• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bum knee

grumpa

Earning My Ears
Chesire Figment & Sue M

Thank you for your response. I think you have helped me make up my mind on this
problem. Considering that my wife is able to get around at home unaided, I'm sure that
a regular room would be sufficient. We are booked into a studio for the first two days of
our stay. It is what they call a lock-out and then when our son & family arrives they
just unlock the door and we have a two bedroom for the rest of our stay. A first floor
unit in bldgs 11-12-13-14-62 or 63 would be a real bonus for us. This would solve all of our problems by having the centralized activities nearby plus the bus stop. I'll call special reservations and see if they can do anything for us. I'll let you know how thing work out.

We are looking forward to using our dvc membership for the first time and thanks to folks
like you I'm sure we won't be disappointed.

I just wanted to clarify a few things.
If you are DVC members and are using points, then you would call Member Services for your requests, even for special needs. The Special Needs phone number is for if you are paying Disney for your stay. DVC reservations are in a separate system than the cash/credit card reservations, so MS takes care of the special needs for DVC guests.

When you have a lock off, it is possible that you might have to move at the time that you need the 2 bedroom. They try to keep you in the same room and just open the door to make it into a 2 bedroom, but sometimes it doesn't work out that way. It's less likley that you will have to move if the reservation for the studio and the reservation for the 2 bedroom are linked together. They will know what you mean if you ask for them to be linked.

Instead of asking for specific buildings, you might want to just ask for First Floor and close to Hospitality House for Medical Reasons. Besides the buildings you listed, 16, 23, 24, 25 are also close to Hospitality House and are very close to the Peninsular bus stop. On the map, the kind of grey blob just above building 23 is a lake and the grey kind of wavy line next to Peninsular Road is a canal. Community Hall (where kids activities are), the restaurant and the pool at HH all face the water with a sidewalk going along Peninsular and back to that area, so the distance form those villas to the part of HH you want to go to is about the same as from the areas you listed.

Also, in case you didn't know how to respond on your original thread (question), here's what to do:
At the top and the bottom of the thread, you will see 2 boxes on the right side. One says New Thread and the other one says Post Reply. If you want to add some information or ask more questions about the same subject, choose Post Reply and the information will be added onto the same thread (discussion). That way, people can see all the information that has been posted in one spot and they are able to give better/more complete answers. If you have a question about a totally different subject, then choose New Thread.

We are using our points for this vacation so I'll call member services and request
first floor and close to the hospitality for medical reasons. I didn't realize that
the buildings you mentioned were as close to the hospitality house as those I picked
out. We have been coming to WDW since 1973 but never stayed at DKW. We have
used the Contemporary,Polynesian,Colorado Springs,Fort Wilderness and All Star
Movies or have stayed off site. I feel a lot more comfortable with our situation after
using the Discussion Forum. I'll get the hang of how to use it after a while.
Thanks again, Grumpa

It helps that we've been there so many times and stayed all over at OKW.
I hope you like our home as well as we do.

I contacted member services as you suggested and they took care of everything
for us. They told me that they have wheelchairs available at the front desk for
members with special needs. They also informed me that the accessible rooms
are closer to the pools and other facilities. Wheelchairs that are obtained at
the front desk can be taken around the resort, from park to park and to
downtown disney. All of our concerns have been addressed and we are looking
forward to a wonderful vacation. Thanks again.

Glad to hear things are coming together for you.
You might still want to take the phone numbers along for the off-site medical equipment rental places. Although many people have had good luck with the wheelchairs lent to them by the WDW resorts, some people have found that what was available didn't work out for them (like all that was available was extra wide when they needed a narrow wheelchair, or vice versa), or the available wheelchair was not in very good shape. People who had problems reported anything from a few hours to a few days to get something more suitable for them. So, it's good to have the phone numbers in case you need another option.

I have the numbers that chesire figment gave to me, along with two
supplied by member services. I'll take them along just in case things
don't work out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter