Buyers Remorse...need advice please.

OK, look -- there's 1 DVC resort in California. There's ummm SSR, BLT, AKL, BCV, BWL, + the 1st one whose initials escape me at the moment & maybe something else that I'm missing in WDW (sorry!!! -- I've only stayed @ SSR so far @ WDW) ....anyway there's way more places to stay at DVC resorts in WDW than in California, so your chances of getting a great place to stay at 7 months at WDW are pretty darn good. Now, on the other hand, if you don't own at VGC and you want to stay at VGC once it's sold out, you might have a hard time getting that reservation at 7 months. It has 98 rooms. SSR has what 9000 rooms?

Eventually my little sweet petuntias will grow up :mad: and then we may not want to (or we may want to :3dglasses) spend every vacation riding the real space mountain! (Ghost Galaxy was fabulous!!!!! DH is so jealous I snuck on it w/out him while on business trip!) but then we may go to HH, Vero or Hawaii sometimes on our points. Or we could go to a WDW area DVC and not buy park tickets, but go to the Space Center, the beach, other Orlando stuff, eat Key Lime Pie, etc. Whatever we do, it won't be be hard to use the points, even considering that I have freaky fears of the water and refuse to consider a cruise, don't care if you offer me a free incentive I won't go & my kids can't go either....made it tough for our guide when he had to offer that as one of the possible incentives when we bought...was funny......Even if they add more DVC in California, they can't do better than the location for VGC -- where would they put it? At the rumored 3rd park at the Strawberry fields? Renovate part of Disneyland Hotel? The Paradise Pier? None of these would be as close or as nice as VGC if they happened. Personally, I love Disneyland! We can't wait for Cars land to be finished. My DSes are so excited for our upcoming trip in November when we get to stay @ VGC, we're coming again in Jan & hosting some cousins -- should be a great time! We don't know when we'll go to WDW again. The last trip was exhausting & Eeyore's little black raincloud followed us around SSR, so we're waiting awhile on that one....anyway, I'd stick tight & be very happy w/ VGC.

:) Well said! (you forgot OKW). I'm having doubts about keeping OKW since I really love VGC..and I had to cancel my OKW trip and will now need to rent or lose points. To me..a real flying hater, I have to get up alot of courage to get to WDW. I had the courage, but when I started adding up the other stuff, plane tickets, park tickets, show tickets, tour tickets and food, I just decided we couldn't do it..not after a forced bathroom remodel. Now..DLR..I have the room, AP, train is cheap..nearly a free trip!
BUT to the point of the OP..if you really want to stay in WDW most of the time, maybe calling your guide and seeing if you can cancel and do BLT or AKV would be for you. Another possibility. If you think you might go to DLR every three years, split your contract ..have a small one for VGC and a bigger one at WDW. I'd really call my guide and express all your doubts and see what he/she can offer.

If you are wanting onsite WDW resorts, I would cancel the California points. I think as DVC builds more offsite locations that booking onsite WDW will get harder. There's a rumor that National Harbor will be DVC - I can't imagine that people buying there will only go to National Harbor. I really think the 7 month window may get tougher for Walt Disney World - especially if you need certain times of the year. Don't base your purchase on what people have been able to do up to now - things are changing with the growth of DVC and I'd be afraid of having problems down the road.

SSR points are a bargain resale - there are reports of some selling for as low as $65 a point. SSR has the longer ending date of 2054, too.

Unless you have to finance, buying points direct from Disney is possibility a mistake. You need to decide which resort is your favorite then do the numbers and compare buying resale to a Disney purchase.

My advise to you: Get out while you can. That way you can relax and make your decision in your own time. Prices may go up, but right now incentives are low and will probably return.

As you are thinking about this, being a newlywed couple, is this the type of long term investment you want to make right now? Will you be able to afford it when kids come along? You'll have yearly fees for a long, long time.

Good Luck!

You may not have your first choice of resorts at 7 months, but you should be able to find something. If you are looking to book an EPCOT area resort during fall/winter that will be difficult because of EPCOT Food & Wine fest. And early January can be a problem everywhere because of the Marathon, so keep those time frames in mind.

So, if I'm hearing that Wilderness Lodge is popular during early December and Epcot Resorts are popular during October, shouldn't the DVC rearrange the point values to reflect that? I mean, won't that naturally just happen over time? If a certain season is really popular, they'd charge more points for that season to capitalize?

So, if I'm hearing that Wilderness Lodge is popular during early December and Epcot Resorts are popular during October, shouldn't the DVC rearrange the point values to reflect that? I mean, won't that naturally just happen over time? If a certain season is really popular, they'd charge more points for that season to capitalize?

They just did a point rearrangement for 2010 to take some of the weekend points and spread them out over the weekdays. DVC can do that anytime they want to.

We own at VGC and just booked VWL for April 2010 using our VGC points. We do however also own at WDW(BLT,AKL, & SSR) I book at our 11 month window and have still never stayed at SSR because something else opens up at the 7 month window. If you have your heart to stay at VWL, then you really should buy a resale there. My husband and I are just happy being in Disney and only in our room to sleep and shower, so where we stay is not as important to us..except for BLT.

Everyone here is different and how they use their points and when they go. The 7 month window for me and being able to reserve other DVC might be a different time of year then when you go.

We bought VGC because when we go to DL, we want to be sure we get into that one resort. So far my VGC are now being used in WDW.

Good luck, but only you know your real needs and what you will be happy with.

Sorry, but I also had the thought...let's say I really want to book a trip at one hotel, but am ok staying at AK as a back up. Well how would that work? Would I book AK and then if I can get into the other drop AK and book it? Or do I need points to cover both?

First question, about swapping with a DVC member who wanted to stay in GCV....yes, you can do this, and I think there are actually two ways (correct me if I'm wrong, please people). One way would be to make the ressie for the person, like you'd make it for your friend, if you were letting him use your points for a stay that you wouldn't be joining him on, and the other way, is that as members we are able to make one transfer per year of our points. So you could transfer your GCV points to a DVC member from, let's say AKV and they could transfer their points to you. Then each of you could make your reservations at the other's resort.

I think I'm right on this, if I am, someone please correct.

As far as the above question, since you are looking at a non home resort, you'd only be able to book at 7 months out. Therefore, you could ask member services to see which of the two resorts you really want has availability and book at the first one available, wait listing for the second one, (if the second one is actually your first preference).

Good luck with your decision, and above all enjoy your membership!

First question, about swapping with a DVC member who wanted to stay in GCV....yes, you can do this, and I think there are actually two ways (correct me if I'm wrong, please people). One way would be to make the ressie for the person, like you'd make it for your friend, if you were letting him use your points for a stay that you wouldn't be joining him on, and the other way, is that as members we are able to make one transfer per year of our points. So you could transfer your GCV points to a DVC member from, let's say AKV and they could transfer their points to you. Then each of you could make your reservations at the other's resort.

I think I'm right on this, if I am, someone please correct.

As far as the above question, since you are looking at a non home resort, you'd only be able to book at 7 months out. Therefore, you could ask member services to see which of the two resorts you really want has availability and book at the first one available, wait listing for the second one, (if the second one is actually your first preference).

Good luck with your decision, and above all enjoy your membership!

Except that each member is allowed one transfer per use year, in or out, not both...so you could not transfer your points to another owner, and in turn, they transfer their points to you in the same year.

We've been members at OKW since '96. Although we LOVE OKW (the atmosphere and especially the size), we do like to explore others. Now that the grandkids are here, the Beach Club pool is the best. We've gone on average, twice a year and every time we wanted other than OKW, only once did we not get the reservation.

My recomendation is to buy where you would most like to stay and everytime you get a reservation somewhere other than your home resort, consider it a bonus.

Yes, remember the annual dues will go on for years, so make sure you're ready for that. As for direct from Disney or resale, I initially bought resale and my add ons were direct only for convenience becuase of my use year. But there are now TONS available on resale.

Good Luck!

:) Well said! (you forgot OKW). I'm having doubts about keeping OKW since I really love VGC..and I had to cancel my OKW trip and will now need to rent or lose points. To me..a real flying hater, I have to get up alot of courage to get to WDW. I had the courage, but when I started adding up the other stuff, plane tickets, park tickets, show tickets, tour tickets and food, I just decided we couldn't do it..not after a forced bathroom remodel. Now..DLR..I have the room, AP, train is cheap..nearly a free trip!
BUT to the point of the OP..if you really want to stay in WDW most of the time, maybe calling your guide and seeing if you can cancel and do BLT or AKV would be for you. Another possibility. If you think you might go to DLR every three years, split your contract ..have a small one for VGC and a bigger one at WDW. I'd really call my guide and express all your doubts and see what he/she can offer.

Splitting your contract is an excellent way of owning two resorts. but can you buy in first time at two different resorts to make up the minimum of 160 points? Or do you have to buy the minimum 160 at one resort for a first buy in? If so, you have to really look at the points charts and see how many you'd need for your preferred room type and time of year in each resort to decide how many you want in each resort. For instance, a studio standard view in January in AKV for a Sunday through Thursday stay is only 50 points. You could pick the resort, room size and time of year you want to be in WDW and same for California and split the contract that way, and then as you add on over time:goodvibes, you can do so in small increments (minimum 25 point purchase direct through Disney, no financing) to each resort. Before you know it, you'll have a nice amount in each one!

I am new to DVC, just bought at BLT in June. My husband & I thought about buying DCV ever since it opened way back when. We were just never 100% sure about DVC so we waited & waited & waited......
We always stayed at CR for our vacations. We love everything about CR! One of my sisters who owns DVC at SSR suggested I stay at other resorts even for just one night of my vacation to see if any other WDW hotel would feel as great to my husband & I. We did like other WDW hotels & did enjoy changing resorts, but CR felt like home & I couldn't see buying DVC & not staying at CR. We were thrilled when we heard about DVC building BLT at CR but still didn't jump the first day. We looked at our finances & what we felt future vacations would look like. We realized we could afford to buy enough points to go every other year. Our children still love WDW & seeing I never got tired of it, I doubt they will.
I have been to DL a few times, my children have not. I do hope to bring them some day, but do not plan to go there very often.
My suggestion is buy where you really want to stay. What if after a few years it becomes very difficult to book anything but your home resort? Are you going to be happy with DL? If yes, then you made the right choice, if no or you aren't sure, get out of your contract while you can & think about where you really want to stay every year. If you just want WDW & don't care which resort, then look at resale for the cheapest deal you can get at a WDW DVC resort.
Good luck!

My answer is probably not going to be a popular view here but I have just gone though this thought process my self. I live in WA so a 3 day weekend for a quick trip to Disneyland is probably going to be a more frequent trip that spending ½ a day to fly across the country, but we do intend on going to WDW at lest every other year.

It was hard because I think I would most likely not be able to say at the Grand Californian if I did not have that as my home resort do to of the limited number of rooms. So after much deliberation, I decided that the AKV was the right chose for me because I love it and if I am going to Disneyland it is easy to find a close hotel that is at least a 3 stair hotel for under $60 a night, usually I can find one for under $40 on Priceline. To me, when I stay at WDW it is about being surrounded by the magic of Disney. When I go to Disneyland, and I do love Disneyland, it is just not the same; you are not secluded and surrounded by Disney. I am now waiting on ROFR (Day 20).

So in short if staying at a Disney hotel is important to you at Disneyland than you are making a great choice because I think it will be harder to get a room there if it is not your home resort for sometime. On the other hand if you’re ok staying at a non-magical hotel when in Cal than choose something at WDW and if you can get a room when you go to Disneyland at the Grand Californian great but don’t expect it.

This advice is free and you know what they say about free advice. Sometimes you get what you pay for. What is most important is to do what works for you. No one can for sure predict if you are going to have problems or not at booking at a resort that is not your home.

I'm a new member who bought resale. Since I bought in the summer, I have had great luck getting reservations within the 7 month period (even less than 7 months). I find that you can't always get something specific, but I have been getting great reservations. So if you have to have a studio with a particular view at a particular resort, you may not get that but I always find something great - especially if you waitlist here and there.

I bought SSR resale because of the great price, low dues and on-site. I've stayed at SSR and like it well enough but honestly it would not be my first choice (though it has many advantages and is beautiful). I actually can't believe how great it is working out - so far during holiday periods (not christmas), I've reserved BLT and Boardwalk. I didn't necessarily get my choice of view and for BLT and I waitlisted, but it keeps working out.

Over the summer, on very short notice, I even got a week at WLV. When I bought I figured most of the time I would have to stay at my home resort SSR, and I was ok with that. But the reality has been that at even less than 7 months, I've been getting the hotels I thought I would not be able to get. Flexibility is key (i.e. what do you have in a studio on x dates . . . ) and a willingness to split stays for longer visits.

Don't have regrets. If you are flexible, you'll always find something good at disney world. And I go agree with the others that given the small availability at disneyland, that may be the harder ticket at least for a while.

My opinion is this. First off, we are not DVC members. For our next trip to WDW, we will be renting DVC points for our stay. For us, I have run the math over and over and dollar wise it does not make sense for us to join DVC. However, we do want to try it and see if that changes our opinion. If it were me, I would cancel that DVC membership and try renting first. This will provide you the opportunity to try out DVC resorts at a substantial savings and decide whether committing to a contract is the way you want to go.

If the bulk of your trips will be at WDW, then owning at VGC will only allow for booking those trips at 7 months out.

I think that in most cases, you will get something at WDW so I think it comes down to your flexibility and whether the cost savings for owning at VGC (vs. buying at one of the other WDW resorts) is worth being flexible.

If you are okay with having any WDW resort for your stay, even possibly having to split stays when there to make the whole resevation work, then owning at VGC is okay.

For me, I would not buy at VGC if WDW is the place my trips would be. I would buy at one of the WDW resorts. Resale is a much better option if you can pay cash. If you must finance and have to buy through Disney, I would consider something other than VGC. Saving money to buy VGC is important but not if it means you own something that disappoints you in the future.

We bought BLT because that is where we wanted to be. It probably cost me $5000 more than SSR would have through resale, but in the end, I would rather spend $18000 for something I LOVE than $13,000 for something that I don't.

My opinion is this. First off, we are not DVC members. For our next trip to WDW, we will be renting DVC points for our stay. For us, I have run the math over and over and dollar wise it does not make sense for us to join DVC. However, we do want to try it and see if that changes our opinion. If it were me, I would cancel that DVC membership and try renting first. This will provide you the opportunity to try out DVC resorts at a substantial savings and decide whether committing to a contract is the way you want to go.

I agree I would not buy it before I tried it. This summer I took at trip and split my stay between Animal Kingdom, The Boardwalk and Wilderness Loge. I love AKV and soon after my stay starting working numbers. This link is what helped me decide if it was right for me. Change the numbers so they fit what you are looking for.

http://www.mousesavers.com/DVCvsCash2008.xls

I have never had trouble getting something. SSR is huge, so it is very rare you can't get something there unless you wait until the last minute at a popular time.

And SSR is a fine resort. Expect the Treehouse Villas to fill up quickly, but you should find something there.

Of course try right at 7 months to get the best choices. But we've gotten into just about every resort outside of our home resorts at all different times of year.

Relax!

I must be the luckiest DVC person in the world because I have yet to have an issue booking at the 7 month mark for any request I have. I don't get these gloom and doom people who scare people.

Unless you are looking for something really really hard like a Grand Villa at BLT over New Years or a Conceirge at AKV (lets face it those are hard even at 11 months!) there are usually very VERY many options available for you at pretty much any time of year.

Case in point, Last month I decided on a whim to go over President's day - FIVE months out and I got a BWV studio BW view and had my choice of all resorts for some kind of room. I did have to waitlist one night but already got it.

So I say for the most part you can get what you want when you want for 95% of your requests

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter