• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Buying new carry-on luggage...

disykat

This person totally gets me
We're flying the lowest economy level on Lufthansa, which seems to have stricter carryon requirements than we've ever seen before. Our old luggage is now too heavy and slightly too big. We are buying new luggage that better fits the requirements because that's cheaper than checking a bag. My husband always complains that our old luggage is just fine. (It took him well over a decade to get rolling luggage when that came out because he had a perfectly good suitcase!) Even he agreed when I showed him all the specs. Hopefully this will work out!

For someone who considers herself somewhat of a minimalist, I feel like I've bought a lot of luggage over the years!

Sadly, I have 3 carry on bag sizes. One for Southwest (my old largest bag 24x16x10), one for Alaska/American (22x14x9), one for Spirit (18x14x8). Flying COO - Carry On Only - is an Art and a Science now. When shopping, read the Specs CAREFULLY - those wheels are part of the Airlines calculations and baggage makers Love to quote sizes without the wheels! I'd venture to say "most" suitcases marketed as Carry On 21" are actually 23" - trying to force my bag into one of those awkward frames at LAX (American) cured me of assuming my older bags were okay.

Last edited:
I bought a Hartmann carryon back at the edges of time 😜
Was able to purchase at a discount and assumed it was a lifetime purchase.

Yes well then came “the invention of the wheel” and after awhile (‘90’s) I gave in to the obviously superior design and bought a Tumi spinner. So far, it’s held up nicely to date and still fits for the international carriers I use.

Bought DGD an American Coaster (?) from a mall discount dept store (can’t recall the name) when she started accompanying us on flights and thank goodness it was acceptable for her solo international trip. I can’t recall what airline she travelled on…maybe BA or Air France?

We're "carry-on" only people, even for long trips and it is indeed a science to pack for a trip of two weeks. We had Briggs Riley carry-ons for some time, but we were "sized out" for those carry-ons. Now we have Away...which I prefer due to the hard shell. It's the original size, not the expandable one. I have found, and it's not fair, that when we're flying in the front of the plane, our luggage has never been questioned. It's one of the best parts....as that stress if removed from the equation.

However, I just read yesterday that SouthWest is cracking down on this. Not just the size of carryons, but all of the other smaller bags that people bring with them. You've seen the people....they'll have a big duffle, a huge crossbody bag, a purse, a pillow around their neck....etc. They look like flying sherpas coming down the aisle ;).

https://www.awaytravel.com/suitcases/carry-on?color=navy_blue

I haven't been on a plane in over 11 years and then it was on a dive trip so two huge checked bags, a carry one each for hubby and I and a personal item each for hubby and I. Of course, back then you got a free checked bag with most major airlines and no way one is travelling carry on only with dive gear.

I actually took at least 10 suitcases and totes of various sizes to our local women's shelter not too long ago. Now we have maybe 3 carry on sizes, 2 medium sizes and way too many backpacks and personal size bags then we need. We have a RV so don't need bags for that, keep it loaded at all times with toiletries and such and some clothes, throw the rest in the back of the truck. I drive to WDW so can take whatever size I need. I am addicted to packing and travel videos though and there are a number out there that go into a lot of detail of what will fit on most international airlines.

I feel like if we were to fly again, I would still probably fly a major airline and most likely check a bag.

There’s a pretty decent article in the NYT about packing for longer trips:

https://www.nytimes.com/article/pac...e_code=1.ak0.qCZH.NCdoj5IXrnGK&smid=url-share

I received lifelong help via a chapter in A. Frommer’s “ Europe on $5/20/25 @ Day”. Might have started me on the road to minimalism.

😎

I just read that article recently!

It's tougher when going on two week trips to Europe....even in October it can be warm. Our upcoming trip to South Africa should be easier. Even though it's 16 days, the last 9 are at Safari Lodges and they will do laundry. I've read that they almost had to start doing this at the lodges because of the weight limit on small planes that many use to fly into certain areas. I guess some guests started stinking up the place so they threw in laundry ;). And so that will save me on that trip.

My husband and I say that you really just need to pack enough underwear, socks...etc for the duration and like 4-5 day outfits, a bathing suit and maybe two decent things to wear for evenings. And then move to a new location every 4-5 days. I usually pack stain removers, febreeze spray and a few packets of powder detergent just in case. I'm not beneath doing some "sink laundry" if need be ;).

I have the Osprey Porter 46 and it has lasted me for years. I haven't had any issues bringing it on Southwest, United and Jetblue. I plan on carrying it on for my Air Canada flights coming up this summer. Outside of my Japan trip later this year, I'm a carry on only kind of person too.

I recently bought a new bag for Japan (that I plan on checking) and I am so out of touch with how expensive luggage is given than I've had my previous luggage for about a decade or longer lol

We are also carry on only people, and I just wanted to throw out that when I was researching new bags, I saw ones that weren’t zipped in the middle, but were more like a box so it zipped at the top. I thought they were genius and would solve all of my problems. I always said it would be so much better to put everything in a tote than having to have two split sides.

Totally wrong. Much smaller than the standard bag. I unpacked that box and could get it all - plus more- in the traditional shape. Guess there is a reason that shape has endured!

European carriers in general and German carriers specifically are much stricter in their regulations than US carriers are. Theoretically US sizes are 22x14x9, in reality almost all of the "carryon" sized bags are over that dimension by one or two inches in at least one dimension. When looking, make sure that it specifies international carryon and read the reviews to see if any specific airlines have disallowed that particular bag.

I actually took at least 10 suitcases and totes of various sizes to our local women's shelter not too long ago.
This is genius! I have so many suitcases and bags that we'll never use again. I will be calling our local women's' shelter to see if they'd take them. It will clear out a large portion of our attic while doing something good for someone else.

I for one am under the opinion that if its not designed to wear on your back, they should have to be checked. One mans opinion.

I agree. When airlines started to charge for checked luggage, many people decided to save those fees and drag their luggage onto the airplane. Often these pieces are too large to fit in the overhead bins and takes longer to get everyone seated. I only carry a small bag with snacks/beverage or a few necessities in the unlikely event my checked luggage is delayed. My luggage is checked to my destination.

I belong to a Facebook group called "Travel Fashion Girls" that has a LOT of advice about bags and accessories. Many of the people on the group pack COO. I did search the group for "Lufthansa" and a couple of posts popped up.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/269188070154196

There is also an archived version of the group (search "Travel Fashion Girl" in FB) which may have some more ideas for you. There is also a website that covers a lot of the packing suggestions for "capsule" wardrobes.

Be aware, once you start reading the website or the group, you will start a list of cool things to buy. My Amazon list is pretty extensive.

I have always admired people who could do carry-on only no matter the length or type of trips. I think one week is my max for carry-on only, and that's only if I don't have any special events to attend and it's not winter! 😂

One advice for all about carry-ons - If you can't lift it to the overhead bin or pull it out by yourself, please check it in. I have seen too many people nearly dropped the bag/suitcase on themselves or someone because they are too heavy.

I agree. When airlines started to charge for checked luggage, many people decided to save those fees and drag their luggage onto the airplane. Often these pieces are too large to fit in the overhead bins and takes longer to get everyone seated. I only carry a small bag with snacks/beverage or a few necessities in the unlikely event my checked luggage is delayed. My luggage is checked to my destination.
yep if it doesn't fit completely under the seat in front of me, it gets checked

Just wondering if anyone has a name of decent cheap carry on luggage?

We are downsizing into apartment life until we pick a new house so maybe luggage will be a good way to store some things in a storage facility? Thinking stuiff like photos, knick knacks I love, my Disney Mugs etc. Carry ons are closed, fairly sturdy, on the small size so not too heavy, has wheels and if I use different colors should be able to retrieve stuff easily... maybe. Anyway looking for brands, I was in Walmart this morning thinking they still have those $20 pieces, they do not and boy has cheap luggage gotten $$$. Anyway since the topic is carry ons I am all ears.

Just wondering if anyone has a name of decent cheap carry on luggage?

We are downsizing into apartment life until we pick a new house so maybe luggage will be a good way to store some things in a storage facility? Thinking stuiff like photos, knick knacks I love, my Disney Mugs etc. Carry ons are closed, fairly sturdy, on the small size so not too heavy, has wheels and if I use different colors should be able to retrieve stuff easily... maybe. Anyway looking for brands, I was in Walmart this morning thinking they still have those $20 pieces, they do not and boy has cheap luggage gotten $$$. Anyway since the topic is carry ons I am all ears.
I would look at overstock places like Marshall's, Beale's Outlet and TJ Maxx. They are cheaper, but I'm afraid not $20 cheap.

For those of you who are looking for a place to donate old luggage, our local Salvation Army is collecting anything with wheels right now.

I've almost always traveled carry on only too, but I definitely follow all the rules. It drives me crazy when I have to check bags because people have put multiple things in the overhead. It's definitely not the people with the appropriately sized carry-ons that are taking up all the space. It's the people putting those PLUS their under-seat item, their jackets, their shopping bags, etc. up there too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter