Buy May 2021 WDW tickets now or wait?

jwb811

Earning My Ears
We currently have a room-only reservation at CBR for May 27-June 2, 2021. I am wondering if we should go ahead and buy park tickets now or wait a few months to see where things stand given all of the COVID uncertainty? Am I correct that if I purchase tickets now but decide not to go, I can change them to a later date by paying the price difference, if any (we were planning to go May 2022 anyway, so I would probably push them back a year). Thoughts and advice greatly appreciated!

The main reason to buy park tickets would be to reserve park days. At this point, there's no rush, as the parks have plenty of availability. Also, it's not clear if reservations will still be required that far out; we might be back to regular FP by then. The other reason would be a fear of price increase, but I don't see WDW increasing prices in the near future. I could be wrong, but I don't think there's currently enough demand for that, especially with offerings still reduced and half the resorts closed.

Once purchased, your tickets retain their purchase value. The purchase price of a wholly unused ticket can be applied to the purchase of a new ticket. If your new tickets are more expensive, you pay the difference. If your new tickets are less expensive, Disney keeps the extra.

From my perspective, it doesn't make sense to tie up money with a non-refundable purchase. I don't see a benefit to immediate purchase, and if your trip is postponed, Disney has hundreds or thousands of your dollars you can't get back. Will you eventually use the credit? Probably, but it does lock you in, and there could be a better use for that money between now and 20 months from now.

The main reason to buy park tickets would be to reserve park days. At this point, there's no rush, as the parks have plenty of availability. Also, it's not clear if reservations will still be required that far out; we might be back to regular FP by then. The other reason would be a fear of price increase, but I don't see WDW increasing prices in the near future. I could be wrong, but I don't think there's currently enough demand for that, especially with offerings still reduced and half the resorts closed.

Once purchased, your tickets retain their purchase value. The purchase price of a wholly unused ticket can be applied to the purchase of a new ticket. If your new tickets are more expensive, you pay the difference. If your new tickets are less expensive, Disney keeps the extra.

From my perspective, it doesn't make sense to tie up money with a non-refundable purchase. I don't see a benefit to immediate purchase, and if your trip is postponed, Disney has hundreds or thousands of your dollars you can't get back. Will you eventually use the credit? Probably, but it does lock you in, and there could be a better use for that money between now and 20 months from now.
All great points...thanks!

I am reserved for May 27 to June to June 6 and I have paid for room and tickets. However to be honest if they do not have character meet and greets by then my daughter is calling for a pushback to late May 2022.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter