Brocolli Rice Casserole

That sounds really good! I will check my books in a bit..

I'm going to check all my cook-books! I'll be right back! Hopefully finding what I'm looking for,though I never do..

I didn't find a single one! I look in the index for 6 books they were most likely to be in. Terribly sorry!

WAIT! I googled it and found it! Here is what I found..

INGREDIENTS:
2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped broccoli
3 cups instant rice
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 1/4 cups water
1 (16 ounce) package processed American cheese, cubed
1 tablespoon butter
1 bunch celery, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
salt and pepper to taste

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:
Cook broccoli and rice according to package directions. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a medium saucepan over low heat, mix cream of mushroom soup, cream of chicken soup, and 1 1/4 cups water. Gradually stir in cheese until melted. Be careful that the cheese doesn't burn.
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat, and saute celery and onion until soft.
In a large mixing bowl, combine broccoli, rice, soup and cheese mixture, celery and onion. Season with salt and pepper. Pour mixture into a 9x13 inch baking dish.
Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, until bubbly and lightly brown.

I fix this only at Thanksgiving, and it is always the 1st thing gone! Enjoy, this is a recipe my mom used to make that I tweeked. BTW, I'm normally not a Velveeta fan, but this is the only cheese that works in this casserole.

Lanette's Turkey Day Broccoli Casserole

4 servings prepared Minute Rice
1 large bag of frozen Broccoli cuts (not pieces & stems)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 lg. box Velveeta Cheese
1 can chicken broth
1-2 cups of milk
Salt & Pepper to taste

In large bowl, whisk together soups, chicken broth and 1 cup of milk until well blended with little or no lumps. Add rice and broccoli, mix thoroughly. Mixture should have much liquid. Add Salt & Pepper to taste (1tsp pepper, 2 tsp salt) If mixture seems too dry, add remaining milk until mixture has enough liquid to absorb cooking of rice.

Slice entire box of Velveeta cheese into approx. 1/4" slices, set aside.

In large (9X13") glass casserole pan, spray bottom liberally with Pam. Spread 1/3 of rice/broccoli mixture on bottom of pan. Layer Velveeta end to end across 1st layer of rice. Repeat rice/broccoli layer and again top end to end with Velveeta. With remaining rice mixture, cube little chunks of Velveeta into rice until well mixed. (You may not use whole box of Velveeta, just add what you think is needed). Spread last layer of rice/broccoli/Velveeta chunks over last layer of cheese. Salt & Pepper top lightly.

Cover with foil and bake about 25-30 mins @ 350 degrees. Take off foil and continue cooking until all sides are bubbly. (may need to put pan underneath casserole to avoid bubbling over).

Let cool at least 10 mins before serving. Feeds approx. 6-8

Is the rice cooked before you assemble the casserole? Or do you put it in dry?
I have recipes that I use that use it dry-so just curious..thanks

JoenAdamnErinnSam said:
Is the rice cooked before you assemble the casserole? Or do you put it in dry?
I have recipes that I use that use it dry-so just curious..thanks
Good question..

I cook the rice before I add it in in my recipe, but it still absorbs liquid when baked, so make sure you leave enough liquid in mixture before baking.

I made a really easy broccoli-rice casserole the other day. Unfortunately I didn't have a recipe, but this is what I did:

Cook 1 1/2 c. rice (approx. 3 cups cooked)
in a seperate bowl, mix together 1 can condensed broccoli-cheese soup and 1 pint low fat sour cream
Stir in rice and mix well
Place in casserole dish (I sprayed first with non-fat cooking spray)
Poke frozen broccoli into rice
Cook on 350 for about 30 minutes

It was very tasty.

JodiandTony said:
I made a really easy broccoli-rice casserole the other day. Unfortunately I didn't have a recipe, but this is what I did:

Cook 1 1/2 c. rice (approx. 3 cups cooked)
in a seperate bowl, mix together 1 can condensed broccoli-cheese soup and 1 pint low fat sour cream
Stir in rice and mix well
Place in casserole dish (I sprayed first with non-fat cooking spray)
Poke frozen broccoli into rice
Cook on 350 for about 30 minutes

It was very tasty.
Yum! I may just have to make that!

Well thank you for posting that recipe. It sounds yummy and I'm definately going to waltz it around the kitchen and see how it holds up... :surfweb:

Just wanted to let you know I made the 2nd recipe (Lannies Turkey Day recipe) for Easter dinner yesterday-and it was delicious! I also made the Crockpot Mac and Cheese-which was also yummy, but the broccoli/rice bake was the best! Thanks for the recipes!

That the recipe I posted turned out well for you! I love that recipe and no matter when or where it's eaten, it always gets positive reviews. I'm so glad you liked it thanks for posting! :wave2:

thelionqueen said:
That the recipe I posted turned out well for you! I love that recipe and no matter when or where it's eaten, it always gets positive reviews. I'm so glad you liked it thanks for posting! :wave2:

I just had to tell you I made your broccoli/rice recipe, too, for Easter and Whoo-whee!!! Is it ever good! It'll be a keeper at this house. Thank you so much for posting it! And, thank Lanette, too (or is that you??).

Pat

inky dinky doo said:
I just had to tell you I made your broccoli/rice recipe, too, for Easter and Whoo-whee!!! Is it ever good! It'll be a keeper at this house. Thank you so much for posting it! And, thank Lanette, too (or is that you??).

Pat
You're welcome Pat!! It made me smile from ear to ear knowing that the recipe was a hit, thanks for letting me know. And yes, I'm Lanette. Feel free to adopt the recipe as your own, I'll never tell :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter