Brown Derby or Via Napoli?

meaganmusing

Earning My Ears
We've eaten at Via Napoli and really enjoyed it on our last trip. Thinking of hopping from HS to EP on our first park day for dinner at Via Napoli, but there's a Brown Derby reservation available. Which would you choose? If we stay at HS we'd stick around for JBJB as well. We're doing the Illuminations Dessert Party the next night. Thanks!!

I've only eaten at Brown Derby once and was not impressed. Much preferred Via Napoli but that's just me.

Tough call. Food wise, I would pick VN hands down. However, I have heard that JBJB is amazing....and I’m sorry now that I didn’t wait around for it while I was down. Brown Derby has been good but, in my experience, it is super overpriced for what you get. HS is just really not super impressive when it comes to food.

We love the Cobb salad and usually share the appetizer. It's a pretty large portion. The filet and the shrimp dishes were very good. We love Via Napoli too. But, Via Napoli can be so loud. We enjoy the food at both places.

For us, VN is good and we enjoyed every meal there, but not in the same class as Brown Derby. Not even close. Depends on what type of food you are looking for, really.

I like both restaurants for different reasons and consistently return to both. Take a look at the menus and decide which one appeals to your party most.

We've eaten at Via Napoli and really enjoyed it on our last trip. Thinking of hopping from HS to EP on our first park day for dinner at Via Napoli, but there's a Brown Derby reservation available. Which would you choose? If we stay at HS we'd stick around for JBJB as well. We're doing the Illuminations Dessert Party the next night. Thanks!!
Who is "we"? How many, how old? Any picky eaters? I think all of these factor into your decision.
As others have said they are very different. HBD is a Signature Restaurant. It will be 2 credits on the DDP. It is expensive and a bit more "upscale". With young children I would lean toward Via Napoli.

If you are doing Illuminations the following night, I would definitely do HBD and stick around for JBJB. HBD is our go-to in DHS. Consistently good food and service. I also love the old Hollywood atmosphere.

Who is "we"? How many, how old? Any picky eaters? I think all of these factor into your decision.
As others have said they are very different. HBD is a Signature Restaurant. It will be 2 credits on the DDP. It is expensive and a bit more "upscale". With young children I would lean toward Via Napoli.

Thanks! Our kids are 9 and 7 but not super picky. They're used to eating at fairly upscale places, but they loved VN two years ago. If I could get a reservation at VN on another day I'd pick HBD for sure that first day!

Y'all are not making this any easier for me! :) I may keep both reservations and make a game time decision - one is for 5PM and the other 7PM.

We love the Cobb salad and usually share the appetizer. It's a pretty large portion. The filet and the shrimp dishes were very good. We love Via Napoli too. But, Via Napoli can be so loud. We enjoy the food at both places.

That cobb salad looks fantastic!!

Thanks! Our kids are 9 and 7 but not super picky. They're used to eating at fairly upscale places, but they loved VN two years ago. If I could get a reservation at VN on another day I'd pick HBD for sure that first day!

Y'all are not making this any easier for me! :) I may keep both reservations and make a game time decision - one is for 5PM and the other 7PM.
When you make a “game time decision “ you are holding an ADR that you won’t use and is no longer available to another family
In addition you may be charged the $10/person No Show fee that was put in place to prevent this type of ADR hoarding

When you make a “game time decision “ you are holding an ADR that you won’t use and is no longer available to another family
In addition you may be charged the $10/person No Show fee that was put in place to prevent this type of ADR hoarding

Oh wow - not intending to hoard anything - I was referring to within the 24 window. Don't people often do that? Isn't that why so many reservations open up the day before and people are always telling you to check the app when you get there? We will be there for 6 days and I currently have 6 reservations made for our whole stay - including our dessert party. I don't feel like I'km hoarding anything!

Oh wow - not intending to hoard anything - I was referring to within the 24 window. Don't people often do that? Isn't that why so many reservations open up the day before and people are always telling you to check the app when you get there? We will be there for 6 days and I currently have 6 reservations made for our whole stay - including our dessert party. I don't feel like I'km hoarding anything!
Cancelling before the 24 hour window is not a problem. What isn't liked is when you cancel and hour before or just don't show up. That is when you are making an ADR you don't plan to use not available to another guest. That may be part of the reason Disney added the $10 noshow fee.

Having multiple reservations for the same meal - like you do - is what led to the No Show fee implementation. And yes many do it. That’s the problem. Others can not make that reservation in advance. I don’t think HBD is that busy, but Via Napoli is a hard to get ADR
Canceling the night before will avoid the fee.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter