Buena Vista Scooter Rentals at The Boardwalk -combined thread

If you weren't comfortable, then I am glad you changed, otherwise if there was a problem, you would be sorry. Maybe they would have been good, but who knows.

We have always used Walker Medical and never had a problem. This year we bought a scooter so this is the first time we haven't had to rent one.

Have a great trip. Ours starts in 3 weeks.

Peg

I hope you both have great trips!

Thanks so much for the good wishes. We are really anxious to go. Can't wait.

Thanks again,

Peggy

Thanks so much for the good wishes. We are really anxious to go. Can't wait.

Thanks again,

Peggy

I know--I just got back a couple of weeks ago and I want to go back NOW!

It's my first time posting I apologize for any mistakes.
I have lupus ( for 2oyrs). In Dec 08 I used ecv for first time. Used Buena Vista scooters and it was a miserable experience. First scooter was falling apart and would suddenly stop. I kept bangin my legs on it, with sudden stops and the pieces falling off sides. Husband was frustrated w/ my sudden stops and tried to teach me to use it better but lo and behold the same thing happened to me. We called the company from the park and they couldn't enter so I just said bring a new one to WL and I would change there. We returned this heap and got a new one that looked like it was in better condition. On second day using it, it died. I was alone with my 4yo son and was hoping to get out of Animation area next to Playhouse Disney. There was a steep ramp and I put son on my lap and chugged out with him crying because he couldn't see rest of characters ( his favorite part of trip). I managed to get to the exit directly outside gift shop and called DH who was with DS8. We called Buena Vista again and was given runaround. DH called and got minimal satisfaction. Again, they could not enter park, though this is supposed to be one of the benefits of using them. My husband pushed it to exit and was waiting for them. One of the CM from wc/ecv rental at DHS approached him. He explained what happened and she said you'll wait here at least 2h. She let him leave it with her and he rented one for me from the park. It was a miserable experience and really ruined the day. I was frustrated and exhausted. My son missed the Playhouse Disney show and my husband missed his FP time for Toy STory Mania. For the next 2days we rented ecv at park if we could get them, sometimes had to get wc, and someone had to push me. Whole point was to be as independent as I could. I planned a long time and invested a lot of money for a trip for family after a very difficult period in my health. I will never use Buena Vista scooter and I highly recommend that people avoid them at all costs. I did not know anything negative about them when I booked and figured they would be best as they are "onsite". Sad thing is I am a 39yo who really needed an ecv for first time and it was a terrible experience and as well someone who needs an ecv can't depend on getting one in the parks. Sorry so long, but I just want to help and share my experience. Thanks

I wasn't going to make a report about my experience with BV but having read all the past posts about them, I decided that I would let you know my experience with them this past August.

The first four days of the trip were terrific! The scooter was waiting for me at Bell Services at ASMu and it worked fine. I was really happy that I could keep up with my family in the parks. On the 5th day, we were in MK at the Liberty Tree Tavern and there was a severe storm. The rain came down so hard that it hurt! Anyway, we were inside and had no way of knowing as when we went in it was sunny and quite warm. When we came out, of course it was wet. I turned it on and for about 100 feet it worked fine. Then the SQUEEEAL started and then in the Christmas Shoppe, it died! I called BV and I got the rudest man I have ever talked to! "What do you expect me to do!" was his answer. He told me that all the techs and drivers were gone at 7PM and that I would have to PUSH the scooter to the front of the park where they would pick it up! I could not believe it! He told me that the scooter was not supposed to get wet and didn't I read the information when I picked it up. What information? There was nothing with the scooter. He also said that I should have covered the thing with the bag that was in the basket. What bag? There was none! I had a charger in the basket and nothing else. Had I not been in the store, I would have left it where it was! But my two 13 yr. old granddaughters got it out of the store. Two wonder CMs came to our rescue and pushed the scooter and me to the front of the park. God Bless them!!!!

The next day, there was another scooter at the Bell Services for me. This one was so beat up and scratched and the reflector on the back was missing. But it moved and so I took it. We went to Epcot that day and was having a great time with my family when I heard a huge POP! I had a flat tire! Right across from the Rose and Crown Pub. SO, I called again, almost in fear of talking to that same man. I, however, got a wonderful man who laughed and said that they had never had a flat tire on one of the scooters before! We both laughed about women drivers and he said that he would have someone there within an hour with a new scooter. It was only 20 minutes later and a young man came riding up on a scooter and asked if I was the lady with the flat tire? I said yes, and he said "Triple AAA at your service"! He was funny. I got on that scooter and from then on no problems. But I did notice in the basket were papers to read and a plastic bag.

I am going back to WDW with my VBGF in September and I am debating on using BV for us this time. Sorry this is so long but that is my story about BV and if it helps anyone who takes the time to read it, I am happy.

i used BVSR when I visited this past december. My scooter was there waiting for me at the bell desk and everything seemed fine. I rode it around the first day and it had this annoying squeak to it that kind of worried me, as if it were to break down or something? and it could not hold a full charge (i was in epcot and from 9 to noon i used it, and charged it up at the coral reef, and from 1:30 til about 7 i used it, and it broke down on me as i was crossing a bridge in the world showcase) I knew their business was open late at night and I was calling and calling but no one would pick up. Finally after 6 tries, I left a voicemail for them to call me back asap. I did manage to get my scooter back to my room after charging it a smidge in W.S, and when I woke up the next morning, I noticed no one had called me back. I called them again and explained the situation and they said they could get one to the hotel by the time i finished my breakfast at 1900 park fare, which I was pleased with. After I finished my dining, the new one was waiting for me at the bell desk so I swapped it out. Everything seemed to be ok with this one, but once night time got around, I tried to turn on my headlight but it wouldn't go on. I tried to press my horn - that didn't work either, and I figured the safest bet, if my headlight wouldnt work, was to turn on my hazard lights/turn signals and only one of them was on (but i guess that's better than nothing.) I called them immediately when i noticed (around 5-6pm) and again was not getting an answer. Another annoyed message left. Another call not returned. I called them again the NEXT morning, and they told me there were no other models like mine that were available for the whole entire week, and seeing as I would be gone by then, I had to either go back to the squeaky-non-charge-holding model, or keep the one with no lights. I told them i'd just keep the one i've got, and at the end of the trip I left it at the bell desk. They never offered me a discount for all of my issues or even apologized to me which I think bothered me the most. These people pride themselves on being available within disney property and I just don't feel they've lived up to that.

I complained about them to the BBB, and in their response to the complaint, they gave incorrect information to the BBB! I easily refuted the information with my own records. this is one reason their score is so bad.

They seem to send out faulty equipment regularly... I got two pieces of bad equipment too! They claim they know how to work it, and then say they only charge a new chair for one night... When the owners manual clearly states you can only use about 20% of the battery for the first 2 weeks. I use more than 20% in the parks!

They also insulted me in the letter (apparently not knowing I get a copy), saying that "going to the grocery store" and "only using it in the house" hardly makes me knowledgable about using a chair at a place like disney... umm... not the first time i have wheeled at disney! and I use a powerchair at a very large college campus!

I found that they did not want to contact me either... It took about 5 phone calls to get a call back!

Also, they spent quite a while complaining about these posts on the disboards! Free speech is a funny thing...

Suggestions to others - use walkers or randys!

Hello everyone. With all the confusion about "on-site" companies and what they claim I thought it was time to write a post addressing your concerns. First, all scooters are delivered by truck or van it doesn't matter where the company claims location; scooters should arrive at there destination by both parties agreed upon delivery time. Walker Mobility keeps a minimum two delivery trucks exclusively on Walt Disney World properties (sometimes more trucks) from 7:45 am to 7:00 pm 365 days a year and depending on the season (peak) sometimes longer. Regardless of where your located on Walt Disney World grounds we will have a replacement scooter delivered to you within the hour if not sooner. That is our promise/protocol to all of our guests. We have been in business since 1981 and maintain an A+ Better Business Bureau Rating. Our office hours are from 7:30 am to 8:00 pm everyday of the year. And I personally answer phones till 11:00 pm every night. It is exhausting but this is what makes us the only full service mobility company. Rest assured that we do all we can to make your stay here in Orlando a pleasurable one filled with warm memories.

I can personally vouch for Walker Mobility's excellent service (having needed, and gotten) TWO replacemants in one trip :teeth:.

The above endorsement is 100% entirely UNsolicited and completely voluntary

I have rented from Buena Vista Company for the last few years. For our trip last week I just went on the website a few days before our trip and booked with them again.

After I booked I came over to the DisABILITIES Forum and found this thread and read the reviews, I then became very worried.

No reason to worry, we arrived @ 10:00am at the Wilderness Lodge and the scooter was there. The scooter looked new and it was in great condition, we had no problems with the scooter at anytime.

Great service and product, no complaints. Will be visiting in October and I'll be using BV again.

Beckie

Well, this is generally a pretty old thread, lol, and it's now Aug 2013! Having just read through this thread, wondering how or if BV Scooters has improved? There were so many negative reviews here. I did follow the above link to BBB and their rating is now an A+, though they are still not accredited. So, does anyone have any more current reviews to offer on BV? I can see by the ads on the dis that they are still in business but it's hard to see how with such poor vehicle service and terrible customer service.

Also wondering, the business with the rain being so bad for using ecv's when it rains... it rains often in FL, so do all ecv's have the same problems as the BV scooters do? I've used the ecv's in the parks, and have had rain on some days and never had a problem or was told anything about using them in the rain, or having to stay indoors if it rains, by the disney ecv cm's.

I also noticed that Walker Mobility was recommended often in the BV thread. Do they still come as highly recommended to use instead of BV?

Just trying to find some much more current thoughts on using BV scooters, so TIA for any responses! :goodvibes

Well, this is generally a pretty old thread, lol, and it's now Aug 2013! Having just read through this thread, wondering how or if BV Scooters has improved? There were so many negative reviews here. I did follow the above link to BBB and their rating is now an A+,though they are still not accredited. So, does anyone have any more current reviews to offer on BV? I can see by the ads on the dis that they are still in business but it's hard to see how with such poor vehicle service and terrible customer service.
There have been many positive reviews of Buena Vista over the years - the posters just did not seek out this thread to post them too. For a while after this thread began, I did have a link to it in the disABILITIES FAQs thread - I removed the link after a lot of positive reviews were posted.

They are now one of the Disney featured ECV providers, which means Disney did a review of them and were satisfied with the service they were providing. As part if the bidding process, Disney also had some requirements for service and equipment that had to be net.
As you noted, they also improved to an A+ score in BBB.
Being accredited or not doesn't necessarily mean anything. It is voluntary and businesses have to pay to be accredited, so some feel the fee and having the BBB label is the worth the cost to them (and, these were not ECV rental places, but I have had some less than positive experiences with companies that were BBB accredited and prominently displayed the logo on their site).

Any of the companies listed in post 2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread are going to provide good service for most people.
I have noted which have a lot of feedback compared to the ones that don't.
You can find the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of this board or follow the link in my signature.

Also wondering, the business with the rain being so bad for using ecv's when it rains... it rains often in FL, so do all ecv's have the same problems as the BV scooters do? I've used the ecv's in the parks, and have had rain on some days and never had a problem or was told anything about using them in the rain, or having to stay indoors if it rains, by the disney ecv cm's.

I also noticed that Walker Mobility was recommended often in the BV thread. Do they still come as highly recommended to use instead of BV?

Just trying to find some much more current thoughts on using BV scooters, so TIA for any responses! :goodvibes
If you check out some of the links to companies in the disABILITIES FAQs thread, you will find that most of them use very similar (or even the same) ECVs.
None of them are designed to be used in pouring rain. Some of the companies are more clear about telling people that than others. People need to think of it as something you would not want to leave out in the rain without protection - like not parked outside in the rain while the user is inside for shows or restaurants.
The most important part to protect is the controls. Some companies provide a plastic cover (basically a shower cap) to put over the controls when it is raining - a lot of repeat ECV renters bring their own. People also protect the controls by wearing a poncho the covers the controls when it is raining.

Also, keep in mind that some areas will be slippery in or after rain, so the ECV will not have as much traction or be able to stop as quickly on wet pavement as on dry. There are also puddles, which may be deeper than they look.

I have never used Buena Vista, and it sounds like I should be glad. My husband and I now have our own scooters, but for many years, we used Walker Mobility. Most times were great, and we never had a problem to call them about. Once, we got a flat tire and we were all the way back in Frontierland. I called and was told to push it to the front gate and leave it with the Disney Scooters and they would pick it up in the morning. A new one was delivered to our hotel. Problem was, my husband and I had to push it all the way to the front and that was extremely difficult.

After that, we bought my husband a scooter as we knew we would need it from then on. After I broke my leg 3 years ago (we are in our 70's) I bought a scooter. Since then, we have found Randy's mobility company and they have been wonderful. They do rent scooters, even though we have never had to rent from them. But, we have had times where our own scooters needed repairs and they always came out to help up. The first time we called them was Memorial Day a few years ago and within an hour, Randy was at our door to fix a broken wire on the battery. I was shocked to get service on a holiday, let alone that fast. I must admit when we bought our own scooters, we made sure to buy the kind that didn't have inflatable tires, so no more flats for us.

Like I said we only had that one problem with Walker and really like Randy's now. I think either one is a good company.

If I am at the parks and caught in the rain and don't have a poncho with me I'lll pop onto the nearest store and ask for shopping bag to cover the controls.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter