpegIMG_0706.jpeg
Look on amazon - i tried shell luggage sets and sorted by price. I bet you could also find individual pieces for ~$20 in different colors of same size.

For those of you who are looking for a place to donate old luggage, our local Salvation Army is collecting anything with wheels right now.

I've almost always traveled carry on only too, but I definitely follow all the rules. It drives me crazy when I have to check bags because people have put multiple things in the overhead. It's definitely not the people with the appropriately sized carry-ons that are taking up all the space. It's the people putting those PLUS their under-seat item, their jackets, their shopping bags, etc. up there too!
If all I have is my personal item, I put it in the overhead bin. I usually fly airlines that allow a free carryon so that space is already mine. I’ve checked my bag to give me more room and my personal item takes that space. And my jacket on top. If I have a carry on, the carry on goes in the overhead, the personal item under the seat and the jacket on top of the carry on. I figure that I am entitled to part of the overhead with my ticket.

If your person item and coat only take up 10 inches of width of the space, I have no problem with that. I was talking about people who put all of the above - which I've seen many people do.

If your person item and coat only take up 10 inches of width of the space, I have no problem with that. I was talking about people who put all of the above - which I've seen many people do.
Yeah, that’s not right. You are entitled to just one place in the overhead.

I’ve had to gate check because I also don’t bother to pay for seats and I’m always last to board. It’s annoying but not a big deal. Frankly, I would rather check a bag than carry it on. We’ve only lost a bag a couple times in hundreds of flights.

It's tougher when going on two week trips to Europe....even in October it can be warm.
For longer overseas trips I still stick to a carryon but with the extra protection of packing an empty tote for items purchased on the road.

As I age I’ve noted that my toiletry bag is much larger than when I was younger. This often means I’ll choose hotels that carry quality goods so I’ve no need to carry from one locale to the other. Love that most hotels offer in room hairdryers now.

For me, a 2 week trip means packing basics for one week: 5 -6 tops, 3-4 bottoms, lots of accessories, wash, and repeat. If I can keep shoes to a maximum of 3 pairs all is well. I also adhere to a color palette when choosing travel clothes; allows me to change my look around with ease and yeah to sink washing!

I’m kind of lucky when it comes to specialty weather gear. I’ve friends who can lend me one day stuff for say, skiing. For regular switch of climate (NYC to Orlando during Dec. for instance) trips, I bring an oversized turtleneck, poncho, cardigan, shawl, etc. that makes for easy layering.

I haven't been on a plane in over 11 years and then it was on a dive trip so two huge checked bags, a carry one each for hubby and I and a personal item each for hubby and I. Of course, back then you got a free checked bag with most major airlines and no way one is travelling carry on only with dive gear.

I actually took at least 10 suitcases and totes of various sizes to our local women's shelter not too long ago. Now we have maybe 3 carry on sizes, 2 medium sizes and way too many backpacks and personal size bags then we need. We have a RV so don't need bags for that, keep it loaded at all times with toiletries and such and some clothes, throw the rest in the back of the truck. I drive to WDW so can take whatever size I need. I am addicted to packing and travel videos though and there are a number out there that go into a lot of detail of what will fit on most international airlines.

I feel like if we were to fly again, I would still probably fly a major airline and most likely check a bag.
Flying these days is like being on a Greyhound bus.

Flying these days is like being on a Greyhound bus.
I heard this expression for the first time from a stewardess on TWA on one of my first Euro trips in the ‘70s. She also warned me to stay away from the beef dishes on the plane ride. I choose something like lasagna instead. My then bestie disregarded her advice and spent dinner looking longingly at my food, LOL.

Sadly, I now consider that flight attendant, a prophet of the highest order.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter