Bringing your pet tips???

Echo queen

<font color=darkcoral>I like the idea of being clo
We are planning a WDW visit with our dog for the first time. Max will be 1 month short of 1 year old. This is our first pet, Max is in puppy school so he will be well behaved. We will be flying.

Where did you stay?
Where and how did you board your pet?

We have been to the world over a dozen times but no pet experience.
Any tips will be helpful, and yes we do want take him with us.:)

Hotels are too distracting for my dog with all the noise, so when she travels it is preferred to be in a rental home so she isn't stressed and so that other travelers aren't bothered by any barking.

When we go to the parks she gets boarded for the day at the Disney kennel - Best Friends Pet Care. She is not a fan of kennels, but other than that we have had no issues. Staff is friendly and will even give you a tour if you're unsure of the facilities.

It depends on your pocketbook as to what your choices are, here. The previous poster has one option, but kenneling your dog someplace is an extra expense.

We like Residence Inn in Lake Buena Vista. It's not a bad commute back and forth from the park. We take our own crate for our dog. We find the most quiet place for the crate in the bedroom usually against a wall and a dresser, as an example. We will put a pillow on the top of the kennel to deaden any barking noises; although, our dog is not really a barker. We tend to go to the furthest point away from the outside door. We keep the TVs on as a distraction and we don't do housekeeping. We get our own supplies when we need them. We make sure the dog has done all potty before we go to the park. Also, we take an afternoon break to be with the dog. Again, we make sure all potty has been done before going back to the park. I will admit our day is shortened at the park, but we're okay with that because we are with our dog. We give our dog plenty of playtime, too and walks around the resort.

If you haven't crate trained your dog then I would start now before the trip. Reward the dog with a treat for going in the crate. Reward again for staying quiet for a certain period of time.

Hotels are too distracting for my dog with all the noise, so when she travels it is preferred to be in a rental home so she isn't stressed and so that other travelers aren't bothered by any barking.

When we go to the parks she gets boarded for the day at the Disney kennel - Best Friends Pet Care. She is not a fan of kennels, but other than that we have had no issues. Staff is friendly and will even give you a tour if you're unsure of the facilities.

An off site resort is an option but we would like to board him during the park visit time.

It depends on your pocketbook as to what your choices are, here. The previous poster has one option, but kenneling your dog someplace is an extra expense.

We like Residence Inn in Lake Buena Vista. It's not a bad commute back and forth from the park. We take our own crate for our dog. We find the most quiet place for the crate in the bedroom usually against a wall and a dresser, as an example. We will put a pillow on the top of the kennel to deaden any barking noises; although, our dog is not really a barker. We tend to go to the furthest point away from the outside door. We keep the TVs on as a distraction and we don't do housekeeping. We get our own supplies when we need them. We make sure the dog has done all potty before we go to the park. Also, we take an afternoon break to be with the dog. Again, we make sure all potty has been done before going back to the park. I will admit our day is shortened at the park, but we're okay with that because we are with our dog. We give our dog plenty of playtime, too and walks around the resort.

If you haven't crate trained your dog then I would start now before the trip. Reward the dog with a treat for going in the crate. Reward again for staying quiet for a certain period of time.

We started crate training from day one. Max has the puppy apartment but really prefers going outside.

We stayed at the Residence Inn Convention Center and saw a few dogs there. I didn't bring one but they were in the lobby and elevators.

Ok we are flying: booked
Rental car: booked
Wyndham Bonnet creek: booked

Has anyone one used a boarding place other than disney:stir:?

I know you said your flights are booked but have you also made plane reservations for Max- in cargo hold or under the seat if he is small enough. And do you have a Plan B if it's too hot to fly him on the days you are traveling?

I know you said your flights are booked but have you also made plane reservations for Max- in cargo hold or under the seat if he is small enough. And do you have a Plan B if it's too hot to fly him on the days you are traveling?

Our trips in a March so weather is not an issue he's 3.5 pounds now with a max weight of 7 lbs.

Flying Southwest he will be in the cabin with me, yes this is noted in my reservation and spoke with customer service no problem.

I am a resort owner and he is also booked in my Wyndham bonnet creek reservation.

I believe I have these area covered.

I am looking at boarding him for a few days during our stay, I don't want to leave him in the room alone on disney days. I will not be using best friends.

We plan on doing dog friendly activities while there.

This will be our first time traveling with a pet. We have had Max since early July he is our first pet.

Our trips in a March so weather is not an issue he's 3.5 pounds now with a max weight of 7 lbs.

Flying Southwest he will be in the cabin with me, yes this is noted in my reservation and spoke with customer service no problem.

I am a resort owner and he is also booked in my Wyndham bonnet creek reservation.

I believe I have these area covered.

I am looking at boarding him for a few days during our stay, I don't want to leave him in the room alone on disney days. I will not be using best friends.

We plan on doing dog friendly activities while there.

This will be our first time traveling with a pet. We have had Max since early July he is our first pet.

Bonnet creek allows dogs? The website says no.
http://www.wyndhambonnetcreek.com/faq.aspx
"7. Is this a Pet-Friendly resort?

Sorry, no pets."

If Max is a service dog can you take him with you to the parks? You should find out what you need so he can come with you (paper work?) Just a suggestion?

I believe disney allows service dogs into parks and also at their hotels. But I think they need the paperwork on it like some sort of id that states he's a service dog. If u have all that I'm sure u could prolly just bring him into the parks then it saves money on kenneling.

Echo queen said:
Max is a service dog I should have specified that.

This is all quite new to me.

Disney allows service dogs. No paper work is needed. However please remember if he does anything wrong (barks at inappropriate times, lunges, trips people, grawls, snarles, etc) he can be asked to leave. In rides where he can not go on there is a kennel you can leave h8m for the duration of the ride but no longer.

If he is a true service dog you technically should never be with out him for long periods of time. I see you say you are new to all of this. If he is only a year old he should really still be in training? Did you get him from a real service dog trainer or someone that just claimed that he is a service dog. At under a year old he is still too young to be trusted with your life. Most recognized service dog facilities will not turn over a dog that is less than 2 years old as a fully trained service dog.

I only mention this because gosh forbid something happen to your pup or he do something to someone (bite out of fear, dart, jumo up on, trip, bark etc) a pattern of leaving the dog away from you or lack of training could come up if it was to become a legal case.

It seems you are very new to this. I just hate to see so many people who really need a service dog being dooped by these fake breeders and trainers and don't want you to fall into that trap.

Thanks for all the helpful comments, my DH and I have researched lots of helpful info and we are getting a grip on the ins and outs.:thumbsup2

I would use Best Friends. They are great. They stay open 1 hour after the last Disney park closes for the day. So if the last park to close is
MK at 1:00 a.m. the pet resort will stay open till 2:00 a.m. So that gives you plenty of time to spend at the park and then head over to pick up your fur baby. Which is convenient.

They have a great recreation area for dogs. Very friendly staff. My Aunt and Uncle are part time Disney CM and when their schedule are such that they both have to work on the same day, they take their dog to the Best Friends for the day. Sam loves it there.

http://www.bestfriendspetcare.com/waltdisneyworldresort/dog-park/

Disney allows service dogs. No paper work is needed. However please remember if he does anything wrong (barks at inappropriate times, lunges, trips people, grawls, snarles, etc) he can be asked to leave. In rides where he can not go on there is a kennel you can leave h8m for the duration of the ride but no longer.

If he is a true service dog you technically should never be with out him for long periods of time. I see you say you are new to all of this. If he is only a year old he should really still be in training? Did you get him from a real service dog trainer or someone that just claimed that he is a service dog. At under a year old he is still too young to be trusted with your life. Most recognized service dog facilities will not turn over a dog that is less than 2 years old as a fully trained service dog.

I only mention this because gosh forbid something happen to your pup or he do something to someone (bite out of fear, dart, jumo up on, trip, bark etc) a pattern of leaving the dog away from you or lack of training could come up if it was to become a legal case.

It seems you are very new to this. I just hate to see so many people who really need a service dog being dooped by these fake breeders and trainers and don't want you to fall into that trap.

:thumbsup2

Have a friend that trains service dogs - they are not turned over for final advanced training ( for particular issue) with their adopted owners until they are well past the puppy stage!

You say he is a 'trained service dog', but is now in 'puppy school'???

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter