Brought Home a Disney Souvenir- COVID

No one is surprised.
What absolutely boggles my mind is that we can't say "covid" anymore.
Concerts across the world being cancelled due to "illness" and "lung infection;" the "mystery illness" that's hitting everyone at the US Open right now. I mean it's absolute insanity. It's one thing to sort of move on with life with the mitigations we have. But no one wants to admit Covid is still doing a number on everyone and everything. I guess ignorance really is bliss!

No one is surprised.
What absolutely boggles my mind is that we can't say "covid" anymore.
Concerts across the world being cancelled due to "illness" and "lung infection;" the "mystery illness" that's hitting everyone at the US Open right now. I mean it's absolute insanity. It's one thing to sort of move on with life with the mitigations we have. But no one wants to admit Covid is still doing a number on everyone and everything. I guess ignorance really is bliss!
4 of the Cincinnati reds pitchers are on the Covid injured list. It’s definitely happening whether people want to acknowledge it or not.

I think we as individuals need to be smart and be aware of your surroundings. I still mask in indoor grocery and retail stores. I have not in restaurants, only in rest rooms. I masked on transportation, trains etc. I will be masking coming down to Disney in late October same as last December. On the airplane, at the parks and at the resort. I bring wipes with me everywhere. I not a nut about this but I try to be cautious and aware. I have been lucky and I know it. I knowledge that this is a virus and I don’t want it but I also want to live my life. Yes, I am older and aware that older adults can be more susceptible to disease. Also I don’t care what others think of me when I am masked up. I actually had an employee of a grocery store when I was ordering something from the butcher shop tell me to take off my muzzle (mask) because he could not hear my order. I think he was either sent for retraining or fired.

I went to WDW when masks were required inside. It wasn’t so bad. I think we’ll wear them on the plane and then inside.
I just returned from Hawaii, was surprised how many on the flights were back in masks, and even using wipes for their pull down trays - I had neither - and came down with a cold (not covid) a few days later. I should have masked up - I DID wear a mask on the way to Hawaii and did not get sick - I was obviously more concerned with not getting sick on vacation lol. I too will go back to being a bit more careful on flights and in crowded areas. Neither flu nor covid are fun.

Well, sorry to the thousands of people I came in to contact with this week. I ended up feeling chilled waiting to board the plane to head home. I couldn’t warm up no matter how many layers I put on. Started getting a sore throat on the flight home, and the next morning woke up with headache, stuffy and runny nose, chills and fever. I took 2 at-home tests and they came up positive.

Lots of people were coughing, sneezing, and sneezing into their hands or not covering their sneeze at all.
The trip was amazing, and the Halloween party was so much fun! No rain which was so nice!
Stay healthy, everyone!!
I got it too. 😣 I still mask on planes. Went in April and didn’t get it. Last year, I got it once I returned.

So did a colleague and seven family members and friends she traveled with two weeks before I went.

So did a friend who went three weeks before.

It’s strange. I’m hearing about so many people getting it at WDW now.

Last edited:

I was just reading up on how the US open is afflicted now with “mysterious illnesses“ John McEnroe admitted that he now has Covid.

This just proves that humanity is messed up. I mean come on people admit the fact that there is Covid going around the U.S. Open. It’s sickening and sad how players are still playing when they’re sick. One would think that they would have enough professional staff doctors, trainers that would say hey guys don’t play especially if you have Covid. I guess the heart muscle is not relevant as much their swing. I’m just so shocked that a professional athlete would put their body at risk for a game.

on a serious note. I am starting to get concerned for our October Cruise it's a 11 night. My and my mom who is 72. She had covid a year ago, did well, and has had 4 shots.. I just called and said please get the 5th before this cruise. She as kinda pushing me back, as she is simply sick of getting shots, didnt have issues with any of her.

I had covid about 3 weeks ago, so I feel ok cruising. I just told my mom that after seeing what is going on right now 100% somebody will have covid on that boat and that means a VERY high chance she is exposed seeing how fast my group of friends caught this variant ( and we are all boosted and have had it already) she should expect it. I am not worried of her getting in grave illnees, but I still wouldnt want a case while on cruise vacation where I have plans. So pi$$ed as I was really hoping that this cruise covid woudlnt be on my mind and now it is..

Does anyone know if the new shot covers this varient??? she will call her DR to ask if it makes sense for her to get it..

My family caught covid at WDW a few days ago. We drove, did not fly, so we definitely picked up the virus from somewhere “in the bubble.” The one positive thing is that this variant seems much less intense than whatever we had in summer of 2021. I was sick as a dog back then, didn’t feel right for 10 days, could barely breathe. Now I feel fine, I had some sniffles and congestion but it was gone by day 5. The rest of my family either stayed asymptomatic or felt better by day 5, too. Maybe it’s because we’re vax’d, and I’m not a doctor so idk how elderly people are doing against this variant. But it gives me hope that other people will not get as sick, either.

Also I am SO grateful that we did not catch it until the end of our vacation!!! We spent 7 days in the parks and the sniffles started on our way home in the car. Luckiest break I’ve had in a while.

My family caught covid at WDW a few days ago. We drove, did not fly, so we definitely picked up the virus from somewhere “in the bubble.” The one positive thing is that this variant seems much less intense than whatever we had in summer of 2021. I was sick as a dog back then, didn’t feel right for 10 days, could barely breathe. Now I feel fine, I had some sniffles and congestion but it was gone by day 5. The rest of my family either stayed asymptomatic or felt better by day 5, too. Maybe it’s because we’re vax’d, and I’m not a doctor so idk how elderly people are doing against this variant. But it gives me hope that other people will not get as sick, either.

Also I am SO grateful that we did not catch it until the end of our vacation!!! We spent 7 days in the parks and the sniffles started on our way home in the car. Luckiest break I’ve had in a while.

I think it's a "your mileage may vary thing." My coworker came down with it last week (not her first time). Came on fast, thought she was fine, but the next day she was SOOOOO sick. Not hospital sick, but it has definitely been kicking her butt.

on a serious note.
I thought your previous post on the golf people was pretty serious. Crazy actions on their part.
She had covid a year ago, did well, and has had 4 shots.. I just called and said please get the 5th before this cruise. She as kinda pushing me back, as she is simply sick of getting shots,
I've had all 6 so far, last one back early May. I'll be eligible for the new one in October. No issues with any of them.
Does anyone know if the new shot covers this varient??
The current shot does not cover the new variants. The one that should be approved and released in mid/late September will be covering the variant.

I read an article that makes sense to me. The upshot is that Covid is now like a nasty flu. It poses a real danger for the at-risk population, but is not likely to kill healthy people. The lesson we need to take away from the pandemic is to take all viruses more seriously and tamp down our paranoia regarding Covid (for most people). The misery, loss of productivity, and possibility of medical complications exist with many illnesses so we should try to avoid the spread of more than just Covid.

I do remember that when I wore a mask in crowded spaces, I didn’t get sick at all. It was a nice benefit. DH and I plan to continue to mask up in crowded situations like public transport, lines at WDW, etc. It’s a small price to pay for being able to go everywhere and do anything but avoid the guilt of passing on a virus that could kill someone.

I thought your previous post on the golf people was pretty serious. Crazy actions on their part.

I've had all 6 so far, last one back early May. I'll be eligible for the new one in October. No issues with any of them.

The current shot does not cover the new variants. The one that should be approved and released in mid/late September will be covering the variant.
No it's tennis! not Golf.. which is even worse. Google US Open player sick.. it's insane

i had an appointment last week, then on the morning of the appointment I saw the news about the new updated boosters coming out... immediately cancelled and will reschedule for the updated ones. Def will be masking on the planes for my Halloween trip, likely in crowded areas as well.

Well, more confirmation that Disney is crawling with covid. My neighbors across the street are DVCers....and go every summer. I don't know if they always go this late in the summer, but it's always them (two adults and their 6 and 4 year old boys), her parents for sure and I think her sister's family most years. Anyway, this year they did a week at Disney and then a four day Disney Wish cruise.

She's a nurse and has covid a few times, but said that she started feeling really crappy on day one of the cruise. She said that her whole family and her parents got it. Her parents' symptoms started 1/2 way through the cruise and they spent they final full day in their room. They were supposed to get home on Friday afternoon, but ended up getting a couple of hotel rooms and switching flights to yesterday because her father was too sick to travel. She said that next year they're going to go very early in the summer to try and avoid it. It does seem that covid builds over the course of the summer as more and more people get out to travel.

She didn't say if they continued on with activities once they got sick (her husband two little boys)....and I didn't ask. But I suspect they powered through. This is how it goes I suppose....the younger people who can power through do....older people may end up losing some or most of their time on vacation to bedrest.

Kids here start school here this week....should be interesting.

Does anyone know if the new shot covers this varient??? she will call her DR to ask if it makes sense for her to get it..
nope - they already announced they won't likely have the vaccine covering the new variant until later this fall - like Oct at earliest. I was hoping for Sept, but doesn't look promising.

nope - they already announced they won't likely have the vaccine covering the new variant until later this fall - like Oct at earliest. I was hoping for Sept, but doesn't look promising.
Well, the only vaccine that I've heard about is new booster due to roll out in mid-September. I'm not sure if it covers the newest highly mutated strain that is just getting started, but it covers the one that kicked off summer covid. Both strains are descendants of the Omicron variant and so the updated booster will supposedly be effective against both.

I'm on the fence whether to get it now, or a month out from our trip to Panama in mid-January.

OP get well soon.

not directEd at you OP but why don’t people just say they got Covid ”on vacation”? Unless they wear PPE every single second and remove it when they enter WDW and put it back on when they step foot outside WDW- the can’t say they got it at WDW.

PPE is always going limit exposure-especially for those that can’t or won’t get the boosters.

I am getting my Covid booster and Influenza vax this week. I am also going to take someone’s suggestion on the N95 AURA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter