Budgeting "spending money."

Jen D

DIS Veteran
I see people break down their budgets, and I see some people budget a significant amount for "spending money" that is separate from their food budget. What does this include? Souviniers? I am looking at our plans and I see most of our out of pocket going to food and drink, with the exception of the costs at the babysitting clubs, a cab here and there, and maybe a souvinier or two for the kid. I don't know what other "extras" there are, unless we run out of film, sunscreen, etc. What am I missing? For the record, we are not big buyers of Disney merchandise, except maybe somthing for our daughter. (When we were at DL, my rule of thumb when looking at all the cute character clothing was-- it may look cute if I wear it here, but would I wear it in my normal life? :D )

Just curious where your money for "Extras" goes to...

The extra "spending" money we always have in our budget is for snacks and drinks in the parks (we never deny ourselves a Mickey Ice Cream Sandwhich or whatever and that adds up fast), souviniers (we do tend to buy a lot of stuff and we DO wear it in our normal lives), recreation (Water Mice rentals, miniature golf, etc.), and any unexpected extras (more film, a new tire, etc.). I try to have about $100 of "spending" money for every day we are there. This DOES NOT include our meals, tickets, etc. I know that sounds like a lot, but I would rather have some left (which we usually do) than have to worry about running out. And, like I said, we like to be able to eat what we want, do what we want, and (to a certain extent) buy what we want while we are at WDW without worrying about it. You could certainly be comfortable with quite a bit less!

Mine pretty much goes to food and souvenirs. I stay on-site, so I have no additional transportation expenses. I only plan to do one sit down meal. My son and I aren't big feeders, so a low budget for meals will be fine.

Since I hate to haul out large suitcases and waste vacation time in front of a conveyor belt, I pack light. If I run out of clean clothes, for example, I just do the laundry in the hotel for just a few bucks. My son has his own souvenir money already in Disney dollars, he knows he must budget it for each day.

My trip in five days is already paid off, so I figure that budgeting $100/day covers it well, anticipating left over money.

Wanda

Budget? What Budget? isn't that what plastic is for!?!?! Just kidding.
I usually try to have all the film, sunscreen, pain meds and all from home. Way too expensive to buy there. We have a rule of thumb which works most of the time, we try to only buy souvenirs when heading out of the parks. Not during the day. This helps with our kids not wanting everything they see. They know they have to wait till the end. We usually hit the outlet too. This is great but where we get in trouble! The prices at times can be great and we end up going over budget! LOL! But....what deals!
Anyway we bring out own water into the parks and some snacks for the kids. We always plan on at least one icecream a day. Since you aren't very interested in Disney clothes and stuff you shouldn't have to budget as much as those of us who love Disney stuff!

Another tip that we ALWAYS do to save money on vacation and actually anywhere,is to drink water with all meals.It is free and it can save enough for a snack or some sort of mid day dessert in the parks.We save approx. $4.00-$5.00 with the four of us when we drink water.That's just an idea!

another $100 a day over and beyond the food budget? yikes, this trip is really going to clean us out. On the other hand, I have built water, snacks, etc. into our food budget.

I have to admit, I am really scared of not having enough money for this trip. I tried to budget enough for food and fun (we are a family of two adults and a pre-schooler) so that we would not have to worry too much about money... I never want to have to say on my vacation-- "boy those deserts look good but I really can't afford it." And I cancelled all my credit cards (self-control issues!) so I have to stay in budget!

Money worries have spoiled many a vacation for me, and I am determined it not happen this time. That's why I want to be prepared for anything!

I'm saving Disney Dollars for my DS's ages 10 and 4. I try to budget $10 a day for whatever they pick out. If they get extra money for holidays and such I divide it up for how many days I'm staying and add it to their spending flow. The older one does great but it's my 1st time with the 4yo so I'll let you know how it works!:D I try to do the same, whatever money I save in Disney Dollars goes towards what I want to buy for myself. DH says he spends enough on the trip! :rolleyes: (Although, he came home with the signed James Earl Jones lithograph last time!)

WELL,as a true bugeter,we budget $100.each for extras[non food or drink items] DD saves for her $100. Then Dd gets to spend it anyway she wants!! Dh and I took a $100.each. This Mar. 2001, we hit a lot of sidewalk sales and spent all our $$ to good advantage!!

And WE do wear Disney or Star Trek everywhere but work!!

I can fully understand how you feel about not having enough 'Wild' money to splurge with on vacations.But for me,I stop and consider how much would that particular item be in a regular store?Of course some things there can't be gotten anywhere else,but is it really worth it?Is $5.00 for a pastry really worth it?Or $3.75 for an ice cream?For me,I say no it's not,so we refrain from those type of items.I guess I'd rather eat at a nice restaurant or two and spend a little more in that way,than just go on a spending spree for anything I see.
But don't misunderstand me.I 'd love to do the same thing that I read in your post,and not worry about money on our trip,but I guess I just have to realize that I am not 'Chevy Chase',and he is.
With more money than me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter