• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bugs in August???

michellelovesthemous

DIS Veteran
We have never been in the summer, (Aug 19-30) and i was just wondering how bad it is with bugs and all??? They really seem to like my DM who will be a prime meal ticket as she is in a wheelchair and i/she was wondering what it will be like then? TYIA:thumbsup2

I was there last August at the same time as you are going and I don't recall bugs at all really. You all should be fine.

The only bugs I have ever encoutered at Disney are the love bugs. They hatch in May and September so August should be good.

There must be some Magic shield over The World, becuse I have wondered how so few bugs get into the parks, and I have been several times in middle and late August. Nothing at all to worry about.

Always be prepared for mosquitos and small (locally called "no see ums) stinging gnats. Always.

They can appear out of no where and make you miserable. Off makes an easy to carry prepackaged wipe that works quite well.

We use it on clothing more than skin, and it helps a great deal. I was unaware of the gnats one year and ended up miserable with itching the next day (they come out more in the evening).

So, be prepared and you'll be fine.

We go about the same time every year (late Aug-Labor Day) and DS has been stung twice by bees, DH bitten by horsefly at Blizzard Beach in the past 2 years. Always when we were near flowered bushes though, so you may just want to keep that in mind, especially at the bus stops because that's where DS was stung both times. For no apparent reason either-just stung him out of nowhere. I think he must have been standing too close to the bushes. We've never come across mosquitos or anything else like that either.

Always be prepared for mosquitos and small (locally called "no see ums) stinging gnats. Always.

They can appear out of no where and make you miserable. Off makes an easy to carry prepackaged wipe that works quite well.

We use it on clothing more than skin, and it helps a great deal. I was unaware of the gnats one year and ended up miserable with itching the next day (they come out more in the evening).

So, be prepared and you'll be fine.

Good advice. :thumbsup2 I like the idea of the Off wipes just in case. Something we can throw into my wifes purse/bag.

We go in late Sept, and did notice a lot of the love bugs. Not a real bother, but there sure are quite a few of them! My kids also LOVED the little lizards. I know they are very common down there, but up here in Michigan we don't get to see them.

Dan

We went in August 2009 and I was VERY pregnant so I spent a ton of time sitting outside on benches while my husband took the kids on rides. I never noticed any bugs at all!

The mosquitos love my white, Irish skin. We tend to go in August and I don't ever remember having a mosquito bite.

Like other posters mentioned in September we've had love bugs everywhere, but they're just a nuisance more than anything. Don't have an open soda.

Just to be prepared, have raincoats or better yet a poncho for your daughter. It will probably rain everyday around 3.

If it's lightning we walk through the gift shops or get a snack. If it's just rain, we walk through the rain (be the cool parent) and go on the empty rides.

There must be some Magic shield over The World, becuse I have wondered how so few bugs get into the parks, and I have been several times in middle and late August. Nothing at all to worry about.

I was thinking the same exact thing! I don't ever remember getting bit at Disney last August. However, outside a restroom at Epcot, we spotted a HUGE stationary bug - don't know what kind it was thought. There were a few people around it gawking at the size and it never moved or bothered anyone. It was at least 3 1/2 inches length wise, maybe a bit bigger, I wish I knew how to upload photos on here!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter