"Bus on Demand" UPDATE

WebmasterDoc

DIS Veteran
The "Bus on Demand" program is up and running today. Yesterday's "technical problems" were computer related- it seems the system was not fully functional, but is working better today. The drivers I have spoken with are very divided about this program. Some are very excited and optimistic about it's success and others thought the previous system worked just fine.

We went to AK this morning and when we wanted to return to OKW went to the bus stop. We waited about 2 minutes when a DI bus pulled up. The dispatcher, seeing that no one was waiting for a DI bus had us board the DI bus and directed him to take us to OKW, before completing his return to DI. This was a great solution for us, but may not be the best for those waiting at DI- since their return bus was now delayed by about 5-10 minutes.
I think the program shows great promise, but has a ways to go before I can give it a thumbs up. It was great for us this morning, but time will tell. Thus far we've not had any waits for buses. Stay Tuned! :)

Doc
doc@wdwinfo.com

Wow, that is so interesting! Thanks for the update Doc. :)

castle_moonlight.jpg

<font face="Class Garmnd BT"><font color="ff69b4"><big>Jennybºoº benny</big></font>
<font color="9400d3">~~DVC Member~~
Onsite: Poly '76, Contemp '98, BWV '99, CBR '00, BWV '00, CBR '01
Offsite: '74 '80 '82 '88
Next trip: BWV~June '01, ASM/BWV~Nov '01</font>
<a href="http://people.ne.mediaone.net/jsmith12/jillian&kylecharacterpage.html">Jillian & Kyle's Disney Character Website</a></font>

Thanks for the update, Doc! I am hoping for the best with this new bus system. As with anything new, sometimes it takes awhile for the "kinks" to get worked out! Enjoy the rest of your stay...:)

<font size=4><font color=purple><font face=BrushArt>Carol</font></font></font>
minnie04a.gif

<font color=FF0066><font face=tahoma>Co-Mod - Theme Park Attractions and Strategies Board</font></font>
<font color=purple><font face=tahoma>Co Mod - Cruise Board</font></font>
<font color=FF0066><font face=tahoma>Co-Mod - DVC Board</font><

Thanks for the update. Sounds like they may be on to something. (Reminds me of the night when 3 DI buses came to DD and left empty while a mob waited to return to OKW. A dispatcher with some power could have made a big difference.)

Doc, WE are going down to WDW at Easter time and we are concerned and courious how the bus on demand will work with all these guests at the park during this time. We will let you know it works out when we get back. Thanks for the info JP :rolleyes:

I spoke too soon earlier- the "On Demand" program crashed again today (apparently just after we had a good experience from AK to OKW). The computer program was again the culprit. I spoke with a driver trainer tonight who is very optimistic about the future of this program. It has been tested succesfully, but still has some shortcomigs when used in the full system.

I still think the program has great promise and will eventually be a good means to upgrade the system. Stay Tuned!

Doc
doc@wdwinfo.com

We are surrently at the BWV and have had 5 trips on the new bus dispact system. It worked great each time. The Dispachers are using a palm device. We have not waited any longer than 10-12 minutes. They redirected a Downtown Disney Bus to MK in the morning.

When I first heard about this, I was VERY skeptical, but it sounds like it has promise. Thanks for the post Doc.

Disneydiane
mickey36.gif
keywest.gif

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter