Buying a camper trailer for the first time?????? HELP PLEASE!!!

SandraC

Longs for the feeling of sandy salt water in her k
Hi all! We have been playing with the idea of purchasing a camper trailer for years. I don't know where to start looking. Basically, we want it for free LOL! Don't want to spend lots of $$$$$ so used is okay. Where do I look for one? Thanks, Sandra

I'm not sure where you can get one for free ;)

We looked and looked for a few years before we finally bought a new one in March 01. We bought a Jayco and LOVE it. The dealer had a great sale and it was actually not much more than a newer used one.

Believe me, we compared them all. To us, you just can't beat the quality of the Jayco.

Have Fun!

Diane

i'm not positive but, i think the magazine called camping world has a spring issue with lots of rv's for sale. if my sis sees this she may be able to confirm it...:earsboy:

Thanks a bunch. My friend bought one years ago from seeing a FOR SALE sign on a pop-up at a RV storage site up the road. I cruise thru there often, but haven't seen one for sale yet. A couple years ago, dh and I went to three dealers. The ones we liked were about $12,000 YIKES! I am hoping to keep it under $5000 CDN ($3500 USF). THANKS! S

SandraC Maybe I can help you a little, I own an RV Dealership. most dealers who sell new RV's will have used ones as well. Just go to a few and ask for the trade-ins in your price range, if there is none at the time that you like just ask them to call you when one hits the lot. That is often the best way to get a good deal.
When a trade is taken by a dealership they now not only have to pay the bank the cost of the new one they sold but add out of pocket the value of the trade-in to make up the whole invoice price that they owe the bank. What this means is the dealership never see's a profit from the first sale until the trade is sold, therefore they will be more willing to move a "fresh trade" for less money. We do it all the time to keep from spending money on used RV's.
$3500 US should get you about a mid-80's travel trailer 18-22 feet with lots of life left in it.

A few things you should know:
RV refrigerators are big bucks, so make sure it works before you buy it.
Ask the dealer to do a leak-down test on the LP gas system. this only takes a few minutes and could save your life.
Take whatever you buy to a tire shop or service station and have the axle bearings packed, this is a good idea with any used trailer.
Then pull that thing all the way to Disney World and have the time of your life. Hope that helps you. David

If your budget is restricted, and you have a good towing vehicle, a pop-up might be the way to go. Visit RV dealers near you for a "gently used" unit.

Good Luck! ;)

Ditto what NHcampers said. We have a Coleman Sante Fe that we purchased in '99, and we've traveled over 15,000 miles with it behind our truck. The only problems swe've had was a leak in the water heater and 12 volt pressurized water system that was quickly remedied. The one piece fiber glass top, large door step, one piece door, and most of all the swing-away galley sold us.

One thing to make sure of - determine what you can tow with your vehicle and make sure you have the wheelbase to handle the length of the vehicle you want. As an example - I have a 23 foot Jayco Kiwi (love that camper) that we originally tried to tow with a Ford Explorer. The Explorer has all the power we need (5.0 liter V8), but the wheel base was small enough that every time a truck passed us on the highway, it was white-knuckle time on the steering wheel trying to keep the rig straight. We now tow with a Ford F-150 Supercrew pickup - I towed the trailer from Central PA to Mt Rushmore this past summer and it towed like a dream.

For some good info, check the following links:

http://www.woodalls.com
http://www.rv.net

You can see my trailer at this location:

http://www.geocities.com/jcjrsmith

Hope this helps.

Jerry in PA

is going??

Another site to check is ebaymotors.com. Also what are you towing with? Have you made a list of must haves, would be nice and bonuses?
We started out with an '84 Jayco it was fine for a while but didn't have ac or a bed for us (we slept on the pull out couch) and not something we would haul as far as disney. This fall we fell into a deal on a 1998 Mallard. Bigest plus was a bed for us (still had the bunks for the boys) We had to give up a couch but the table folds down and for the most part we don't eat inside so this works. Go to as many camping shows as you can. Boston has a huge one (this might be a had being in Canada). They will have all sorts of choices along with deals on the used ones. We also can find model ones at closeout prices as well as ones that campgrounds use for a few yrs then upgrade. You just have to ask. Good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter