• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bringing wine

Fldogmassage

Earning My Ears
I want to make sure I'm reading the policy correct. Both my husband and I can bring two bottles of wine on board. It is per guest not per state room?

I'm not a big wine person, I have an occasional glass with a meal, so I was curious as to how long (on avg) a 750ml bottle lasts? Is that an amount that can typically be drank in an evening by a single wine drinker? I usually prefer beers so don't really have a feel for this.

I'm not a big wine person, I have an occasional glass with a meal, so I was curious as to how long (on avg) a 750ml bottle lasts? Is that an amount that can typically be drank in an evening by a single wine drinker? I usually prefer beers so don't really have a feel for this.

There are approximately 5-6 glasses of wine in a 750ml bottle. While a single wine drinker could drink an entire bottle in one evening, I wouldn't recommend it.

750ml is a standard size bottle of wine. I wouldn't suggest finishing it off in one night by yourself. It's several glasses.

So a single bottle basically equals a 6 pack of beer? If that's the case I'm sure many cruisers polish that off in an evening.

The alcohol content is so much higher in wine that, while I can drink 6 beers over the course of an evening and still be able to function the next day, I can't say the same for wine.

Funny, even though I asked the question. We are not HUGE drinkers .or wine drinkers. We will get Chocolate wine. And figure the 4 bottles will last the whole week .Plus a Pina colada here and there. Definitely can finish off one bottle between the two of us . especially if we have a glass after lunch, before dinner and after dinner. I know we can get I ports. But we don't need to being the kids in to liquor stores.

There are approximately 5-6 glasses of wine in a 750ml bottle. While a single wine drinker could drink an entire bottle in one evening, I wouldn't recommend it.

Agreed. Now if it was a bottle of German Auslese I have downed those all by myself. At 7.5% alcohol they go down pretty easy. A bottle of 18% Zin? No way.

The alcohol content is so much higher in wine that, while I can drink 6 beers over the course of an evening and still be able to function the next day, I can't say the same for wine.
That’s interesting. The alcohol content of most table wines is typically in the 11-14% ABV (alcohol by volume) range while most quality beers are in the 4.5-7% ABV range. A 750 ml bottle of wine yields about five 5-ounce restaurant pours. Thus a single serving of wine and a single 12-ounce serving of beer have approximately the same amount of alcohol (as does a 1.5 ounce shot of 80 proof hard liquor since 80 proof = 40% ABV): 0.55 - 0.7 ounce of “pure” alcohol, varying more or less depending on the actual alcohol content of the beverage (so YMMV). Perhaps the next day aftereffect of drinking a full bottle of wine compared to drinking six 12-ounce beers is a consequence of the other flavornoids and esters in the wine rather than just the alcohol, since these are not all that different. Some people say they notice the aftereffects from drinking “brown” liquors like whiskey or cognac more than the aftereffects of drinking “white” liquors like vodka or gin, even though they might consume the same number of drinks of about the same alcohol content over the course of an evening.

To get to the question that triggered the discussion: DW doesn’t drink. I find that a half-bottle of wine or one of the cruise line mugs of beer (about 21 ounces) is just right for dinner. If I purchase a bottle of wine, I drink about half and have the assistant server recork it and store it for the following evening. Another alternative is to order wine by the glass. I sometimes do this if I want a white wine with my appetizer and a red wine with my entree.

So you're right - the actual alcohol content is the roughly the same, based on a serving. But I think the issue here is concentration, which would be the same reason you feel more "wired" after a shot of espresso vs a 12oz coffee, despite the drip coffee (usually) having more caffeine overall. So it's possible that the volume of liquid (2.1L of beer vs 750mL of wine) consumed with the alcohol helps to mitigate the effects? I don't know. It's too early (with the time change) on a Sunday for me to google this.

Also, fwiw, I can say from empirical study that whiskey hangovers and vodka hangovers feel about the same. Not recommended in either case.

So you're right - the actual alcohol content is the roughly the same, based on a serving. But I think the issue here is concentration, which would be the same reason you feel more "wired" after a shot of espresso vs a 12oz coffee, despite the drip coffee (usually) having more caffeine overall. So it's possible that the volume of liquid (2.1L of beer vs 750mL of wine) consumed with the alcohol helps to mitigate the effects? I don't know. It's too early (with the time change) on a Sunday for me to google this.

Also, fwiw, I can say from empirical study that whiskey hangovers and vodka hangovers feel about the same. Not recommended in either case.
The red wine hangover effect has been documented: http://www.businessinsider.com/red-wine-worst-hangovers-2016-8. It’s those byproducts of fermentation that bring so much character to wine.

One bottle if you actually fill a standard glass is about 3 glasses. 250 ml and for those who drink at home a standard serving. Drinking wine at a restaurant is a lot less under 200 ml per. I hate ordering wine whe out as I feel like I sm paying more for less . Many people can finish a bottle in one evening when then focus is wine drinking. But with a meal a bottle is more a challenge and unless you are doing a french style 4 hr meal not recommended.

That’s interesting. The alcohol content of most table wines is typically in the 11-14% ABV (alcohol by volume) range while most quality beers are in the 4.5-7% ABV range. A 750 ml bottle of wine yields about five 5-ounce restaurant pours. Thus a single serving of wine and a single 12-ounce serving of beer have approximately the same amount of alcohol (as does a 1.5 ounce shot of 80 proof hard liquor since 80 proof = 40% ABV): 0.55 - 0.7 ounce of “pure” alcohol, varying more or less depending on the actual alcohol content of the beverage (so YMMV). Perhaps the next day aftereffect of drinking a full bottle of wine compared to drinking six 12-ounce beers is a consequence of the other flavornoids aor cognac more than the aftereffects of drinking “white” liquors like vodka or gin, even though they might consume the same number of drinks of about the same alcohol content over the course of an evening.

To get to the question that trignd esters in the wine rather than just the alcohol, since these are not all that different. Some people say they notice the aftereffects from drinking “brown” liquors like whiskey gered the discussion: DW doesn’t drink. I find that a half-bottle of wine or one of the cruise line mugs of beer (about 21 ounces) is just right for dinner. If I purchase a bottle of wine, I drink about half and have the assistant server recork it and store it for the following evening. Another alternative is to order wine by the glass. I sometimes do this if I want a white wine with my appetizer and a red wine with my entree.

Okay. I'm with @starvenger that it's way too early on a Sunday after the time change to process the numbers, and I was drinking a lovely 14.5% ABV cabernet last night when I wrote that. I know a glass of wine is supposed to have the same amount of alcohol as a beer, but when I'm drinking beer, I'm drinking the lowest alcohol content beers, around 4.5%. But the wines I drink generally have 14.5% ABV, so at the top of the range you gave. Plus, also as @starvenger mentioned, if you are looking at the volume of liquid needed to consume the same amount of alcohol, it's going to take me longer to drink 6 beers than to drink 6 glasses of wine. So whether it's the tannins/sulfites/flavornoids/esters/whatever in red wine or that I probably am consuming more alcohol in a shorter period of time when I drink wine versus beer, I stand by my original comment that I don't recommend a single drinker downing a bottle of wine in one evening. Of course, I also don't recommend anyone consume 6 beers over the course of dinner either.

And when I'm on a cruise, I usually drink one glass of wine in the room before dinner, a glass with dinner, and then a glass later in the evening. So slightly more than half a bottle over the course of 5 or 6 hours.

One bottle if you actually fill a standard glass is about 3 glasses. 250 ml and for those who drink at home a standard serving. Drinking wine at a restaurant is a lot less under 200 ml per. I hate ordering wine whe out as I feel like I sm paying more for less . Many people can finish a bottle in one evening when then focus is wine drinking. But with a meal a bottle is more a challenge and unless you are doing a french style 4 hr meal not recommended.

But filling a glass isn't considered a standard serving. As stated above, a standard pour is 5 ounces. When I'm drinking at home, I tend to pour slightly more than 5 ounces so I get 4 "full" glasses and one half full glass from a bottle. But I won't state that a bottle of wine has less than 5 glasses in it just because I pour a little heavy at home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter