Busch Gardens - Worth a visit?

BertieT

Earning My Ears
Myself, DH and 2 DS aged 10 & 8 are due to visit again in August - can't wait - only 59 days to go!

I'm busy planning each day - so that we make the most of our trip and I know we all love USF & WDW. This time I thought we'd take a trip to Kennedy Space Centre (1st time), mainly for DH & me and also Gatorland (1st time)- definitely more for DH & DS's. I was also wondering about a visit to Busch Gardens, but am a bit worried after reading a few reports on these boards.

Myself and DS's all LOVE the coasters (DH does too, but is stomach doesn't). I've read that Busch Gardens isn't really as organised as WDW or USF (i.e. no fastpass or expressline) and that some families have spent the entire day waiting in line and come away with only having managed a couple of rides - it is a long way to go, so can anyone please help us decide if it is worth a visit - or should we just stick to USF & WDW, etc?

These boards have been so helpful, every time I visit I find out some useful tip, no matter how small, that really makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.

Bertie T

Dolphin 08/00
HRH/Coronado Springs 08/02
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I love BG. But I have to agree the lines during the summer are LONGGGGGGGGGGGGG! I try & go off season. When in August are you going? If you go ona week day after August 12th you might be okay. I also heard they are getting fast passes or have them. Anyone else hear this? I was last there in Feb. & there wasn't any sort of fast pass available.

The only ride that has a FP clone is Rhino Rally. They call it Quick Queue. There's also a single rider line. Quick Queue and the single rider lines are available when the waits are very long.

IMHO, I would like to see Gwazi get the Quick Queue treatment.

After living in Florida for 13 years we just "discovered" Busch Gardens this year and we love it so much we bought annual passes and won't be renewing our US/IOA passes until our Busch passes expire!
The first time we went was the Friday before Easter and the park was just about as crowded as it could be! The worst lines were at Rhino Rally and some of the more popular coasters so we avoided those (much to my DD's disappointment). There is SO much more to do especially if you like shows and animal attractions.
The train and the sky ride are wonderful ways to navigate the park and you do not get nearly as worn out as you do after a day of hoofing it at USO/IOA or WDW. There are great cool shaded landscapes and cave/animal displays to explore.
Another poster gave you good advice to visit on a weekday especially since school starts in Florida in early August this year. You should have the parks to yourselves.
BUT- If you do expect a weekend visit or even any other day if you really want the best experience, my best advice is to check into the guided tours.
After fighting the crowds our first day, we booked a tour for the next day. We got a 10 dollar discount for booking 24 hours in advance and therefore paid $59 per person. It was WELL worth it:
What we got was a tour group of about 12 (including the 3 of us). Our guide brought us to the front of every ride we wanted to go on, and I mean TRUE FOTL as in the first available seats! In just under 7 hours we were able to do 5 of the coasters (my DS and I sat those out but my DD was thrilled to ride with the others),the Rhino Rally,2 of the water rides, the monkey and gorilla trails, skyride, and some other things:
We got VIP seating at the Ice show and the Dolphin show.
We got priority service at the nicest restaurant in the park (the public wait was up to an hour). This meal alone was about a 12 dollar value.
We got our own truck for the Serengetti Safari, a 45 minute ride right into the animal's habitat to actually meet and feed the girraffes, zebras,and other animals and meet & chat with the animal handlers. This feature alone is a separate $35 charge if you want to do it without the tour.
The guide was supposed to stay with us for 5 hours and he was so nice he actually stayed with us almost 7 hours. Plus you get a 20% discount anything you buy in the gift shops while on the tour!
If you have just the one day to visit it I very strongly suggest you look into this, the park is great without it, but you will not regret spending the extra dollars it is worth every cent!
Enjoy!
:jester:

We were there in Jan and it is a good "all around" park for a family. It truely has something for everyone. However, the lines are impossible at times. I forgot what it was like to visit a park without FP\FOTL. It is a solid hr plus from WDW which made it difficult for us to get there at opening. My personal favorite non WDW/UO park is SEaWorld. It's close, fun for everyone and has a "few" thrill rides and no real queing problems, most of the time. It would be my choice over Busch Gardens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter