• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bus Rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one trip we used a wheelchair, it wasn't until I think it was our second last day at WDW (I think that one was a 12 night trip) that a bus driver mentioned that option. All the other drivers just automatically started tying it down. I wish I had have known but I didn't and nobody mentioned it to me. They can be folded and not tied down but I wouldn't say usually.

No worries! We see this often, the same with "stroller as a wheelchair" tag. People take their stroller to the back have the driver load it-and then fold the stroller (per DOT regs). I have even seen a driver leaving an unfolded stroller in front of the door-rolling around.

You're still missing the point. Sometimes they ARE the only available seats. And, it's not like anybody participating in this discussion would ever object to being asked by a driver. Everybody around here would be polite and simply explain that unfortunately I,she,he,whomever NEEDS that seat and unfortunately can't move if they're unable to so again, no need for the driver to not at least ask. Nobody is talking about fighting and it's insulting to suggest that if somebody has a different situation than you that we're just arguing.

In the OP's case, yes the driver should have asked them and yes I can't imagine that they couldn't have chosen different seats when first sitting down since there were only 6 people on the bus. We're discussing more than just OP's situation.

Maybe yes I am but you have seats that say you just give up and seats that aiding you to give up. My point really is if you have the option don't sit where their tie down points. I understand you don't always have that and should be prepared to be asked to move and once you explain why you can't it still legally up to the driver. I am not sure what disney policy is because once the driver ask they have to follow company policy.

I do think bus drivers should ask, but I will never judge someone who doesn't get up, even if I have to wait extra as a result. I've even made comments to folks who have harassed someone for not standing. If people can move, I do prefer them to do so, but my need for a wheelchair space does not trump another person's need to sit in those seats due to a disability. I'd rather just assume anyone who doesn't move can't move due to disability than harass someone who needs the seat.

I've watched people have to get off the bus and wait for the next one after they've been forced to move out of where the wheelchair spot was by a driver (not at WDW; in NYC) because for whatever reason they couldn't use any other seats. I specifically remember a guy on my commute who needed those seats because they were the only ones with enough room for his legs (he couldn't bend one leg) that weren't up stairs. It really bothered me, especially because it was someone who consistently took that specific bus with that driver and there's no way the driver didn't know that the guy couldn't use other seats. If I had realized he had to get off as a result, I'd have offered to get off instead. He was on the bus before I was and even though he wasn't moving to allow me on, I'd have done it just to make the point to the driver. Buses came along that route every 10-15 minutes and I never had an experience where I didn't then get on the next bus.

Wheelchairs are usually folded-not tied down. The person boards, folds the wheelchair and sits in the now vacate seat.

Not all wheelchairs fold and not all wheelchair users can transfer and fold the chair on the bus, even if it is made to fold. Rental wheelchairs generally fold (and usually people who rent can transfer), but someone traveling solo with a rented wheelchair might have trouble transferring and folding (because not only do you have to hold onto the folded wheelchair, but you also have to hold onto any bags, cushions, or other things that were on the wheelchair). I'd guess that the majority of people with custom manual wheelchairs either can't transfer or have a rigid wheelchair (I would never get a folding wheelchair and I'm not the only person I know with that opinion.).

I do think bus drivers should ask, but I will never judge someone who doesn't get up, even if I have to wait extra as a result. I've even made comments to folks who have harassed someone for not standing. If people can move, I do prefer them to do so, but my need for a wheelchair space does not trump another person's need to sit in those seats due to a disability. I'd rather just assume anyone who doesn't move can't move due to disability than harass someone who needs the seat.

I've watched people have to get off the bus and wait for the next one after they've been forced to move out of where the wheelchair spot was by a driver (not at WDW; in NYC) because for whatever reason they couldn't use any other seats. I specifically remember a guy on my commute who needed those seats because they were the only ones with enough room for his legs (he couldn't bend one leg) that weren't up stairs. It really bothered me, especially because it was someone who consistently took that specific bus with that driver and there's no way the driver didn't know that the guy couldn't use other seats. If I had realized he had to get off as a result, I'd have offered to get off instead. He was on the bus before I was and even though he wasn't moving to allow me on, I'd have done it just to make the point to the driver. Buses came along that route every 10-15 minutes and I never had an experience where I didn't then get on the next bus.

Not all wheelchairs fold and not all wheelchair users can transfer and fold the chair on the bus, even if it is made to fold. Rental wheelchairs generally fold (and usually people who rent can transfer), but someone traveling solo with a rented wheelchair might have trouble transferring and folding (because not only do you have to hold onto the folded wheelchair, but you also have to hold onto any bags, cushions, or other things that were on the wheelchair). I'd guess that the majority of people with custom manual wheelchairs either can't transfer or have a rigid wheelchair (I would never get a folding wheelchair and I'm not the only person I know with that opinion.).

I fail to see how this is relevant since the people I mentioned folded the chair and transferred.

it is relavant because you stated most chairs folded but did not take into consideration others like my dd who uses a ridgid wheelchair

it is relavant because you stated most chairs folded but did not take into consideration others like my dd who uses a ridgid wheelchair

I assume you are directing this at me. Yes, I stated "chairs are usually folded" because that is what I have experienced. I don't understand why this is an issue for people. If I had stated ALL chairs must be folded that I would not have taken into consideration "others like your dd".

As far as relevant- the pp posted "I'd guess that the majority of people with custom manual wheelchairs either can't transfer or have a rigid wheelchair". Since I saw the chairs fold and the people transfer it is not relevant. I said NOTHING about those who remained in their chair.

wow, I just read all these posts... If I remember correctly, the original post said there were 6 people on the bus. How many seats are on a bus??????? Yes, I have arthritis in my right hip, my right shoulder (and bursitis) , arm, wrist and hand. As well as a heel spur in my right foot, not to mention I cannot see in the dark very well. I would never be able to stand and hold on while the bus was moving. Now to to get up and move a couple of feet for a wheelchair, sure I think I can do that. If I couldn't, I shouldn't be spending the day in a Disney Park. :confused3 I fully understand invisible disablilites 110% as I have them. I don't think anyone on the bus would have had to stand or even leave the bus for that matter. If they were that bad off to not been able to move a seat, they should not have been walking around the parks. It was pure selfishness in my opinion

wow, I just read all these posts... If I remember correctly, the original post said there were 6 people on the bus. How many seats are on a bus??????? Yes, I have arthritis in my right hip, my right shoulder (and bursitis) , arm, wrist and hand. As well as a heel spur in my right foot, not to mention I cannot see in the dark very well. I would never be able to stand and hold on while the bus was moving. Now to to get up and move a couple of feet for a wheelchair, sure I think I can do that. If I couldn't, I shouldn't be spending the day in a Disney Park. :confused3 I fully understand invisible disablilites 110% as I have them. I don't think anyone on the bus would have had to stand or even leave the bus for that matter. If they were that bad off to not been able to move a seat, they should not have been walking around the parks. It was pure selfishness in my opinion

Absolutely I think people should move if there's another safe option for them, but my comment was in response to people who say that people already seated should have to move, every time, even if there is no other safe option, because wheelchair users need those spaces more.

I think this thread has run its course and is now just getting down to nit-picking people's wording.

There are generally two, sometimes more tie-down points on a bus for a wheelchair. There are usually stickers on the windows above these seats, saying they must be given up to people with disabilities. Technically, a person cannot be forced from these seats, as there are many different disabilities, some hidden, and no one can be forced to show proof of disability.

What this means:
If you absolutely must sit on a bus (due to disability/chronic illness, including temporary or hidden ones - not because you are simply tired), and CAN sit in a seat other than where a wheelchair gets tied down, then do so.

If you absolutely must sit on a bus (again, due to disability/chronic illness), and for whatever reason, the seats with the tie down points are the only option, then sit there. If you are asked to move, politely say no. If it makes you feel more comfortable, you can say "I cannot move due to my own medical condition" or you can just politely decline.

If you encounter a situation when a bus driver does not ask, or you see the spots empty, but you are still not loaded, write down the number of the bus, along with the location and time (or take a pic of the back of the bus, where a number is). If you can see the name of the driver, get that too. Then you can call the transportation line to file a complaint. I believe calling the front desk and saying you have a complaint about the buses will have you directed to the correct place. You can also send and email or call when you get home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter