• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Buy Riv direct now, or wait for VGF2? Help please !

Morganjacar

Earning My Ears
Hi there,
My husband and I have recently decided to buy DVC after some health scares have made us want to create lasting memories with our kids with something to look forward to every year .
Anyways- family of 6, one is a new baby. We were going to buy resale poly for a great price. (163 pp for 150 points) but that's not enough points for us. THEN we were going to buy direct riviera at 250 points, but are scared about the resale restrictions ( no one anticipates need to sell, but it's smart to know the risk of a purchase ) . Then we just saw that VGF will be expanding and selling more points direct.
Should we wait it out and buy VGF2? Will those points be good at the original VGF, will the VGF2 points be way more expensive than riviera?
I feel like poly is easy enough to get at 7 months and having a home resort that we can get a bigger villa in is important. Our top three faves are poly, VGF and Riv.
Thanks so much. Any help you guys can offer will be so appreciated!

VGF2 will be able to be used for current VGF rooms so you could book 2BR's there. I wouldn't buy Poly for a family that size because it's just studios (unless you want to buy a lot of points for bungalows).

VGF2 will be able to be used for current VGF rooms so you could book 2BR's there. I wouldn't buy Poly for a family that size because it's just studios (unless you want to buy a lot of points for bungalows).

so would you buy now at riviera or wait for GF?

With the size of your family Id prepare for the future and buy resale SSR so you can get a 2 bedroom in the future. You can book at the 7th month window until then.

If youre flush with cash buy what you need at VGF or Riviera and add on points later.

Its a pretty safe bet VGF2 will have the same restrictions.

I think you want to find a home resort that can accommodate your whole family. As others have said Poly doesn’t offer that. Look at the points needed for vacations to accommodate the whole family, 2023 point calendars are out, I know you said VGF2 but I thought that was only studios being added. Knowing that you will probably need 2bdrms mostly in the future might help you decide on a home resort.

Hi there,
My husband and I have recently decided to buy DVC after some health scares have made us want to create lasting memories with our kids with something to look forward to every year .
Anyways- family of 6, one is a new baby. We were going to buy resale poly for a great price. (163 pp for 150 points) but that's not enough points for us. THEN we were going to buy direct riviera at 250 points, but are scared about the resale restrictions ( no one anticipates need to sell, but it's smart to know the risk of a purchase ) . Then we just saw that VGF will be expanding and selling more points direct.
Should we wait it out and buy VGF2? Will those points be good at the original VGF, will the VGF2 points be way more expensive than riviera?
I feel like poly is easy enough to get at 7 months and having a home resort that we can get a bigger villa in is important. Our top three faves are poly, VGF and Riv.
Thanks so much. Any help you guys can offer will be so appreciated!

Tough to answer this question without knowing VGF2 pricing.

What we do know is that Riviera prices are going up to $207pp in February.

i would base your decision on which Resort you love the most. Riviera is close to Epcot. VGF is closer to MK and on the monorail loop. Both are beautiful resorts. Both are heavy on the points for a 2bedroom or grand Villa (for sleeping 6+).

the best bang for your buck (and advantageous point chart) for 2 and 3 bedroom villas is Old Key West.

Good Luck in your decision and Happy New Year!

With the size of your family Id prepare for the future and buy resale SSR so you can get a 2 bedroom in the future. You can book at the 7th month window until then.

If youre flush with cash buy what you need at VGF or Riviera and add on points later.

Its a pretty safe bet VGF2 will have the same restrictions.
Thanks for your response. You think the expansion points for grand Floridian will have the resale restrictions?

Thanks for your response. You think the expansion points for grand Floridian will have the resale restrictions?
No, the expansion points are part of the original deed so there should not be any restrictions. VGF2 would probably be my first choice, but it does expire 6 years before RIV. I would probably buy direct at VGF 2 then resale at SSR to expand points for 2 bedroom units as your family matures

A lot of assumptions are being made on the boards regarding restrictions or no restrictions. Disney has been doing many unexpected things lately, so it’s anyone’s guess about VGF2.

Saying that, the point charts for VGF are the highest of any WDW DVC resort. Not sure if that’s important to you. Also, I’m not sure how competitive those rooms are —definitely something worth researching.

VGF prices are very high and point charts are high - so, you really need to love that resort, since trading those points to stay elsewhere would be a poor value.

Happy DVC researching! Lots of knowledge on these boards.

Check out the gfv2 price thread. Lots of good posts

what we do know is come feb riv base price gets more expensive

what I am expecting is gfv2 and riv both cost $207 base price per point. Dvc will then add incentives for each resort to drive sales as desired. This is my assumption and not announced pricing

id expect gfv2 to have decent incentives for the first month or two, probably making gfv2 cheaper than riv for a while

personally if you like riv I’d buy before feb. I doubt the incentives as of feb will make the price anywhere near price today with incentives

if you prefer gfv2 more I’d roll the dice and wait

final food for thought, getting 1 or 2 beds at gfv is going to be really hard. Not impossible if you own there (impossible if you don’t) but harder than it is now. A family of your size will need either two studios or a bigger room.

Personally I love the new resort studios

A lot of assumptions are being made on the boards regarding restrictions or no restrictions. Disney has been doing many unexpected things lately, so it’s anyone’s guess about VGF2.

Saying that, the point charts for VGF are the highest of any WDW DVC resort. Not sure if that’s important to you. Also, I’m not sure how competitive those rooms are —definitely something worth researching.

VGF prices are very high and point charts are high - so, you really need to love that resort, since trading those points to stay elsewhere would be a poor value.

Happy DVC researching! Lots of knowledge on these boards.
If they did put restrictions on it, it will be a huge headache for DVC. Everyone knows that RIV has restrictions. But if half of VGF points have restrictions it’s going to be a hot mess. This is probably one reason why Reflections is on the back burner. The restrictions are reducing some sales. They can get away with the restrictions with the new DLT in California. Huge money for rooms there on property. RIV sales are stagnant, probably for several reasons. Even though we cannot trust DVC, though they are supposed to be fiduciary, they did state it would be part of the existing VGF current condominium association . That does not have the restrictions in it. Terry made the announcement and now she is gone. Let’s wait and see, it should only be a few months, when they start selling VGF2 contracts what they have suck in.

so would you buy now at riviera or wait for GF?

Honestly, it’s tough because they are adding 200 studios and that is a lot of new points that could be competing for the small number of 2 bedrooms they have there.

RIV and VGF are my top two resorts so I think they are great choices. It comes down to where you would rather stay if you can’t trade out elsewhere.

IMO, the concern over resale restrictions is overblown. It has helps its own better than anyone thought it would, even given the few sales that have occurred. I myself paid more than I thought I would because I love the resort,

I am also one who doesn’t think resale value should be part of the decision. We looked at any return at all on the buy in cost as a bonus. But, its important you be comfortable with it.

We do know that VGF has done well in resale, but what we do not know is how the addition will impact it yet, given that the price has not yet been announced.

Just remember you can buy almost any resort direct-so you aren’t restricted to those two choices. If those are the two you love the best-I’d also suggest buying unrestricted points-but if you love other resorts, push your guide on those.

Just remember you can buy almost any resort direct-so you aren’t restricted to those two choices. If those are the two you love the best-I’d also suggest buying unrestricted points-but if you love other resorts, push your guide on those.
I just don't want to spend $250 a point direct :( . That's why riviera is so appealing. Im kicking myself for missing the earlier incentives.

I just don't want to spend $250 a point direct :( . That's why riviera is so appealing. Im kicking myself for missing the earlier incentives.
At worst riv costs $207, with incentives much less

im betting gfv2 costs $207 with lower prices to be had with incentives

unless you buy a sold out resort like poly you are not paying $250

I would buy Riviera over VGF at this point if I were interested in anything other than studios. I think with VGF2 being all studios the resort is going to be out of balance from what we originally bought. I was considering adding on at VGF but the more I started to think about them adding on 200 studios I kind of lost interest. But we mostly stay in 1br. I still love VGF but we probably won't add on any more points there. I know some feel that Riviera is not technically an Epcot resort, I tend to consider it one and I am a huge fan of the Skyliner! Even when the Skyliner is down, they have a bus ready like clockwork. The only thing they need to figure out is when you are heading home and they shut it down, you have no idea and need to go all the way to the front of Epcot to catch the bus. VGF is probably a better overall location than Riviera for dining and now that they have the walking path open it is even that much better.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter