Brining our own snorkel gear to Castaway Cay?

Princess Denise

Mouseketeer
We have an almost 4 year old who is so excited to finally get to snorkel in the ocean. She is an excellent swimmer with no floaties or life jacket - she will most certainly always be wearing one for safety in the water.... and snorkels in pools all the time... I just learned that she is not old enough to snorkel or use the tubes at Castaway Cay! She is not old enough but she looks old enough- she is VERY tall. If we bring our own snorkel gear, will she be able to snorkel?

We have an almost 4 year old who is so excited to finally get to snorkel in the ocean. She is an excellent swimmer with no floaties or life jacket - she will most certainly always be wearing one for safety in the water.... and snorkels in pools all the time... I just learned that she is not old enough to snorkel or use the tubes at Castaway Cay! She is not old enough but she looks old enough- she is VERY tall. If we bring our own snorkel gear, will she be able to snorkel?

she is absolutely allowed to snorkel
If you bring your own gear. EVERYONE is required to wear the snorkel vests which are free.

A side note, the actual snorkeling area, I'm told, is quite far out. You may want to plan snorkeling in another area.

When my son was 12, we did the sting ray feeding. Afterwards, you have time to be in that area looking at the sting rays. This would be a great time for her to have her own mask.

We brought our own too. Saved us a lot of money! But
Like others have mentioned, the swim to snorkeling is quite far, especially if you want to get to the sub or mickey/Minnie statues.

A side note, the actual snorkeling area, I'm told, is quite far out. You may want to plan snorkeling in another area.

When my son was 12, we did the sting ray feeding. Afterwards, you have time to be in that area looking at the sting rays. This would be a great time for her to have her own mask.

you have to be 5 for the stingray feeding and you are only allowed in that area if you pay.

The swim out to the snorkel area is far. And too far for a young child. Being in the ocean is very different from the pool. I am sure she can snorkel close to shore. There isn't much to see- some fish from time to time, mostly not. Back when my kids were younger-8/9 years old they snorkeled out to the statues. My husband and I had to tow them back. Not fun. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Good for you!! We did this our first time to CC. We brought our own snorkel gear, with fins and used the life vest from there as they require it. While we may not have snorkeled a lot, it was his first intro to it and it was awesome. We took the go pro and got it on video of course. So while she may not remember it later, you’ll talk about it enough as she grows, that she’ll THINK she does though. *wink* Was it worth lugging all that gear? Then....yes. lol I look forward to getting back there one day. Until then, perhaps land trips to the beach. There are some great areas for her to do that here in the US where there are calm waters great for snorkeling in case cruising takes a while.

you have to be 5 for the stingray feeding and you are only allowed in that area if you pay.
Thanks for the correction. I didn't realize it was for 5 and up. And you're right, you have to pay for the excursion to get in that area.

I'm just going to chime in and add I think the age restriction is there for a reason. We took our twins who were almost 8 years old on our last cruise. Unfortunately, while we were about as far out as you can get in the snorkel zone, out of nowhere a storm came through. The sky went from sunny to dark in minutes, the waves became very rough going in the opposite direction as the path to the shore (you can't get straight to shore from parts of the snorkel area because there is a rope--you have to go around to the side). By the time we realized what was happening and started to turn back, the water was pushing us backward in between strokes, and the twins couldn't swim forward at all. Luckily DH and I are strong swimmers because we had each took a twin and let them "ride" on us the whole way back. My muscles were screaming when we got to shore though!

I'm not saying that is typical or anything, but it definitely gives me pause about taking a 4-year old out. Pool snorkeling and ocean snorkeling are not the same thing. In fairness, we were there at the tail end of hurricane season in November. When we went the prior year in August, the water was smooth as glass.

We did CC once last year and DD was almost 11 but is petite for her age. She and DH did the snorkel thing by renting the equipment there (it was a spontaneous decision). The equipment was very used and next time (whenever that will be) we will be bringing our own gear. We will make room in packing.

You need flippers to swim out to snorkel area, but flippers are very bulky to pack. Bring your own mask and tube and rent flippers. Test your mask and tube in the swimming pool before going on your trip.

-Paul

The swim out to the snorkel area is far. And too far for a young child. Being in the ocean is very different from the pool. I am sure she can snorkel close to shore. There isn't much to see- some fish from time to time, mostly not. Back when my kids were younger-8/9 years old they snorkeled out to the statues. My husband and I had to tow them back. Not fun. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.
Thank you for telling me... I had no idea it was far out. Are you allowed to snorkel close to the shoreline or is there a flow of traffic type of thing? If we have to tow in and out we are good with it but, we would rather be safe then sorry.

We did CC once last year and DD was almost 11 but is petite for her age. She and DH did the snorkel thing by renting the equipment there (it was a spontaneous decision). The equipment was very used and next time (whenever that will be) we will be bringing our own gear. We will make room in packing.
Good to know... things that go into our mouth... would definitely rather it be our own things... not shared.

I'm just going to chime in and add I think the age restriction is there for a reason. We took our twins who were almost 8 years old on our last cruise. Unfortunately, while we were about as far out as you can get in the snorkel zone, out of nowhere a storm came through. The sky went from sunny to dark in minutes, the waves became very rough going in the opposite direction as the path to the shore (you can't get straight to shore from parts of the snorkel area because there is a rope--you have to go around to the side). By the time we realized what was happening and started to turn back, the water was pushing us backward in between strokes, and the twins couldn't swim forward at all. Luckily DH and I are strong swimmers because we had each took a twin and let them "ride" on us the whole way back. My muscles were screaming when we got to shore though!

I'm not saying that is typical or anything, but it definitely gives me pause about taking a 4-year old out. Pool snorkeling and ocean snorkeling are not the same thing. In fairness, we were there at the tail end of hurricane season in November. When we went the prior year in August, the water was smooth as glass.
Thank you. We would definitely rather be safe then sorry. We would do all we can to keep her safe. It was just a year difference for the age restrictions ... by the time we go... less then6 months. Just wanted to check... do you know if they would be okay with us snorkeling close to the shore? Or is there a flow of traffic- no stopping- type of thing?

Thank you. We would definitely rather be safe then sorry. We would do all we can to keep her safe. It was just a year difference for the age restrictions ... by the time we go... less then6 months. Just wanted to check... do you know if they would be okay with us snorkeling close to the shore? Or is there a flow of traffic- no stopping- type of thing?

You can go as deep as you want. The age limit is only for rentals, not bring your own. There is nothing to prevent you from trying it out in the shallow water and taking it by ear going out deep. My kids enjoy playing with their snorkels in the shallows. Its kind of magical for them.

Thank you for telling me... I had no idea it was far out. Are you allowed to snorkel close to the shoreline or is there a flow of traffic type of thing? If we have to tow in and out we are good with it but, we would rather be safe then sorry.
Biggest issue with snorkeling close to shoreline is there isn't really that much to see.

Biggest issue with snorkeling close to shoreline is there isn't really that much to see.

I agree, BUT...

At least my kids (when they were aged 4-12) enjoy the PROCESS of snorkeling. They don't really care if there is much to see. (They enjoy the good stuff better, but just playing with the snorkel, seeing the tiny fish, checking out the sand moving in the water keeps them plenty happy.)

I have seen little kids close to shore in the past. I am not sure if anyone would say anything as long as they were in the snorkel area (lagoon). I would say it was about 250+yards out to the fun things to see, so 5 laps (back and forth) of an Olympic size pool? I swim several miles every week in a pool at the gym. Endurance wise, I am fine, but factor in wind, a bit of current, salt water, which I am not used to, etc. I towed my kids back in once, I think they were like 6 years old? Exhausting! LOL. I am sure you will make the right decision for your family. Enjoy your cruise!

You must be in the snorkel area in order to snorkel. The life guards are specific about it. They can hangout near the shore if they want, but it must be in that area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter