Buses at SSR

armsk

Earning My Ears
My daughter has autism and struggles with crowded buses. We don't stay till park close due to this reason, but last year we stayed at OKW (first time in DVC) and were surprised how quiet the busses were compared to other resorts (POR & CBR) we have stayed in at similar times in the season. And at the parks, the value resorts lines were always long.
Is this due to most being DVC and also using their own cars, or were we just lucky?

Planning another trip and wondering in regards to SSR and crowded buses (excluding park closing).

I’d say your experience was park luck and part Deluxe/DVC
It’s been quite a while, but I did think SSR had more standing room only busses leaving for the parks than most of my DVC experiences.

We have never had problems going to any of the parks in the early morning. We generally have a PPO breakfast or rope drop though. We get the Congress Park or Paddock bus ,We definitely have had standing room only in the evenings going back to the hotel. Standing has always seemed to be coming back from the parks for us.

I agree with what has been said previously but will also add that SSR is one of the/if not the largest resort. There's a lot of people boarding busses there.

When not going at prime times to the parks we’ve found the buses and to be very reasonable and empty at SSR as we have with most DVC resorts. Certainly similar to OKW. I haven’t stayed at the Values but do remember some crowde buses for park opening from POR. But that was park opening. I’ve always heard about how crowded the Values buses can be thus the reason they got the double length buses.

Stay in the Grandstand. It is the first stop in the morning going to the parks so you will pretty much be guaranteed a seat. It is also the first stop leaving the parks.

Stay in the Grandstand. It is the first stop in the morning going to the parks so you will pretty much be guaranteed a seat. It is also the first stop leaving the parks.
Thanks for the advice. Are you able to select the different sections when you make your booking?

I definitely agree on the Grandstand location. You'll always be getting onto an empty bus in the morning. It may fill up with the later stops, but you can get a good seat that isn't so crowded. On a plus side, Grandstand is also the first stop to drop off.

We found it busy in the morning going to the parks & evenings, there were often times the bus was already full when it got to us & we had to wait for the next one. Have you thought of staying at one of the resorts where you can walk to some of the resorts so you will need to use buses less.

Have you considered Uber/Lyft or a MinnieVan, especially during peak hours?

At SSR they will come to your building.

When we stay at DVC resorts, we don't head to the parks that much. So no need to ride buses. OKW is the oldest and first DVC resort, so many owners might be older, too, and not head to the parks early or late in the day. Maybe just to dine or see a few shows or attractions. We bought our OKW points in 1997 and were already old then.

My suggestion is Grandstand also! First on (always a seat), first off and a short walk to Carriage House or boat to DS. Plus, it is lower in points...in the “standard” rooms category.

We found that the buses, when not on them during peak times, were fine in terms of crowds. We too request (and have always gotten so far!!!) Grandstand. However, last summer, when we stayed with a larger group and were doing parks near opening, it just took way too long in the morning so we opted for Lyft. Never cost more than $10 and we got to the parks quickly. To go to MK, we had Lyft drop us off at the Contemporary and then we walked from there as only the Minnie Vans can get up close (which were a lot more expensive). We did, however, always take the bus back as we weren't as concerned about the time element.

We were there two weeks ago for a long weekend. Stayed in the Grandstand area. Only once was there standing room only on the bus and that might have been the night we came back from MK after fireworks. That's probably true for most buses after MK fireworks. Other times the bus was very uncrowded, and one time we had a private bus ride to AK. Being in the Grandstand does help with the empty bus situation in the am since it's the first stop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter