Buy a small contract or OTUP?

RichVIII

Mouseketeer
So I recently purchased a small contract since we continued to buy OTUPs. Of course we short again and borrowed well into next year. I know we should buy a bigger contract but also thinking about the fact that in a few years my DD will be in college and maybe our stays will drastically decrease. In that sense, it seems silly to buy even more points and that we should just buy a few more years of OTUPs and call it a day. We have a big vacation (non-Disney) planned this summer so a new contract is not in our future. Thoughts? Others in the same boat. The collective “think” is appreciated.

We're kind of in a similar dilemma. Borrowed all our points, and end up buying some OTU points each year. Even with expensive closing costs for small contracts, most still wouldn't compare to the cost of the OTU points. We have young kids (one elementary, one preschool) and each year we've taken the oldest out of school for 3-4 days for a trip. As the kids get older and they can't miss school, or get too busy with extracurriculars, we worry we won't be using as many points. Still, I am on the lookout for a small contract. If it's a desirable contract, you could always sell it if you find you don't need it down the road. $20 is a lot to pay per point (OTUP). I guess it depends if you are buying a couple points per year, or close to the max 24.

We're kind of in a similar dilemma. Borrowed all our points, and end up buying some OTU points each year. Even with expensive closing costs for small contracts, most still wouldn't compare to the cost of the OTU points. We have young kids (one elementary, one preschool) and each year we've taken the oldest out of school for 3-4 days for a trip. As the kids get older and they can't miss school, or get too busy with extracurriculars, we worry we won't be using as many points. Still, I am on the lookout for a small contract. If it's a desirable contract, you could always sell it if you find you don't need it down the road. $20 is a lot to pay per point (OTUP). I guess it depends if you are buying a couple points per year, or close to the max 24.
Experience has shown me that you still go on the trips, but your window is limited to the more expensive travel periods.

IMO, It actually can make DVC even more valuable because you lock in the accommodation costs to deal with the higher transportation costs…. (Flights during Spring Break 😱)

if your buying OTUP every year you are certainly better off buying a contract. Those points are costing you $20 a year versus buying a small SSR contract (Since if you are using OTUP you don't even need home resort advantage) and the points will only cost you like $12 a point with the buy-in. Yes, it's more up front, but in the long run it's costing you a LOT more if your doing it EVERY year. Now if it's only a few points...sure maybe, but if it's close to the full 24 points, I say you get a new contract to match your needs.

Another question. I have three contracts with two different UYs. The two UYs are on the same DVC portal screen, but are entirely separate in terms of booking, dues, waitlists, etc. (I can have four waitlists spots, two from each UY.). Can I buy two sets of OTU points (so 48)? Or is it 24 per account, regardless of other factors?

Thanks.

Another question. I have three contracts with two different UYs. The two UYs are on the same DVC portal screen, but are entirely separate in terms of booking, dues, waitlists, etc. (I can have four waitlists spots, two from each UY.). Can I buy two sets of OTU points (so 48)? Or is it 24 per account, regardless of other factors?

Thanks.

two different UY means two different accounts, so yes you can buy 24 OTU points for each account. However, you cannot combine those OTUP on the same reservation or even transfer them between accounts, so as long as you are using them on two separate bookings, you should be perfectly fine.

two different UY means two different accounts, so yes you can buy 24 OTU points for each account. However, you cannot combine those OTUP on the same reservation or even transfer them between accounts, so as long as you are using them on two separate bookings, you should be perfectly fine.
Thanks!

Gee we’re in the exact boat as OP in 2027 we’ll have to start borrowing we have next years trip already booked. In 2026 we’ll still. Have points that are banked
Our is the poly and we go the end of Jan so are OTU points hard to get at the poly at 7 months We like going for a week so im
Planning on booking 6 nights at 11 months then at 7 buy OTU points to add the last night. Problem though is we’re 25 points short for a week and you can only buy 24 so we’ll still have to borrow 1 point

Are there any other options

I might suggest considering what we did this past year (or year and a half), once with each of our use year contracts: transfer points. I was able to book at the grand californian during Halloween at 11 months (we own at AKV and Poly)... and then another 100 pts transferred are allowing me to bring my parents along this June to split stay with us at both our resorts.
If you routinely keep watch, you can find people offering this at reasonable prices - sometimes even great deals when they are stressed points - which you might be able to swap out and use instead of your own (banking your own for later).

Gee we’re in the exact boat as OP in 2027 we’ll have to start borrowing we have next years trip already booked. In 2026 we’ll still. Have points that are banked
Our is the poly and we go the end of Jan so are OTU points hard to get at the poly at 7 months We like going for a week so im
Planning on booking 6 nights at 11 months then at 7 buy OTU points to add the last night. Problem though is we’re 25 points short for a week and you can only buy 24 so we’ll still have to borrow 1 point

Are there any other options

Rent/transfer points instead of getting OTUP. They're about the same price and you can get them at the resort you want to stay at so you can use them before 7 months.

Interesting on tranfer points how does this work. Thanks for the idea
Some rental places will also do transfers as well. You are only allowed one transfer per use year per membership, but I've rented out points this way through The DVC store/Timeshare store a few times. You can go to their website and its under point rentals as "Member to Member Transfers" I assume other DVC rental places do it too.

The advantage is you don't have to rent the reservation and be locked into it. Of course you have to transfer the number of points that the person who's offering the points up. So maybe you only need 50 points but the only contract available is for 100. The good news is if you don't need them all in one year you can always bank some of them once you've transferred them. (Transferred points can't be borrowed FYI.)

So I recently purchased a small contract since we continued to buy OTUPs. Of course we short again and borrowed well into next year. I know we should buy a bigger contract but also thinking about the fact that in a few years my DD will be in college and maybe our stays will drastically decrease. In that sense, it seems silly to buy even more points and that we should just buy a few more years of OTUPs and call it a day. We have a big vacation (non-Disney) planned this summer so a new contract is not in our future. Thoughts? Others in the same boat. The collective “think” is appreciated.
I had about 800 points pre covid and at used then each year but times have changed .. Disney has changed … sold 600 in 22
And will be selling remainder this year …. Disney has changed and not for the better. Harder to get reservation with dvc - discounts are all but gone for annual pass and. Dvc. Time to move my business to universal. I was very happy with the price I received for my points in 22 and seems I will get even more per point this time around. I was thinking of keeping 50 points but not sore that is allowed

I had about 800 points pre covid and at used then each year but times have changed .. Disney has changed … sold 600 in 22
And will be selling remainder this year …. Disney has changed and not for the better. Harder to get reservation with dvc - discounts are all but gone for annual pass and. Dvc. Time to move my business to universal. I was very happy with the price I received for my points in 22 and seems I will get even more per point this time around. I was thinking of keeping 50 points but not sore that is allowed
NEVER buy a time share with the mindset of getting ongoing discounts that are not guaranteed in the Public Offering Statement. When I purchased, in 1992, we got free park admission until the year 2000. We knew it was ending, and it may not be replaced with park entry media discounts of any kind. For years, there was NO ticket discounts at all for DVC. I'm grateful to currently be able to buy the Sorcerer pass, which otherwise is restricted to FL residents ONLY. There have almost always been DVC shopping/dining discounts, usually mirroring the ones available to AP holders, sometimes a bit more, sometime a bit less. Universal holds no real attraction to me, the one time I was there (admittedly years ago) it was basically a copy of the park I grew up with in CA. I would like to see the Harry Potter stuff, but that would be a one and done for me, like Rocking Roller Coaster or Seven Dwarves Mine Train at Disney...I'll go if others I'm with want to go, but on a solo trip, I don't care whether I get on it or not. If you're sure that DVC will no longer be of an advatage to you as far as room costs, by all means, sell it. The value of ANY timeshare is in the your use of the timeshare for your personal trips.

Is Disney expensive? Yep, it sure is...but so is Six Flags, Universal, Sea World and any other major theme park. Vacations are expensive, no matter where you go. And have you priced pro sports events, lately? Or the Traveling productions of Broadway Plays? They all cost just as much, if not more, per person as a day at Disney.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter