Buying Disney Gift Cards in Canada

peacefrogdog

DIS Veteran
I know there are threads in this sub-forum about this, but they seem dated so re-posting.

One of my credit cards gives me 5X points for food so hoping to purchase Disney Gift cards at a grocery store (but not Shopper's or Walmart which my CC doesn't count as a grocery). I'm in the GTA - has anyone seen Disney Gift Cards at grocery chains like Loblaws, Sobey's, Metro etc.

Gift cards are everywhere now. Even at Dollaramas. When I first started to buy them back in 2019, they were hard to find (in Halifax).

I will say that using gift cards is the way to go. I brought $800 CDN in cards for our trip in December and it was great not having to fiddle with cash. I did four $200 cards. Just make sure to get your receipt each time you use it to keep track of the balance. Also, don't throw away the card after it's empty. Let's say you buy a t-shirt, but then you decide to return it. You need the exact card you used to get the returned funds put back on. Just keep them all until you get home.

I will say that using gift cards is the way to go. I brought $800 CDN in cards for our trip in December and it was great not having to fiddle with cash. I did four $200 cards. Just make sure to get your receipt each time you use it to keep track of the balance. Also, don't throw away the card after it's empty. Let's say you buy a t-shirt, but then you decide to return it. You need the exact card you used to get the returned funds put back on. Just keep them all until you get home.
I carry a sharpie in my backpack and write the balance right on the card.

No foreign exchange, which is why so many of us use them. It fluctuates based on the day’s rate, which really isn’t a big deal.

Is there foreign exchange surcharge like the credit cards? Also, can we pay DVC dues with these Canadian cards?
Just did it. You have to play around with entering the usd amount you want charged because they don’t show what exchange rate they use

Question about managing Disney Gift Cards. Funds transfered onto new card

I get small denomination GC's from Disney Movie insiders. Some are physical cards, others are digital cards. I have transfererd them onto one card. Do I need to take the backup (original) paperwork/card with me when I go to use them or is the physical card (with the new combined balance) good enough.

When I combined 6 Gift Cards last year onto one Gift Card all I needed was the combined Gift Card.
I didn't get rid of the old gift cards just in case there was an issue.
I only travelled with the one combined Gift Card and had no issues.

Question about managing Disney Gift Cards. Funds transfered onto new card

I get small denomination GC's from Disney Movie insiders. Some are physical cards, others are digital cards. I have transfererd them onto one card. Do I need to take the backup (original) paperwork/card with me when I go to use them or is the physical card (with the new combined balance) good enough.

Just need the card they are combined onto.
I believe those cards are in USD? Something else to keep in mind with them. I have $30 on a USD card now from those points. I have separate CAD card(s) since you can't combine them with the USD ones.

For those wondering, the Amex cobalt cards gives 5 reward points per $ spent at grocery stores. These points can be converted 1 to 1 to aeroplan. Sobeys accepts Amex and is counted as a 5x store.

So if you buy $1,000 in Disney gift cards at sobeys you would get 5,000 reward points which can be transferred to 5,000 aeroplan points.

For those wondering, the Amex cobalt cards gives 5 reward points per $ spent at grocery stores. These points can be converted 1 to 1 to aeroplan. Sobeys accepts Amex and is counted as a 5x store.

So if you buy $1,000 in Disney gift cards at sobeys you would get 5,000 reward points which can be transferred to 5,000 aeroplan points.

This worked for me when I purchased a $500 GC.

However be careful with this. I've heard of people getting flagged by Amex for making purchases out of keeping of usual grocery spends, resulting in their Amex being cancelled. From what I've read, you can mitigate this by: 1. Spreading out your gift card purchases, e.g. purchases 5 x $200 GC over a period of time vs 1 x $1000, 2. Making sure your total amount is not a round number like $200.00 or $1000.00 by buying something else with the GC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter