Building a new campground : A journey to follow

DL1WDW2

DIS Veteran
As we learn about the Fort Wilderness Cabins announcement to become DVC property….
Have you ever dreamed about actually building a Campground ?
Are you brave enough to follow this journey ? Because it is a dream from one person’ childhood that I have been following on a different discussion board .

And I think it has been really interesting

Introduction to an author: Camping Disney The Fort Wilderness Guide Paperback in 2/6/2016 …
(currently out of print )
And follow along as she has an 18 page discussion on (MagicOwners)… beginning Post 1 : 1/24/23
Follow MinnieMom …yes I know, 18 pages is a lot but Hey …imagine actually building your dream and ask yourself if you have what it takes?

Standing Pines Campground and RV Resort in Hartley, S.C. (2 hour drive to Myrtle Beach or Charleston, S.C.
The official opening date is still planned for 2024 …
Would love to be there for Day One Grand Open
Currently just posting a live stream and will have another one with link provided for me on page 17 to remember !
The live stream on Tuesday 2/20 2:00 p.m. est sounds exciting

Who doesn’t want to watch the Construction Cranes at work !
I promise it will be more fun and easier than trying to peek through a hole or crack in the construction walls at Epcot .

Last edited:
A couple of comments.

First, Fort Wilderness Campgrounds IS NOT to become a DVC property, The Cabins at the Fort are, but if you are an RV'er, this has almost no impact except we might get a new sit down restaurant eventually. Starting off your post like that is likely why it got the response it did.

Second, this post probably belongs on the Camping Community Board. Denise (the moderator here) will likely move it.

Last, I have friends that own a campground and another that live full time and work at one. It isn't easy and it is expensive. Location makes a huge difference on what your expenses will be and will also dictate how much the market will support on lot rent. "High end" resorts are expected to have high end ammenities. Without a really nice area to draw people, it becomes a bad math equation. If you are in a popular area, expenses will be high and so will competition.

Camping also swings with the economy. A lot of campgrounds went under after 2008 and the financial crisis and again through Covid.

I wish you (or whoever is trying to build this) luck and I'm always interested in trying out a nice campground in a nice area. You made reference to 18 pages and a "live" feed, but no links. I'm interested in reading up.

I'm pretty familiar with SC and the area between Myrtle Beach and Charleston. Two hours from each isn't a high tourist destination. Also Google doesn't think there is a "Hartley, SC"

j

Last edited:
I'm all for a new campground as long as it's level, has at least some shade, and is well maintained. I'd always entertained the idea of retiring from medicine one day and managing an RV resort somewhere. So, to whom ever is undertaking this task, I wish them best of luck and maybe one day I'll see it.

FW is not DVC, only the cabins, and to be honest, they have never, in my opinion, actually been much of the Fort that I grew to love. Few years back they actually converted one of the cabin loops back to campsites as demand was more. Maybe that will continue.

I thought about owning/running/building a campground or rv facility but it is a 24x7 operation.

Guest problems, equipment issues, etc. it feels (if you would live on the property) that it is a lot like living over the general store. Someone will always be knocking at your door at all hours of the day or night.

I saw that KOA has listing for franchisees selling properties as well as starting from scratch with your own business. If I was 30-40 years old, I would have considered it but I'm not that young any more.

Owning and running is a younger person's business (to me). I am at the stage where I'm NOT a younger person anymore and would rather be a guest.

Bama Ed

I give you props for jumping into your dream. This is not something that is neither easy or cheap and a big risk. When I was a kid I wanted to start a campground. We went camping a lot in my parents 5th wheel. I had maps all drawn up, knew how many lots there were. I figured out how many nights of the year it could operate and if it was half full how much money I could make. It sounded like a lot, but it ignored all the costs of operation. Certainly not something I plan to do any time ever. I don't camp anymore. Wish you luck.

Sorry, not a fan of tubers and advertising themselves, been at the parks for 2 weeks now, so many tubers that appear to be stung be bees "fat lips" filming themselves blocking up walkways
We go to WDW quite often and rarely see any "tubers" or anyone filming much at all.

We go to WDW quite often and rarely see any "tubers" or anyone filming much at all.

For the first time on our January 2024 trip I saw several in the Magic Kingdom on our day there. Carrying the little mini tri-pod camera stand in their hand and talking to themselves.

Didn't have anyone stop in a walkway in front of me but then again, it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

More is always better when it comes to nice places to camp. It has crossed our minds several times to build/buy a small campground. We never had the nerve to do it. Good on you for the follow through.

I have been following MinnieiMom .......I find it interesting/curious and have enjoyed reading the progress she/they have made. We are not campers and I am looking forward to the final product.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter