• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bringing a babysitter with us, any suggestions?

addie

Mouseketeer
Hi,

We have a 16 year old girl that babysits our son all the time, and we just love her, she is wonderful with kids and really great to be around. She has never been on a vacation like this before and has never been to DW, so I think this would be a real treat for her.

I would like to take her with us, but be very upfront about the idea that this is a "real babysitting job" that there will be times when the kids are cranky and she will need to stay with them in the room, while we go to the parks, and that although we are on vacation her first priority would be helping to keep the kids happy.

Of course we would pay all her expenses, pay her, and then when we cruise she could do whatever she wants because the kids clubs will be available.

Has anyone brought a babysitter before? What were your experiences and suggestions?

Thanks!

I think it is a wonderful idea! As a parent that is not comfortable with in room babysitting, We too have considered this.Our plan was to take our 16 year old niece. I think that if everything is set in stone before the trip that it can work. Even though this is a working vacation, remember that a 16 year old , or anyone, can only be expected to be "on duity" for a set time each day. Parenthood does not count.LOL. Make sure she gets some time alone in the parks to do her own thing and that she does not get overwelmed with three that young ones. Decide with your family ahead of time what you all are comfortable with her as far as her roll. Will you let her take the children anywhere alone? Can he leave the room with the children while you are out for the evening.? Also don't forget she is a minor and you need emergeny papers signed from her parents as well as thier input on how much freedom she is allowed on the trip. I would not tell her yet that she will not have any duties on the ship until you see how the children adjust to the kids club. You might have one that refuses to stay and a in room sitter might be very inportant to you. TALK TALK TALK and set those rules and it will be great.

jordan's mom

Thanks! What do you think I should do about paying her? Althought we are paying for her whole trip, should I still pay her normal sitting fees? This could get kind of expensive?

Thanks,
A

We also took our niece along with us on a WDW vacation. Granted, our niece was only 13, so that probably made a big difference, but it did not turn out that great. We were gone for a week, which turned out to be too long for her to be away from home. She was pretty homesick by the time we were done. She was so excited to go (her frist time at WDW) and we had these great plans (which niece was involved with making), but it just didn't work very well. We had our DD (18 months) with and it was her responsibility to just be there to play with her and help us with her a bit. We did not leave them alone as I think 13 is too young to be alone in hotel room. Since it was very stressful for my niece, it ended up that we were actually taking care of 2 kids (like I said, 13 is a big difference from 16).

Other problems came in the form of my niece getting her period for the very first time ever while we were there! Poor girl! She was really a trooper about that, but I'm sure it affected her mood. She also had her fanny pack stolen after she left it set in a bathroom stall and lost her mother's camera (her mom and my brother are divorced - ugly) and $80. My problem was I tried to do too much so she could "see it all" and we rushed around like crazy. Bad idea.

We started out very excited about the trip and it ended up just being an ordeal we got through. My niece is now 17 and I've never heard her say anything great about that trip. I would just check out the possiblity of homesickness, realize that any teenager away from their element can be stressed, and also realize that any teenager on a 24-7 schedule with people she doesn't live with can be cause for stress.

Good luck! I hope your experience is better than ours.

Hi!

I have both sides to the story too! First trip, my kids were 5, 3 and 19 months. We brought a young girl from Church. She babysat for us for 6 months prior to the trip (to get ready...). She was 13 also. Summary: homesickness, lying about cell phone use, immaturity, boys boys boys... we had four kids! Ugh! It did allow my DH and I to go down to the lobby/dinner in AKL each night but still...

Next trip we brought our regular sitter (17). Awesome girl. Very mature (outward bound, trips away from family, etc...). Completely different trip! She was great! We had no problem leaving the kids (now 6, 4 and 2) alone at the hotel while we went offsite for dinner and such. She helped out tremendously. We paid her trip and food. But we only had her actually babysit at set times ahead of time... i.e. Thursday night, Saturday night, etc... She knew exactly how much babysitting time was expected of her.

Last impromptu trip we didn't bring anyone and used Fairy Godmothers inroom sitting service. Very nice. They have excellent reviews here on the boards. We were a little nervous (alot :rolleyes: ) but we had fun (AP event at TOT and RnRC). We plan on using them again for one night in July while DH and I see Cirque.

Well, that is my story and I am sticking to it. 13 is WAY young. 16 is better. If she is well travelled, that will help! Someone who is used to being away from their family is a TOTALLY different person!!

Good Luck!

Karen

Originally posted by addie
I would like to take her with us, but be very upfront about the idea that this is a "real babysitting job" that there will be times when the kids are cranky and she will need to stay with them in the room, while we go to the parks, and that although we are on vacation her first priority would be helping to keep the kids happy.
Thanks!

You say she has never been on a vacation and that this will be a treat for her. How can she enjoy it if she has to be the one to stay with the kids when they get cranky while the adults are enjoying themselves in the park?

What happens if the kids have a melt down in the parks? Will she have to take the kids back to the resort by herself? Will she be responsible for all 3 kids or just the oldest one?

It sounds like the resort time won't be much fun for her, but the cruise might be.

Can the 1 and 2 year olds go to the kids club? If they can't/won't go to the club, who will stay with them, the parents or the young lady?

Maybe I've missed something but I don't see how this "vacation" will be a treat for her. It might be easier if the kids were older.

I've been reading this thread, and i'm no longer a teen nor do i have kids yet but here's my 2 cents for what its worth.

I would specify exactly what times you'll expect her to babysit or an amount of hours so there is no friction once you're there. My opinion is the trip is payment for babysitting, but be sure to be clear what you are paying for/not paying for so she'll know how much extra money to bring. If you wanted to pay her for each time she babysits on vaction, what about disney dollars?

Is there anyway she can meet the other 2 children before hand? 3 really young children might be alot for a 16 year old, so you might want to consider how you use her when you are there. For example, you might put the children to bed before you go out. Watching 3 sleeping children is completely different from trying to get them to go to bed.

I would also explain sleeping arangements, are you getting her her own room? I wouldn't expect you would, but she might. I don't know how well you know her parents but maybe if she agrees to go you could sit down and write up an informal contract stating exactly what you expect of her and what she expects of you.

I think its a really nice idea, and could work out really well if you both know what you want to get out of it.

We took my husband's niece with us to WDW a couple years ago. We actually had her for the entire summer - but started with the 'big' trip. Kelly was 15.
First, we took her clothes shopping. That was the first part of her pay - which she understood. We paid all expenses while on the trip and gave her spending money much the same as if she was one of our children.

And that was the big difference. At 15 or thereabouts, they are still children. She helped out with the children (youngest DS was just over a year), helped at potty breaks, diaper changes, loading-unloading, if we wanted a special date.

We tried to make sure she had time for herself without the little ones, too. We all need time away. :jester:

Kelly had spent a lot of time with our family. She was used to how we operated.

We call this type of position a 'Mother's Helper". They don't have as much responsibility - but relieve you of some of the stress. They don't get as much pay - but it does help them get experience. Usually we do this with younger kids around the house - but I agree COMPLETELY with needing someone older for a trip of any duration.

It's extremely important that the deal is made clear ahead of time - even writing it down like a job description might help.
As well as having notarized authorization to seek medical help you should get a copy of the insurance card, etc.
Ask parents what the rules are on boys, dating, etc.
And make sure the parents are clear on the responsibilities your sitter will have!

We are taking my mother with us on our trip in January. We decided to get two rooms at the All Star Movies resort. My husband and I will share one room, and my mom will have the other room with the two girls. Hopefully, we have connecting rooms. We are paying for my mom's trip. The only thing she has to pay for is food and whatever else she wants to buy. I think it will be easier since she is my mother. We've made it very clear that she is going in the role of "babysitter". We are going to do a couple things without the kids that we have planned, but also have told her that if our toddler gets really out of hand in the parks (tired) that she will go back to the resorts with her.

We have also discussed the fact that we will want some private time without her there. So, she will also get to go and explore on her own. I know she is really looking forward to Epcot. I would like to explore that some more myself, so I'm hoping that even my mom and I get to spend some time together.

This all sounds like we sat her down and said this is the way it will be. Not at all. She is very excited to be going. She would never have the opportunity to go otherwise. But, I think it is better to know beforehand what we are wanting from her, so that she can either say "great, let's go" or "I'm not up for that".

We have gone to WDW since my oldest was 4 and our youngest was 2 .We took our Nanny a few times and we just made sure we had rooms that were conected. She was paid her normal salary while we were there and we set a couple of times that she could be alone and do what she wanted ahead of time.We never had a problem .

Originally posted by Madi100
We are going to do a couple things without the kids that we have planned, but also have told her that if our toddler gets really out of hand in the parks (tired) that she will go back to the resorts with her.

Why does your mother have to be the one to do this? Why not you or your husband?

I guess this sentence and a sentence like it from the OP, gives me a bad feeling about the babysitting thing. It seems to me that everyone will have a great time as long as the kids are up to it. But when the kids have had enough the babysitters fun time is over, not the parents.

When I think of taking a babysitter on vacation, I see that person as an extra set of hands in the parks, restrooms, waterparks.....
Someone to leave them with while the adults have some alone time.

I just think if I'm around when my child has a meltdown, it's up to me to deal with it, not the babysitter.

I can't imagine having an extra person on vacation with us. My favorite thing about being on vacation is spending time with my family, just the 3 of us, and I think that having an extra person in the equation would just spoil that.
I would rather deal with the odd meltdown personally (and I have to say, that we have remarkably few at WDW, it must be the magic or something, but my dd is much better behaved there than other places)

Bev

Originally posted by disneyjunkie
Why does your mother have to be the one to do this? Why not you or your husband?

IMHO, because the parents are PAYING for this service by paying her expenses. The grandma (babysitter) is an employee of sorts, and it's her "job" to look after the kids when the parents want some time to themselves. And she did agree to it, after all-- no one is forcing her to go!

Sue

hi,

I think the babysitter idea "could" work if responsibilities, etc...were discussed and agreed upon prior to the trip. 13, 14, and 15 is very young to be dragging children around the parks. Parents have a hard time with it sometimes. :) I also wouldn't want the babysitter wandering around by herself either (even in Disney). Yes, it is quite a scary world we live in (sad but true).

Isn't the point of a vacation to Disney World with the family for the families???? I'm sure it would be a nice break to have a couple of hours alone with my husband, but I can't imagine leaving them with someone else (what if I missed something???)...like the first time they saw Mickey, etc...????) :)

I'm not judging AT ALL...everyone is different. (just a few points). :):)

Having just come back from WDW with 1 child (2.5) and 2 adults, I think that 3 kids is too much for one girl to handle! She will be stuck in the room because there is no way to watch all 3 at once at the pools or the parks. How would you carry strollers and bags? And hold hands at the same time? It may be very hard to keep the kids happy in a hotel room.

And don't forget, you're talking about 3 very young kids. The 1 year old probably won't be able to walk very far, and the 2 & 3 year olds will want to run. It's not going to be easy.

I do think it would be nice to have another set of hands, but you'll have 6 adults for 3 kids, which is a great ratio! Instead of worrying about adding a babysitter into the mix, maybe plan out times when each couple (and the guys/girls) can do something alone.

For the 3 night cruise, you should be fine without a sitter. There is limited childcare for the younger 2, but enough to give everyone a break.

This will be our third trip to WDW. The first trip was taken by just my husband and myself. It was a very much needed trip for just the two of us. The second trip we took our daughter who had just turned four. For this next trip we will also be taking our daughter who will be about three. We LOVED the first trip where we didn't have to worry about tired kids. We didn't have to worry about eating at 11 at night because that is what we wanted to do. We could go on all of the "scary" rides together. We LOVED the second trip because we got to see more of the magic with the characters. It's just amazing how they believe anything and believe it all to be the real thing. We loved making memories as a family. Our daughter loves to look through the scrapbook and talk about what we did. She can't wait to go back.

We can't either. However, we would like to have some of that first trip with us. The way that we can do that is to take a babysitter. Instead of taking some high school girl we have decided to take my mother. My mother who will never get the chance to go to Disney World otherwise because she cant' afford it. In exchange for transportation, room, and ticket, my mother is agreeing to watch our children on a few ocassions. We will still plan on taking afternoon breaks so that the kids can take a rest. We just also like the idea of having someone there who can watch the kids while we do a "scary" ride. Or taking a child back to the hotel while we do a few more things before taking our break.

I would think that probably every single parent here has hired a babysitter at one time or another so that they could go and have some adult time. We are just doing the same thing.

I don't think there's anything wrong with bringing a sitter, as long as the details are worked out in advance.

This last trip was actually me, my mom & my 2 1/2 year old. DH came for 3 days. On the days he was there, mom mostly relaxed by the pool (her favorite thing!). We planned that she would watch DS for one evening while we had a special dinner out. She ended up watching him one additional night, while we went to a movie, but it was very close to DS's bedtime.

I don't think she could have handled taking him to the parks or back to the room alone. Not with the stroller and backpack. Maybe if we were at a monorail resort, but not anyplace where she had to get him on a tram or bus. A teen would be better in this case -- more energy! But you don't realize the logistics of handling kids at WDW until you've done it.

Again, it's fine to bring a sitter, but I wouldn't want one sitter taking 3 or even 2 young kids to the parks, and I'm not sure about the pool, unless they were used to the water or were willing to stay in the kiddie areas.

I honestly think it is a good idea especially at night when mom and dad just want to go and eat something special, or just to have sometime to themselves. I know this is a stupid question but you should look at the child labor laws for your state. That is if you do this the "right way" and fill out the W2 for your babysitter, and you needed document when she was actually working and when she wasn't. Another reason why you need to specify the times when she is working.

Paul

Has the sitter watched the kids for a long period of time before??Is she able to handle them when they get "cranky"? What about 3 cranky ones at once? Will the toddlers listen to her when it is time for bed or will they be running around the room screaming and laughing? I am just trying to see another side of this arrangement. Just keep in mind that if it is too much for her, she may never want to see your kid again! With that many adults going, I would just take turns with the kids or hire an in-room sitter that doesn't give a hoot about seeing WDW!

I like the idea of calling her (and using her services as) a "mother's helper" (not a babysitter). In other words, she's there to be an extra set of hands. You could decide when you and your husband were going out to dinner and get all the kids settled before you left for dinner - and that's the only time I'd leave her with all the kids (when they're all settled down) - in the evening and only maybe 2 or 3 times during the entire trip.

I'd make sure that I treated her as a member of the family - like a younger sister - for this vacation - and pay her a modest 'per diem' - she could use that for spending money - or save it as she choose. Treating her as a member of the family means that if it's decided that an adult ride is going to be done in the parks - you can all do the baby swap and you can go on the ride the 2nd time with her. You might also decide to set aside a time when your husband will look after the children after dinner and you and her can go to the parks (she'd probably like the company). Also she should have some time alone.

Quite frankly, I think expecting anyone to go to WDW - even if you are paying expenses - under any other circumstances is not fair.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter