Build your own droid or lightsaber...for kids only?

CherylCT

Earning My Ears
Is it cool or kind of corny? Is it mostly kids doing them? If not, which one would you suggest for a 30-something?

We went during COVID to do a droid so I’m not sure how close it was to the typical experience. It wasn’t corny and there wasn’t really anything dramatic involved. We just got our basket and picked the stuff and built it. I really like the droids, they talk to each other and react to different things in the park. We have not done Savis

Is it cool or kind of corny? Is it mostly kids doing them? If not, which one would you suggest for a 30-something?

I just built a droid(BB unit) this past Saturday. Nowhere near corny, and easy enough for a young child. I would say Savi’s would be better for older children and adults because there are more parts, though not necessarily because it is complex to assemble. For an adult, they both work, just whichever is more important to you. I saw a mix at Droid Depot, but Savi’s was pretty much crowded by 9AM.

My Savi's experience was mostly adults. (Noticed the same in a few of the videos I watched.) YMMV whether it is worth $200. I will say the experience justifies the price, especially if you get a really good, um, lead gatherer. (Trying to not be spoilery...)

If you don't want to schlep the saber around, you can ship it home from any of the shops. Costs $18.95.

My husband was 47 when he made his lightsaber. So...yeah...
He wanted to make another one the next year, but decided against it due to cost.
It is cool, not corny. Especially if you are Star Wars fans.

I had an early reservation and was the only adult actually building a droid. My DH was kind enough to take pictures of my T1T4N build. I had fun and didn’t really care that kids were the main builders. I’m sure I had more fun than the kids’ parents!

T1T4N was delivered to HS Main entrance and we picked it up on the way out. Flying home with it was more difficult, but I stuffed it in a soft sided cooler bag we had brought to keep drinks cold at the resorts. DH didn’t get a carry on, ha ha.

My husband cried making his lightsaber, so I’d say it’s for any age Star Wars fan.

We haven’t made a droid yet, but it’s more little kid friendly, but still for anyone who wants one.

My fiance and I made a droid last year in DL. We're both in our late 20's. We were both so excited and really really enjoyed the experience, and process of making the droid. We spent a lot of time picking out the specific one we wanted, and then we started calling it our "son" and bought extra personality chips. It was great reverse carrying it around in the backpack you can buy for it to go in, and the droid will interact with other things in galaxy's edge. I wish we could play with them in the land, but I understand why they said no. Overall we made great memories and was one of the most fun parts of the trip.

But, we've been locked in the house for over a year and we probably played with the thing twice since we got home. So something to think about. I wouldn't do it again, but I don't regret doing it because of the memories we made.

I’m a grown up who saw Original Star Wars (New Hope) in the theaters and I built my own droid in 2019 and loved it. Plenty of grown ups and kids at the droid depot. No judgement. There was a cool area outside you could “test“ your droid and it was fun to watch them interact. I am going to do the lightsaber on my next trip...but will happily build another droid...I started with an R2...but I really want a BB next time...

I was 60 when I built my own lightsaber. Yes it's pricey but I loved it! There was a mix of family groups and just adults at the workshop. It was worth it to me for the experience itself.

This was pre-COVID, so if this sounds good to you, you might want to wait until the experience returns to normal.

Thank you for all the replies! It would be for my 30-something son that I was thinking of surprising him with. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't too hokey for him. LOL

FYI the area to test your droid isn’t there right now. It was gone when the park reopened, for obvious reasons.

Thank you for all the replies! It would be for my 30-something son that I was thinking of surprising him with. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't too hokey for him. LOL

My 51-year-old husband is planning to build lightsabers for him, sons, and sons-in-law (ages 25, 24, and 16) when we have a family reunion in the next year.

PHXscuba

I've seen several mentions of them shipping them home. They will send them back to your WDW resort won't they?

Yeah, if you include big kids who are 53 years young and was hooked by Star Wars ever since I was a 10 year old and witnessed the movie for the first time in glorious 70mm theater in Manhattan. :) I did both the light saber experience and droid build pre-covid as well as watched by 12 year old son do both last year which was slightly different with covid protocols but thoroughly enjoyed all those experiences and would do them again. However, you are talking about a huge Star Wars fan that teared up when I turned the corner in Galaxy's Edge and saw the life size Millennium Falcon for the 1st time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter