Bug spray needed for DL/DCA trip in June?

NDDisneydad

Mouseketeer
We are WDW vets making our first trip to DL in over 10 years. How are the bugs (mosquitos) in DL? Do we need to pack bug spray? In WDW, bugs have never been an issue. We are just wondering how DL compares. Thanks!

You shouldn't need bug spray. We've never encountered any mosquitos on any of our trips. In fact, I've rarely seen bugs of any kind while at DL. A couple of years ago we did see some huge bugs that the locals (after laughing at us for panicking) informed us were Lovebugs and are apparently harmless.

I have seen more GNATS at the parks then mosquitos. I have never used bug spray while at the parks.

You will need a high SPF sunscreen and apply & reapply through-out the day.

You shouldn't need bug spray. We've never encountered any mosquitos on any of our trips. In fact, I've rarely seen bugs of any kind while at DL. A couple of years ago we did see some huge bugs that the locals (after laughing at us for panicking) informed us were Lovebugs and are apparently harmless.

Do you mean those gigantic black bugs that look like Egyptian scarabs? Those things freak me out. Intellectually I am aware that they are harmless but when one is coming at me I act like an idiot,:duck:.

Do you mean those gigantic black bugs that look like Egyptian scarabs? Those things freak me out. Intellectually I am aware that they are harmless but when one is coming at me I act like an idiot,:duck:.
Yes those!! I'd never seen one and didn't know they were harmless. There may have been some jumping and squealing...:oops:

I've only gotten mosquito bites once (not at DLR, but in the neighbourhood). For me it was miserable because I'm allergic and the bites swelled up badly. But since it's such a rare occurrence, I wouldn't bother with repellant unless a bite would be a trip ruiner. After that incident, I still don't use repellant, but I do pack calamine just in case.

We were there in April and November of last year, and in May of the prior year, and no one in our group got a single bite on any of those trips. Not sure if it's the area, or if Disney just does an awesome job of keeping the bugs at bay, but we didn't see a single mosquito!

Been to Dland many times in June with my husband and daughter who are two of the most delicious mosquito treats on planet earth judging by the numerous bites they've received on summer vacations to Hawaii, Yellowstone, Yosemite, etc. YET, they have never been bitten at Dland. I don't know how the CMS do it, but they keep the parks and the hotel pool areas wonderfully free of mosquiters.

We are WDW vets making our first trip to DL in over 10 years. How are the bugs (mosquitos) in DL? Do we need to pack bug spray? In WDW, bugs have never been an issue. We are just wondering how DL compares. Thanks!
There are some horrific bugs in DCA. They actually call the place "Bugs Land". And they have several rides dedicated to bugs. Avoid that part of DLR and you will be fine. ;)

:wizard:

The lack of mosquitos and other bitey bugs is one of my favorite things about DL and coastal SoCal in general. Put me down as another "delicious mosquito treat" who's never been bitten there.

PHXscuba

been with my kids in spring, summer, fall and never had the need for bug sprays,, and that's saying something since mosquitos LOVE me!

Mosquito magnet here! Never used bug spray in many summer trips to DL & have never been bit. ...Now on my 2 day WDW trip I layered on the bug spray and still managed to get bit- twice!

Mosquitos? not much here. Flies and small bugs are plentiful this year... i think with all the rain, they are everywhere... so be prepared to be swatting a lot of flies.

Mosquitos? not much here. Flies and small bugs are plentiful this year... i think with all the rain, they are everywhere... so be prepared to be swatting a lot of flies.
Albort! How the heck are you old friend?

:wizard:

My daughter is seriously allergic to mosquito bites and I haven't even THOUGHT of taking bug spray, that's how low they are there. I've never gotten one. I'll report back because she really is super attractive to mosquitos. After one night we'll know if it's a problem this year.

Been to DLR countless times. Bugs never even crossed my mind now that you mention it!

I don't remember if this was in regard to DLR, WDW, or both, but I read once that Disney stocks the lakes and ponds with fish that eat mosquito eggs. That could explain why I encountered mosquitoes in the outside neighborhood, but never in the parks. It seems to me they're really uncommon in SoCal overall though. Then again, they're really uncommon where I live (Las Vegas) and yet I was bit last week. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter