Bringing fruit on vacation

Minnie-Mickey

DIS Veteran
Not sure where to post, move if needed. Anyone ever pack fruit on their checked baggage on plane to bring to park. I have a soft sided with hard bottom rolling duffle from llbean. I have brought plastic mugs and popcorn buckets home empty. never has one broken. Thoughts of using the rectangle hard plastic canister from Rubbermaid filling with halo oranges in one and grapes in another. I would duck tape them shut. Thoughts good idea, bad idea? Anyone try with success? Can I bring fruit on the plane? Ma - Fla. Green grocer did not have as an option. Maybe I should have emailed to request but they did not have any delivery times as well. Last minute trip planned 2 weeks ago for July 4th no slots to deliver for days.

I've taken a bag full of lemons in my checked baggage several times (DH eats 2-3 every day and they are hard to find if you don't have easy access to a real grocery store)

I've also taken smaller quantities of grapes, apples, etc in my carryon as snacks for the plane.

So as far as I know, there is no rule against fruit :)

As long as you are flying from the main land to the main land you are fine. If you fly to say puerto rico they will take them.

Depends on the state. I know when you cross into California (driving at least) there is a whole table on what you can and can't bring from where. Some are not allowed at all from anywhere, some require a permit, some are ok from some states but not from others. I'm sure the airline probably doesn't care so I doubt you'll get caught, but it might still be illegal.

Do fruit even want to take vacations? When I read the title of the thread, the first thing that popped into my head was a mental image of the Claymation California Raisins doing Disney World. :rotfl2:

Last edited:

Not a good idea at all. In fact a dumb idea. Pests get transported.
That is the reason I was asking for thoughts. In this area, we are not allowed to transport wood into campgrounds for bug reason. Given most of the fruit here comes from Fla, I was unsure.

Check your airline's website. They'll give you a list of what you can (mostly what you can't) carry on board.

Not sure where to post, move if needed. Anyone ever pack fruit on their checked baggage on plane to bring to park. I have a soft sided with hard bottom rolling duffle from llbean. I have brought plastic mugs and popcorn buckets home empty. never has one broken. Thoughts of using the rectangle hard plastic canister from Rubbermaid filling with halo oranges in one and grapes in another. I would duck tape them shut. Thoughts good idea, bad idea? Anyone try with success? Can I bring fruit on the plane? Ma - Fla. Green grocer did not have as an option. Maybe I should have emailed to request but they did not have any delivery times as well. Last minute trip planned 2 weeks ago for July 4th no slots to deliver for days.
I am a DVC member. We cook when we come down. I take everything I need that I can not get "specialty items" in Orlando. I have a hard side suitcase I specifically use. I expect that TSA may open so I pack and label everything I put in that suitcase so they do not need to open the containers. I have been doing this for YEARS never a problem. We fly direct from NE so it is only a 3 hour flight. I also pack frozen things in a freezer bag from Whole Foods. It is usually still Frozen solid when we arrive.
Good luck. Labels and containers are the key to success.

When traveling for a long distance (driving to FL or flying to Hawaii) we always carry some kind of fruit for snacks along with other snack foods. For the plane, we have a smaller soft side cooler that we use as a carry on. If you have access to an airline lounge, they will normally have no problems filling up a large ziplock bag or two with ice. If you don't have access to a lounge, you might have to buy a cup of ice or two from a vendor in the airport itself. Wash and bag the fruit and then when you arrive in Hawaii, go by the inspection station. When we did this two years ago the agent didn't even look in the ice chest at what we had after I told him. His only question was where the oranges were purchased. If they are purchased in FL, then you will not be allowed to bring them in but if purchased in other locations, then you will have no problem. Still would be a good idea to check the state rules for bringing in food items when traveling as there are some bans in place to prevent the transfer of bugs as previously pointed out.

I take apples and carrots in carry on to eat on long plane rides.
While there, I order groceries to be delivered to our room.

There's no prohibition from bringing fruit into Florida from MA (doubt the grapes are from FL, and Halo brand mandarins are grown in CA) regardless of the origin. Now, would I pack it to fly with? Nope. But you can if you want.

My daughter is doing the College Program and wanted some good stuff, so I took apples, oranges, and pears, as well as other food, in my carry-on. The almond butter was confiscated, but everything else passed through. By the time I got the pears out, they were bruised, but the rest survived, although the green beans were steamed...
Then I learned about WeGoShop.com. They deliver from any store you like. Now, my daughter gets produce from Trader Joe's or Whole Foods delivered to her door. It works better than American Airlines...

Don't bring Apples unless they're individually wrapped in newspaper and then in a hard sided container or ... squish!

But I've brought it. Not large quantities, but I do bring fruit occasionally. For carry-on, it counts as your lunch if it's in a small bag and doesn't even go against your allowance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter