"But they won't remember it..."

Again I agree it's a personal opinion. Our first trip DD was 3 and DS was 1. DH and I have amazing memories! Seeing the innocence of children is priceless to me. That trip left us with some amazing memories. A few of my favorite are when DS fell asleep in his stroller just as we reached the front of the line at character spot. We have pictures of Mickey patting his head, Minnie giving him kisses, Pluto petting him, and Goofy doing silly poses around him. That trip we also took a moment to rest and a CM starting blowing bubbles for the kids to chase when Peter Pan showed up and played with just to the 2 of them! Again priceless memories for me and DH even if they wouldn't remember it. I will admit some times were struggles but it's no different then if we would've stayed home and gone out to eat or out somewhere. We've gone every year since and each year has had different and amazing memories. I wouldn't change anything for the world.

We waited until everyone was potty trained before taking any lengthy vacations. Many people take infants & toddlers on week-long vacations, but not my cuppa (and I'd be the one doing most of the changing, cleaning up etc. so I make the rules). However, I don't judge those who do - they can obviously handle it better than I can.

My DM is a 'judger'. Just yesterday she went on & on about how tired we were all going to be after spending our March break at Disney & how expensive it all must be. I just smiled and asked her if it wasn't expensive living in a 4 bedroom house all by herself...

Seriously, I don't understand why people even care what others do! Sheesh!

Our first time with DS was when he was 11 months... WE still remember it and we loved it!
Second time he was 2 and sometimes he tells us that he wants to go to see Buzz and Mickey and the Castle again :-)
We will go back in May, he will be 4
I don't regret and I share every little memories :-) He also love to see the pictures from both trips :-)

We took our DS when he was 2 and then again at 5 and then our DD at 2 and again at 4. Yes it was a little challenging when they were 2 but the memories are priceless. I wouldn't change a thing. We also had a few friends and family looking at us like we were crazy for taking them when they were so little but the bottom line is that they are my children and I'll take them wherever I like.

My ten year old's meeting with Cinderella when she was 2.

Attachments

• tori2.jpg
    tori2.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 8

My DS has been five times and he's two. When we go to the airport now, the first thing he says is, "Mickey?" Of course he won't remember it, but the memories I've made, the photos and experiences we have, they are priceless and I wouldn't have it any other way. The photos of him meeting Mickey for the first time are amazing and still make me tear up a little. We're going again in October, too - his third MNSSHP!

My daughter will be 1 when we take her to Disney in November.... stupid question - do any of your kids actually stay up late enough at that age to see the fireworks? I was excited for my girl to see Disney fireworks but then i'm thinking, wait.... she goes to bed at 7pm now, and I'm sure her bedtime will remain around the same time.... so i dont think fireworks and MNSSHP will work for us this time around....

We waited until our daughter was 7 because it's an expensive trip and we wanted her to remember it. We made a HUGE mistake! I wish SO badly that we had went sooner.

For our daughter I think 3 or 4 would have been the perfect age to start going to WDW. (I wouldn't want to deal with diapers in WDW, but that's just me :))

Waiting until she was 7 is a HUGE regret for me now.

I was a toddler when my parents took me several times - and it's true that I don't remember anything.

But as others have said, my parents remember a lot of the fun things we did and I still look at pictures from those trips and laugh about the stories my mom tells me. There's also a picture of me holding hands with Cinderella at a character breakfast that I have a copy of which proves my love for her started young :)

Waiting until she was 7 is a HUGE regret for me now.

Ha, not us. I saw so many meltdowns and parental challenges with the under 5 set that I just don't get it. But then, I am a little more tightly wound with those type of things. My DD is 6 and the last time we went to WDW she was in utero. She was the whole reason for the hiatus and it worked out pretty well. Went from RD to about 8PM before starting to poop out.

Ha, not us. I saw so many meltdowns and parental challenges with the under 5 set that I just don't get it. But then, I am a little more tightly wound with those type of things. My DD is 6 and the last time we went to WDW she was in utero. She was the whole reason for the hiatus and it worked out pretty well. Went from RD to about 8PM before starting to poop out.

I definitely know what you mean! It completely depends on the kid/family I think. :sunny:

Ok - I know many of you bring toddlers to WDW. Did you get a lot of people giving you the buzzkill line of "Why? They won't remember it?".

I was just told that yesterday - of course by someone who has never been. I responded that *We* will remember it, and that they will really enjoy themselves, and we will enjoy watching them enjoy themselves.

Since when is WDW just about the kids anyway -- I'm sure some of you can relate that WE adults enjoy it ourselves, right??

Backstory -- last Dec our WDW trip included DH, me (pregnant), DS5, DS3, and DD1, and my parents. After the trip we all decided that DD1 had the most fun! While she did slow us down, we loved seeing her experience everything. This year, since we wanted to focus on doing rides all day, I just took my DSs, now 6 and 4, and my mom for a 4 day trip. Fantastic time and there is no way we could have accomplished as much with a toddler and or baby along (or my Dad & DH :laughing:). But I can't forget how much my DD enjoyed last year. So now I want to take just the girls for short, but slow paced trip with both of my parents.

When I've told people this, a couple have already started in with the "What? Why? They won't remember it! That's nuts!", etc. So I'm turing to you, the DIS, my fellow WDW addicts to vent. Surely there are some of you that can agree that even though a toddler may not remember the trip when they grow up, it's still worth doing? My parents are not going to be around forever, and giving them the joy of seeing their grandchildren enjoy Disney, to me, makes it worth it. It's not just about the kids memories.
My opinion is don't worry what other people think. To put it in perspective do you remember everything? My parents took me when I was 14 and 15. While I remember going and a few things and a few pictures I wish I remembered more. We have done 30 trips in the last 12 years and do I remember everything no. However since I was a child 30 some years ago I have a lot more pictures and video to remember. That argument does not make sense. Live in the moment. Your baby will have plenty of pictures to enjoy having gone as a baby.

We heard it a lot before our first family trip when my niece was 13 months. The memories for the whole family are priceless. She was so sweet with the characters, and had a great time. She went again for her 3rd birthday, and again last year when she was 7. Each trip has been different and magical and while she only remembers the last two trips, we have great memories of her first trip.

We are beginning to hear it again as we are planning the trip with my nephew for his second birthday next year, and you know what? We don't really care and are still going forward with the trip.

No one has said anything to me. I kind of expected it, but no one has. I know my in-laws are judging us for going when we don't have a decade's worth of income saved up in an emergency fund first, but I haven't heard a word about the kids' ages.

We are DVC members and fortunate to be able to go on multiple trips, so it is definitely worth it to us even though *she* may not remember. I will cherish the excitement she had seeing Mickey 'in-person' the first time, and I will remember the awe on her face as she experienced the magic as a very small child. She's two now, and quite the pro at character greets!

Last edited:
this past September I had a trip planned to Walt Disney World with both my mom and my dad, as well as my husband and daughter, ages then two and four. in August, about a month before the trip, my Dad went into cardiac arrest, and while he survived the episode, he was unable to travel with us in September. fast forward to January of this year, my dad passed away from congestive heart failure. Looking back, I sure wish I had those memories with him and my two little girls enjoying the Magic Kingdom and Epcot together. But alas, it will now never be. The point of this is, that you should take advantage of any opportunity you have right now.I do not think it is foolish or silly to take children to the happiest place on earth at any age, regardless of whether they will remember it. The honest to goodness truth is that you will always have and cherish those memories, and that is worth its weight in gold.

I also agree with other posters that the magic of certain experiences will wear off very quickly. It is sad to think of my now 5 year old daughter questioning whether Cinderella the real Cinderella when we go to 1900 Park fare or Cinderella royal table. But, those questions come out more quickly than we want them to.

I have taken my daughters to Walt Disney World every year since they were born. I am aware that there are many days they will not remember, but I love Walt Disney World much more as a mommy than I ever did as a kid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter