Bring car seat and stroller?

Sherbertlemon

Earning My Ears
Long time Disney World adult bringing her kids to Disney for the first time in July- eeee!!!

Questions: kids are 3 years old and 8 months old. Do I bring car seats for both on the plane? If I don’t, how do we get to our hotel? Do I bring a double stroller or are the ones there comfortable/easy to use?

Halp.

It depends on if you're buying a seat for the 8 month old on the plane and how you're getting to the hotel.
For a 3 year old, we didn't bring car seats for the plane but plenty of people do. If the 8 month old has a lap baby ticket, no car seat for the plane. If they have a seat, yes car seat.

Whether or not you need the carseats after that will depend on how you're getting to your hotel. If you're using a bus, you won't need them. If you're using a car/van/etc you will.

As for the stroller, that's a personal preference. When we brought two stroller aged kids we brought one single and rented a double so we wouldn't have to deal with the double in the airport, etc. We used the single for the airport and a few smaller adventures (ie Disney Springs) and used the double the rest of the time. But, neither of my kiddos were under 1.

If you have a seat for them on the plane I would bring their car seat. Keeps them more secure, keeps your hands free and they are comfortable in something they are used to.
If you don't bring a car seat, car seats are not required in FL in for hire transportation. A cab, car service or bus will not need one.
Stroller I would highly recommend either bringing your own or renting one at the Orlando airport. You'll be much happier with that for the week than using a Disney one in the parks but not having one everywhere else.

Long time Disney World adult bringing her kids to Disney for the first time in July- eeee!!!

Questions: kids are 3 years old and 8 months old. Do I bring car seats for both on the plane? If I don’t, how do we get to our hotel? Do I bring a double stroller or are the ones there comfortable/easy to use?

Halp.
are you traveling as a single person? remember that carseats must go in window seat. not sure how with kids ages you would have to place seats in one row but you will not be able to in the middle. in the same thought if you only bring seat for baby your older child will not be able to sit in window seat

remember that carseats must go in window seat.
This is incorrect. FAA regulations require that the seat not block anyone's exit in case of emergency. Many airlines allow two seats to be placed in the middle and window seats with the parent on the aisle. If flying on a widebody you could also have the seats in the center section. Some airlines require a seat to be in the window, that is an airline rule, not a regulation.

This is incorrect. FAA regulations require that the seat not block anyone's exit in case of emergency. Many airlines allow two seats to be placed in the middle and window seats with the parent on the aisle. If flying on a widebody you could also have the seats in the center section. Some airlines require a seat to be in the window, that is an airline rule, not a regulation.
this has been true on every flight I have been on. I remember one where mom was flying with her 2 kids and was very upset that she was not allowed to place older child in window seat and baby in aisle with her in middle. ended up with baby in the middle but she had to stand up to help her older child. she was not a happy camper that day

this has been true on every flight I have been on. I remember one where mom was flying with her 2 kids and was very upset that she was not allowed to place older child in window seat and baby in aisle with her in middle. ended up with baby in the middle but she had to stand up to help her older child. she was not a happy camper that day
That's not the part I said you were incorrect on. You stated that child seats have to go in the window seat. They can not block anyone's exit.

We only have one little one and we have flown to Disney with DD when she was 10 months, then again when she was two months away from turning 3, and 3 and a half.

On the first flight we did opt to pay for a seat for her, had her in her car seat, and were very glad that we did. It offered peace of mind in case there was turbulence, but it also meant that we had the entire row to ourselves which was definitely an added perk in our situation. We used Magical Express on this trip so there was no need for the car seat on the bus and it just stayed in the hotel until we were ready to go back to the airport.

On the other two flights she obviously was old enough that we had to buy her a ticket but we did not opt to bring her car seat as it is hard to travel with. By the time these two trips took place Magical Express was gone so we opted to book a private town car with Mears, and you can request a car seat on those rides. While that was obviously more expensive than some of the shuttle services it was nice because once we had our luggage we were ready to go, no waiting for other passengers, etc.

We took her stroller on all three trips and even at 3 and a half were glad to have it. DD is a trooper but little legs get tired. We do take midday breaks in order to be able to enjoy more fun, stay out a bit later to see the nighttime events and activities, but also to keep at least a semblance of a schedule. Plus, we go in November, December, or March...going in July will be that much more draining because of the heat.

If the 8 month old has a ticketed seat, they will need a car seat that can be used in the plane.
We used a CARES harness for my 2.5 year old, but we could have survived with just a lap belt if she wasn't a maniac.

My kids are 4 years apart so we don't own a double stroller. We fly down with an umbrella and rented a double stroller. We don't rent a car so we don't travel with car seats.

If you’re flying by yourself with two little kids your life will be easier if you get the 8 month old their own seat on the plane and bring the infant seat. You can bring the 3 year kid’s seat and gate check it if you don’t think you’ll need it on the plane but want it for transportation once you get there. Also bring a baby carrier. I say bring the infant seat and baby carrier so you have options for having free hands to help the 3 year old when needed. Also pick seats at the back of the plane near the bathroom. It will make it much easier if you or one of the kids needs to use it.

Check your airlines policy about gate checking strollers. American Airlines has a 20 lb limit. I would definitely want a double stroller for kids that age in the park. The park strollers won’t work for an 8 month old because they don’t have enough support so you either need to bring your own or rent one from a company like Orlando Strollers (can p/u in MCO) or Kingdom Strollers (need to meet at resort) or Scooterbug (can p/u at bell service at a Disney resort)..

I would want my own stroller with a 3 yo and 8 month old. Never underestimate the power of the familiar while traveling with young children. That said, I've always purchased strollers with traveling in mind, so typically what I already have is the best of available rental strollers anyway. I always want a stroller with me in the airport too. Either the kids ride, or the carry-ons ride. Either way, it saves me some hands.

As for car seats, if I'm planning on a bus to, from, and around Disney, then I don't typically bring a car seat.
We are renting a car this time, because we're doing a few days at Universal afterward. So I will be bringing a car seat for my 3 yo to use on the plane. I don't trust baggage handlers with my car seats. If I had a baby, then they'd I'd be bringing a car seat for them too. It's annoying, but I've worn a child in a carrier, while carrying one car seat in front of me in one hand and another behind me in the other hand, and scooting along slowly with a toddler in walking in front of me down the aisle before. I don't even necessarily preboard, because the last thing I want is to be on a plane with little kids longer.
If I'm traveling with a second adult, then I'll often take the car seats onto the plane first, so I can get them installed, while the second adult waits with the kids in the terminal.

My process takes a few extra minutes in security, but I don't even notice the stink eye anymore. I'll typically let a couple people go ahead of me, while I get everything broken down. But, car seat safety is pretty much my hill to die on. I always give myself plenty of time to accommodate it. Also, I have a plan when I get up there, so I'm often quicker than full grown adults traveling alone.

If you have a seat for them on the plane I would bring their car seat. Keeps them more secure, keeps your hands free and they are comfortable in something they are used to.
If you don't bring a car seat, car seats are not required in FL in for hire transportation. A cab, car service or bus will not need one.
Stroller I would highly recommend either bringing your own or renting one at the Orlando airport. You'll be much happier with that for the week than using a Disney one in the parks but not having one everywhere else.
This is partially incorrect. Car seats are required for children 5 and younger in taxis/ride share vehicles, the responsibility just falls on the parent and not the driver

We have always felt that having a sturdy stroller in the parks gives us kind of a home base to be able to lug around ponchos and extra clothes and napkins and souvenirs. Even with an 8 and 6 yr old we will likely bring the jogging stroller.

Copied from the FL Drivers License Manual:
(https://www.flhsmv.gov/pdf/handbooks/englishdriverhandbook.pdf)

"Florida law requires that all drivers, all front seat passengers, and all passengers
under the age of 18 wear safety belts. Children under age 4 must be in a safety
seat, and children ages 4 and 5 must be in either a safety seat or a booster seat.

Florida law exempts the following from the safety belt requirements:
► A person certified by a physician as having a medical condition that causes
safety belt use to be inappropriate or dangerous. (Keep a copy of certification
while driving/being driven.)
► Employee of a newspaper home delivery service while delivering newspapers.
► School buses purchased new prior to December 31, 2000.
► Buses used for transportation of persons for compensation.
► Farm equipment.
► Trucks of a net weight of more than 26,000 pounds.
► A safety belt (without booster seat) may only be used for children 4–5 years of
age when the driver is not a member of the child’s immediate family and the
child is being transported as a favor or in an emergency.
It is the parent or guardian’s responsibility to supply the proper child restraint
when transporting a child in a vehicle for hire (e.g., taxi, bus, limousine)."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter