Buy another contract, rent points, or stay value / moderate with current room discount?

hmccarter

Mouseketeer
Addonitis is hitting. I am wanting to plan another trip! We have used our points. Should I buy another contract? Rent more points? Take advantage of 30% room discount and stay value or moderate?

Is it devastating to stay value / moderate after staying Deluxe? We have stayed at Art of Animation, and it was super cute. I would do it again. However, I LOVE staying Deluxe.

I am not a DVC member yet, so I cannot give you the best advice regarding addonitis. However, I have stayed at all 3 categories of Deluxe, Moderate and Value. I think if you go in with reasonable expectations then you will have an enjoyable stay at value or moderate. I also think some of these hotels have benefits that Deluxe resorts offer, such as multiple modes of transportation (Skyliner and boats to Disney Springs), great lounges (Moderates) and pool slides (Moderates). I really enjoyed my stays at Port Orleans Riverside (and FQ) as well as Pop Century. Again, not the feel of a deluxe, but still had a great time. While I have not stayed there, I have heard great things about the Tower at Coronado Springs. Maybe do a cost comparison of these resorts vs renting points and see what is the best bang for your buck. Good luck!

I would find it hard to stay there but we we pretty much did deluxe all the time because we were a family of 5.

Buying, of course, always gives you the option for more than just one trip so you have a use for more than just once, I’d go for it.

Prices right now resale are good and out to f the cost of the rental or cash stay towards it..since you’d do that regardless..makes it an even better deal!

Addonitis is hitting. I am wanting to plan another trip! We have used our points. Should I buy another contract? Rent more points? Take advantage of 30% room discount and stay value or moderate?

Is it devastating to stay value / moderate after staying Deluxe? We have stayed at Art of Animation, and it was super cute. I would do it again. However, I LOVE staying Deluxe.

Similar situation here and we elected to add on. We did BLT twice in 2021 plus Riviera and SSR in 2022 (revenge travel!). I've owned since 2008 at AKL and have never borrowed until that second 2022 trip, leaving us 100 points short for June 2023 UY. Solution - add on at SSR!

I've mentioned elsewhere, but there are multiple options we've never considered despite availability. There are 5 of us and we're big MK fans - the BLT 1 BR with 2 baths works great for us. With the add on points, we'd be able to consider 2BR at BCV or BWV which tend to be available at 7 months for summer reservations (kids in school so summer works best for us). Also thinking about an Aulani trip someday, which we would have never done without the add on. I think if you love to go and you're going to use the points, the resale pricing at the moment is pretty attractive.

Also curious to see if others come to the same conclusion I did - we liked Riviera a lot and really considered adding on there direct to preserve all the flexibility. However, with the resale restrictions you'd be sitting on an immediate very large "paper loss" and at $200pp for direct points it just seems like the savings aren't strong enough to make it worthwhile. So we took the plunge on resale, at about half the cost for SSR!

The Waldorf is $250 on my August dates. I am thinking about keeping the points and staying there instead.

The Waldorf is $250 on my August dates. I am thinking about keeping the points and staying there instead.
It is a really nice property with very good service for sure (when we went last year at least). We really enjoyed the lazy river next door that Waldorf guests have access to.

You posted this question in the “purchasing DVC” section of disboards so you know what you want to do already and you just want all of us to tell you that you are doing the right thing by adding on. 😂

When are you planning this trip for? Resale is taking about 60 to 90 days from when you make the offer till points are in you account.

If your potential trip is far enough out, I would price out what you would spend on the hotel with the discount after taxes and see if the extra money spent is worth the added cost of another contract. Good luck!

I actually really like the moderate resorts. I own DVC and stay in moderates frequently. Our home resort is BWV and we love it there. So, do I miss walking to Epcot and DHS? Absolutely. But I know that going in and I sacrifice that benefit when I stay at other DVC resorts as well.

I was "over" the value resorts, which is part of why I bought DVC. So, I'd rather not.

I don't rent points and have been looking for a transfer for awhile but haven't found the right one (right points, right price, right owner). So, that'd also be a no for me.

Of course, add on if you want to and can afford it! Also, if you are putting what you'd spend in cash toward DVC, it makes the math work in your favor. My last add-on was 30 points direct because I "needed points right now". lol But seriously, the small add-on gave me access to 90 points and saved me from using about $1500 on cash trips. So, in Mickey Math, my $6000 add-on was $4500 or $150/pt for unrestricted points. YMMV but I love Mickey Math.

How far out is this new planned trip? How important is resort and specific dates? Say BeachClub a certain week or other next spring, by the time you buy and get points loaded what you want may already be gone. Best options depend on the particulars. Likely to always need extra points each year? If not, then maybe transfer or renting is better.

We prefer to stay deluxe because we enjoy resort time and EEHs, and feel like we’re getting nice DVC rooms for what we’d pay moderates anyway. We’ve done value and moderates in between, with no regrets because they fit those park heavy trips. I’d choose a skyliner resort for this unless an insane deal otherwise.

I am wanting to plan another trip! We have used our points. Should I buy another contract? Rent more points? Take advantage of 30% room discount and stay value or moderate?
If you are relatively new in your membership, I would discourage you from buying more points. It is easy to get into a buying frenzy early in your timesharing career.

If on the other hand you've been a DVC Member for a while, and you realize you want to travel more often/for longer visits/in larger units, then by all means!

Is it devastating to stay value / moderate after staying Deluxe?
I haven't done the Value resorts yet, so I can't comment there. But, I think the Mods are the "sweet spot" in Disney's hotel portfolio. They strike me as a nice upgrade from the Values in terms of a theme that doesn't hit you over the head with HEY GUESS WHAT YOU ARE AT DISNEY WORLD. They typically have a nice slate of amenities--good pool areas, a sit-down restaurant, a well-provisioned counter-service location. Especially if you've been doing studios, I don't think it's that big of a drop off at all.

You posted this question in the “purchasing DVC” section of disboards so you know what you want to do already and you just want all of us to tell you that you are doing the right thing by adding on. 😂
THIS!! haha!

nailedit.gif

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter