Buying Aulani

As a west coaster, I can fly nonstop to Honolulu in about 6 hours and it feels even shorter b/c we gain 3 hours. I could to Florida too, but those flights are quite rare and very expensive so usually if we go to MCO it requires a stop and then at least 7-10 hours total, plus we lose 3 hours with the time zone change. I could see that Hawaii would be much less attractive if I lived on the east coast.

As a west coaster, I can fly nonstop to Honolulu in about 6 hours and it feels even shorter b/c we gain 3 hours. I could to Florida too, but those flights are quite rare and very expensive so usually if we go to MCO it requires a stop and then at least 7-10 hours total, plus we lose 3 hours with the time zone change. I could see that Hawaii would be much less attractive if I lived on the east coast.
This is where we are as well. WDW is just as far of a flight and the crowd levels and wait times seem significantly worse than DLand/DCA. We’ll stick to the 2hr flight to SNA….

Also, I feel there are more months I can choose to go to HI and have nice weather… whereas FL has a narrow widow that my Pacific Northwest climatized body can handle. Also, I don’t need park tickets to go to HI…. although the excursions definitely aren’t free.

There is something about the warm Pacific Ocean, the ukulele, an aloha shirt, and a perfectly made Mai Tai….

It’s only been 5 months since I’ve been in Hawaii and my next trip to Aulani isn’t for another 7-months….

stop….looking….at….resale…pricing….

I could see that Hawaii would be much less attractive if I lived on the east coast.

Between DVC and Marriott Vacation Club we can get to some really nice resorts on Oahu, Maui, Kauai and the Big Island. But the long trip from FL with an inevitable red-eye flight on the return really put a damper on it, especially with some other good options with Marriott in the Caribbean (USVI is a favorite).

That said - we're going in 2024 and will be splitting the stay between Marriott Ko Olina and Aulani followed by a DCL Alaska cruise. High school graduation happens only once!

(or rather once per child, so maybe we'll repeat something similar in a few years...) 🙂

This is where we are as well. WDW is just as far of a flight and the crowd levels and wait times seem significantly worse than DLand/DCA. We’ll stick to the 2hr flight to SNA….

Also, I feel there are more months I can choose to go to HI and have nice weather… whereas FL has a narrow widow that my Pacific Northwest climatized body can handle. Also, I don’t need park tickets to go to HI…. although the excursions definitely aren’t free.

There is something about the warm Pacific Ocean, the ukulele, an aloha shirt, and a perfectly made Mai Tai….

It’s only been 5 months since I’ve been in Hawaii and my next trip to Aulani isn’t for another 7-months….

stop….looking….at….resale…pricing….
With the amount of AUL points you have are you basically doing a 1 month stay in a GV each time? 😂

Living in the correct Orange County, it's a split either way. Basically +/- 5 hours in either direction. That's why we own both WDW and AUL points. We alternate between the two every trip. Also, the price difference between SoCal and Hawaii isn't quite so jarring, so it's really not a big deal for us (grew up going to Hawaii anyway).

While Oahu isn't necessarily my favorite island, I'd take any Hawaiian island over Vero Beach or Hilton Head...

With the amount of AUL points you have are you basically doing a 1 month stay in a GV each time? 😂
There are people on this board that own significantly more than me! I only have 600 points AUL points (200 direct and 400 resale).

I think we want to add another 100 points with VGC direct to our current 400 resale so that we could evenly gift contracts to the kids down the road and they both could be DVC-Y. I wrote to my guide yesterday that she has authority to draw up contracts for me up to 50 points in each of my VGC UYs without needing pre-approval and that I’m willing to add in small increments if she sees inventory. I’m in no rush to add and the current resale prices are practically the same or more than direct.

300 AUL points and 250 VGC points would lock in two nice vacations each year for the kids and their families

With that said, if the bottom falls out of DVC pricing I would probably go up to 1000 total AUL points to lock in an annual GV as 400 additional AUL points costs almost as much as 100 VGC points. The dues though… that’s the delta.

Living in the correct Orange County, it's a split either way. Basically +/- 5 hours in either direction. That's why we own both WDW and AUL points. We alternate between the two every trip. Also, the price difference between SoCal and Hawaii isn't quite so jarring, so it's really not a big deal for us (grew up going to Hawaii anyway).

While Oahu isn't necessarily my favorite island, I'd take any Hawaiian island over Vero Beach or Hilton Head...
Did you get your MK?

View attachment 824757

Been in the queue since 9:00. I actually already have am Inspire Key. These are for family members.
Looking at that thread…. makes me never want to give up my current Inspire Key…. my family are all discounted cash tickets, but one key gets us the perks and early access to events. I also travel down for business occasionally and like to pop into the park.

Good luck!

Looking at that thread…. makes me never want to give up my current Inspire Key…. my family are all discounted cash tickets, but one key gets us the perks and early access to events. I also travel down for business occasionally and like to pop into the park.

Good luck!
It's all good. I was being a bit more dramatic in there, just for fun.

There are people on this board that own significantly more than me! I only have 600 points AUL points (200 direct and 400 resale).

I think we want to add another 100 points with VGC direct to our current 400 resale so that we could evenly gift contracts to the kids down the road and they both could be DVC-Y. I wrote to my guide yesterday that she has authority to draw up contracts for me up to 50 points in each of my VGC UYs without needing pre-approval and that I’m willing to add in small increments if she sees inventory. I’m in no rush to add and the current resale prices are practically the same or more than direct.

300 AUL points and 250 VGC points would lock in two nice vacations each year for the kids and their families

With that said, if the bottom falls out of DVC pricing I would probably go up to 1000 total AUL points to lock in an annual GV as 400 additional AUL points costs almost as much as 100 VGC points. The dues though… that’s the delta.
I know I just like messing with you hahah. I need to tell my guide the same. For the amount that's being charged for resale if they sell it undiscounted direct it's worth it IMO just to match the use year on a small contract. I kind of just want like a small 100 pointer just so I can use it during the holidays when I'm home if I decide to not stay with the parents but that's for much further down the road when I'm more financially stable.

Here let me fix this Astroblasters post….

This is where we are as well. WDW is just as far of a flight and the crowd levels and wait times seem significantly worse than DLand/DCA. We’ll stick to the “1” hr flight to SNA….

Also, I feel there are more months I can choose to go to HI and have nice weather… whereas FL has a narrow widow that my “Northern Californian” climatized body can handle. Also, I don’t need park tickets to go to HI…. although the excursions definitely aren’t free.

There is something about the warm Pacific Ocean, the ukulele, an aloha shirt, and a perfectly made “Coconut Mohito”….(although I also love the lava flow)

It’s only been “6” months since I’ve been in Hawaii and my next trip to Aulani isn’t for another “3” weeks….

We’re in the 1000 point club for Aulani but I still look at resale contracts!

Here let me fix this Astroblasters post….

This is where we are as well. WDW is just as far of a flight and the crowd levels and wait times seem significantly worse than DLand/DCA. We’ll stick to the “1” hr flight to SNA….

Also, I feel there are more months I can choose to go to HI and have nice weather… whereas FL has a narrow widow that my “Northern Californian” climatized body can handle. Also, I don’t need park tickets to go to HI…. although the excursions definitely aren’t free.

There is something about the warm Pacific Ocean, the ukulele, an aloha shirt, and a perfectly made “Coconut Mohito”….(although I also love the lava flow)

It’s only been “6” months since I’ve been in Hawaii and my next trip to Aulani isn’t for another “3” weeks….

We’re in the 1000 point club for Aulani but I still look at resale contracts!
🤣🤣🤣

I’ve never tried a coconut mojito…. but I am intrigued! My wife loves the Lava Flow!

My husband and I are looking to buy an Aulani contract and I'd like some guidance. Am I right in prioritizing a subsidized dues contract? Is there a price point that you'd consider an unsubsidized contract? Ideally we'd travel in October or November biannually, so am I right in choosing and October or December use year? Any opinions are appreciated!
We own 100 points at Aulani and go every year and we love it. We live in Southern California and get flight tickets for about $300-$350 round trip, direct for June travel. I did not care if I got a subsidized contract or not since I only have 100 points. The biggest savings is that I don't need to buy my family theme park tickets. My kids love the Aulani "water park" and it is included with your stay. We will be there in August.

We own 100 points at Aulani and go every year and we love it. We live in Southern California and get flight tickets for about $300-$350 round trip, direct for June travel. I did not care if I got a subsidized contract or not since I only have 100 points. The biggest savings is that I don't need to buy my family theme park tickets. My kids love the Aulani "water park" and it is included with your stay. We will be there in August.
That's awesome! I looked for a subsidized with no luck. I settled with 150 points for $90pp. That's enough for two weeks every other year in a studio which is all we need since we are in our 50's. I have four adult kids so maybe we'll add more points so we can get a 2 bedroom once in awhile. We'll see!

🤣🤣🤣

I’ve never tried a coconut mojito…. but I am intrigued! My wife loves the Lava Flow!
Want to put in a strong recommendation for the Mango Mojito at Off the Hook. I, too, love lava flows but can't drink too many heavy drinks during the day (especially after pounding onion rings)-- the mango mojito is refreshing but light.

I'm a Southern Californian who can drive to DLR, but we like the more relaxed pace (and better weather) at Aulani. We also own at BCV and VGF and adore them both, but Aulani is the only spot where I actually feel like I'm relaxing more than I'm hustling. :)

We need to form a thread (or support group?) where we keep an eye out for AUL contracts at fire sale prices. We own 200 points at AUL and I'm already thinking about borrowing my 2025 points into 2024...

Want to put in a strong recommendation for the Mango Mojito at Off the Hook. I, too, love lava flows but can't drink too many heavy drinks during the day (especially after pounding onion rings)-- the mango mojito is refreshing but light.

I'm a Southern Californian who can drive to DLR, but we like the more relaxed pace (and better weather) at Aulani. We also own at BCV and VGF and adore them both, but Aulani is the only spot where I actually feel like I'm relaxing more than I'm hustling. :)

We need to form a thread (or support group?) where we keep an eye out for AUL contracts at fire sale prices. We own 200 points at AUL and I'm already thinking about borrowing my 2025 points into 2024...
If they show up at fire sale prices…. it will be my name in the ROFR thread…. 🤣

The issue is that the moderators are very strict on not mentioning specific contracts for sale or even which broker a specific contract may be listed at…. I think they don’t want sellers or their agents getting on the boards and flooding them with resale listings….

If they show up at fire sale prices…. it will be my name in the ROFR thread…. 🤣

The issue is that the moderators are very strict on not mentioning specific contracts for sale or even which broker a specific contract may be listed at…. I think they don’t want sellers or their agents getting on the boards and flooding them with resale listings….
I support the desire to keep away spammers and scammers…I feel like I’ve seen a few people casually reference seeing good deals in other UYs but honestly the last thing I should be doing is buying more AUL points anyway.

I support the desire to keep away spammers and scammers…I feel like I’ve seen a few people casually reference seeing good deals in other UYs but honestly the last thing I should be doing is buying more AUL points anyway.
I would probably just load up on AUL points… but my wife has expressed interest in the ABD Holland & Belgium River Cruise…. so in my house that means we will be looking at the River Cruise. 🤣

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter