Buying a cruise while on a cruise payment questions.

Heather Heflin

Mouseketeer
Hello I will be sailing on the Dream in March and wanting to purchase my next cruise while onboard but I am getting different answers when I try to find out if I can use Disney gift cards for this purchase? Has anyone done this or is it credit card only?

Just KEEP THE CARD. I used a gift card for an onboard booking a few cruises ago and the agent goofed up and billed my credit card instead. I had nearly thrown the card out, but thought maybe I should hang on to it just in case I needed to cancel and get a refund. Turns out she charged the card on file.

I just paid via gift card for a deposit on a placeholder cruise this last week when I was on board the Dream. I just took my gift card to the Planning Center and they swiped my card there. The only catch is you need to keep the card in the event it is refunded back for any reason, as it will go back on that card.

Go to guest services and have them apply the gift card to your account first so that you have a credit ;)
I didn't think they charged the onboard booking to you stateroom account. I'm pretty sure that they just charge to the credit card that is on file for the room. I haven't used a gift card, but I thought others have said that use could use it there directly

I didn't think they charged the onboard booking to you stateroom account. I'm pretty sure that they just charge to the credit card that is on file for the room. I haven't used a gift card, but I thought others have said that use could use it there directly
Yes, you would have to use the gift card directly. They will not charge the new cruise to your stateroom account. They can use the card that you have on file but it comes up as a separate charge not a charge with all the rest of your cruise charges.

Strange, they wouldn't let me use a gift card to book a place holder on The Wonder in October. Credit card only I was told.

We also were not allowed to use a gift card for our placeholder. They refunded the balance left on our stateroom account back to the gift card and charged the placeholder to our credit card on file.

Strange, they wouldn't let me use a gift card to book a place holder on The Wonder in October. Credit card only I was told.

We also were not allowed to use a gift card for our placeholder. They refunded the balance left on our stateroom account back to the gift card and charged the placeholder to our credit card on file.

Perhaps the policy has changed. OP - definitely take a backup credit/debit card.

I could see the policy changing as I bet many people used GCs as deposits, cancelled and expected either cash or CC credit as the gift card was “used” and tossed out. A

That's crazy because I just used a gift card to place a deposit on a placeholder cruise on the Dream on January 13th. If it's a policy change, not everyone is enforcing.

There is a place on the card to check and sign if you want them to 'Bill the card on file'. Perhaps if you book the placeholder while a CM is at the Future Cruise desk, you can just give them your preferred method of payment.

I was told last cruise must be credit card. This time I will sign up for a new credit card and use the deposit for placeholder to meet the minimum spend. When you convert the placeholder to an actual cruise, you can ask DCL to refund the deposit to the credit card and charge it all to a gift card. I did this approximately 9 months after the bonus posted. Best of both worlds! Get a big credit card sign on bonus and then pay DCL with discounted gift cards! I didn't have a new credit card last cruise. But I did the second half to change over to gift cards I bought at a discount.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter