• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

brightline update

Some think Disney's hope was to have DS as the only Orlando stop.

Guests from southern Florida might decide to take the train imstead of driving. A few international guests might consider flying into MIA.

DME replacement...train will be more expensive and time from landing to a resort will be longer.
Even if a stop is added between MCO and DS, the impact on travel time will be minimal, from my experiences with the current South Florida segment, the stops at mid-way stations are very quick, no more than 3 minutes on the platform.. The train should be faster than driving especially when there is traffic..

Even if a stop is added between MCO and DS, the impact on travel time will be minimal, from my experiences with the current South Florida segment, the stops at mid-way stations are very quick, no more than 3 minutes on the platform.. The train should be faster than driving especially when there is traffic..
You're not going to be able unload then load famlies with luggage in 3 minutes.
I'm talking about time to resort.
Get luggage, summon rideshare, walk outside then Uber to your resort. Maybe 45 minutes, including 5 minute wait.

Schlep luggage back up to level 3, walk to tram to new pod, take tram then schelp to train station. 10 minutes? Wait up to an hour for the train. 10 minute train ride? Do you think it could be less? More if it takes long to load and unload pax with with luggage. Disney buses from DS, if Disney goes that way, at least 20 minutes. Less if your resort is SSR. Even a few minute wait. At least 5 minutes to load pax and luggage. Multiple stops.

The train is unlikely to save time. Figure at least an extra 30 minutes. More then double if hourly train service is offered.

DME is done & gone whether Brightline effectively "replaces" it or not, on top of this leg still being years away. There'll be at least 4 years of Mears Connect before this is even a possibility? I guess I'm saying I don't get hung up on the comparison.

I'm just excited for the train network expansion in general. Tampa->DS will be possible. DS->Port of Miami will be possible. South Florida airports, etc.. And you can come on Amtrak from the rest of the country to Orlando, or explore the rest of the US on Amtrak if you're visiting from overseas. Amtrak isn't the greatest now but the expansion over the next 5-10-15 years will shake that up. Atlanta->Savannah->Orlando without the jog up to Virginia, for example. Nashville <-> Atlanta.

DME is done & gone whether Brightline effectively "replaces" it or not, on top of this leg still being years away. There'll be at least 4 years of Mears Connect before this is even a possibility? I guess I'm saying I don't get hung up on the comparison.
Brightline service to Orlando is scheduled to begin early next year, that is right around the corner, and yes the DS station might be a few more "years away" but it will certainly happen within the next few years, before we know it we will start seeing changes at WDW to adapt to this new service and infrastructure to support the new station at DS.. It's not far fetched that this service could very well (and easily) replace the former DME service, Mears Connect is simply a band-aid and as we know it is not even officially endorsed by Disney..

I'm just excited for the train network expansion in general. Tampa->DS will be possible. DS->Port of Miami will be possible. South Florida airports, etc.. And you can come on Amtrak from the rest of the country to Orlando, or explore the rest of the US on Amtrak if you're visiting from overseas. Amtrak isn't the greatest now but the expansion over the next 5-10-15 years will shake that up. Atlanta->Savannah->Orlando without the jog up to Virginia, for example. Nashville <-> Atlanta.
I agree, even with the existing service Brightline has already changed South Florida and the expansion to Orlando will further amplify that, it is already highly anticipated by locals, especially in areas like West Palm Beach that will now be a stones throw away from Orlando with Brightline.. I think the bigger challenge will be finding a way to connect other train systems like Amtrak, and local public transit like SunRail, etc. to Brightline, as it stands riders will need to take an Uber/Lyft from the Orlando Amtrak Station to the Brightline station at MCO which is a bit of a hike, this is not efficient, a puzzle that will need to solved by a very complex maze of government entities..

I think the bigger challenge will be finding a way to connect other train systems like Amtrak, and local public transit like SunRail, etc. to Brightline, as it stands riders will need to take an Uber/Lyft from the Orlando Amtrak Station to the Brightline station at MCO which is a bit of a hike, this is not efficient, a puzzle that will need to solved by a very complex maze of government entities..
FWIW on this part, connecting directly from Orlando Amtrak to MCO might not be a huge need. Usually you'd be at least hitting up some sort of destination before making that intermodal connection.

But that being said while a lot of the details are currently sparse, the "east-west Sunrail" on these tracks between MCO, convention center, and DS is going to cross the existing North-South Sunrail line at some point and I would not be surprised if there's a transfer stop that could take you to Downtown Orlando if that's where you're heading instead of Convention Center / resort area. Not sure exactly what the plan is there though.

know it we will start seeing changes at WDW to adapt to this new service and infrastructure to support the new station at DS.. It's not far fetched that this service could very well (and easily) replace the former DME service, Mears Connect is simply a band-aid and as we know it is not even officially endorsed by Disney..
Several of us think Brightline would be horrible DME replacement for reasons already stated.You're trying to put a round peg in a square hole.

Several of us think Brightline would be horrible DME replacement for reasons already stated.You're trying to put a round peg in a square hole.
I strongly disagree, it is very feasible, this is what it will most likely look like:

1. Luggage will likely be pulled by an existing luggage delivery service like Bags, etc. and delivered directly to WDW resort as it used to with DME..
2. You take the tram from MCO main terminal to the new Intermodal terminal where the Brightline station is.. Not to mention, any flight that arrives at the new Terminal C will have direct access to Brightline without even having to board a tram..
3. You board the Brightline train towards DS, you sit back, relax in comfortable seats, on a modern smooth sailing train, maybe even enjoy an on-board beverage or snack while you are at it.. No having to deal with traffic, no traffic delays, you will zoom by congested roadways and smile knowing you made the right choice..
4. Upon arrival at DS you will simply get off, find your shuttle transfer to your WDW resort and of you go..

How is this putting a peg into a square hole?

I strongly disagree, it is very feasible, this is what it will most likely look like:

1. Luggage will likely be pulled by an existing luggage delivery service like Bags, etc. and delivered directly to WDW resort as it used to with DME..
2. You take the tram from MCO main terminal to the new Intermodal terminal where the Brightline station is.. Not to mention, any flight that arrives at the new Terminal C will have direct access to Brightline without even having to board a tram..
3. You board the Brightline train towards DS, you sit back, relax in comfortable seats, on a modern smooth sailing train, maybe even enjoy an on-board beverage or snack while you are at it.. No having to deal with traffic, no traffic delays, you will zoom by congested roadways and smile knowing you made the right choice..
4. Upon arrival at DS you will simply get off, find your shuttle transfer to your WDW resort and of you go..

How is this putting a peg into a square hole?
Disney discontinued luggage handling before they stopped bus service. There is no indication Disney has any interest in restoring it. Service could be restored for guests taking buses if there was interest, assuming someone is willing to pay.

Hourly service. You skipped the pax who took a bathroom stop, just missed the train and waits an hour, or delayed plane.

You really think there be time for drink service?

You get to your resot. You see pax from your plane leaving their room heading for the parks. You swear, under your breath. You feel stupid. You wasted time and money

The local news is reporting this morning that Disney has pulled out and there will be no Disney stop for Brightline. They are saying it is due to the new route configuration.

The local news is reporting this morning that Disney has pulled out and there will be no Disney stop for Brightline. They are saying it is due to the new route configuration.
It seems when they changed from the SR-417 route to a more northerly route towards the Convention Center, Disney opted out. There has to be more to the story. Maybe Disney was going to have to pony up more $$$? Maybe they were only interested if it was a non-stop from the airport??

In any event, the Universal lobby won again. I can see the shuttle busses from the Convention Center stop to Epic Universe already.

One of many many stories on it :
https://wdwnt.com/2022/06/breaking-...ne-high-speed-rail-station-at-disney-springs/

mac_tlc

It seems when they changed from the SR-417 route to a more northerly route towards the Convention Center, Disney opted out. There has to be more to the story. Maybe Disney was going to have to pony up more $$$? Maybe they were only interested if it was a non-stop from the airport??

In any event, the Universal lobby won again. I can see the shuttle busses from the Convention Center stop to Epic Universe already.

One of many many stories on it :
https://wdwnt.com/2022/06/breaking-...ne-high-speed-rail-station-at-disney-springs/

mac_tlc
I feel bad for the people in Tampa and Southeast Florida, who were hoping for an alternative to driving or flying to WDW. I never expected it to be an efficient replacement for DME, but I know if I lived in either of those areas I would have seriously considered taking the train to Disney over the alternatives.

Not sure if they're going to try to get Brightline / other parties to grovel to them and pay for the stop or what. Based on my understanding of the route to Tampa using rail ROW in the I-4 median, the train is going to be going right past DS, assuming it gets built.

It's actually the old 417 / southern route that never exactly made sense how they'd connect it to Disney Springs. The Disney "stop" would have been somewhere near WWoS and needed transportation connections to the resorts, parks, and DS.

I wasn't planning on using it anyways.. but sorry for those that were looking forward to it.

I'm not surprised at this, given the selection of the northern route along 528 and I-4.

I think I read that Disney agreed (as opposed to offered) to provide land for a stop when the first entity (prior to Brightline) that wanted to construct this railway line approached them, and then the DS stop sort of transferred over to the initial Brightline plans. Am I remembering correctly? This goes back quite a few years....

Hmm, near DS but not on Disney property - Bonnet Creek, maybe? Or near 535/Palm Parkway/Winter Garden Vineland Rd.? Anyway, fun to watch. popcorn::
So that would absolve Disney of the expense of providing transportation from the station to other areas on property, if it’s not on Disney land, correct? That would save them a lot of money, and may be a big reason it changed. I agree, fun to watch (but I will snack on chocolate instead of popcorn while we wait).

So that would absolve Disney of the expense of providing transportation from the station to other areas on property, if it’s not on Disney land, correct? That would save them a lot of money, and may be a big reason it changed. I agree, fun to watch (but I will snack on chocolate instead of popcorn while we wait).
Well, I'm not certain that having the station on their land would require Disney to provide transportation to their resorts for guests with luggage, which is a quite different kind of transportation than what they provide between their parks and resorts, although I am certain that many people would expect them to do so!

Prior to 2005 (when DME opened), all Disney guests including my family arrived to the Disney resorts on their own, so I don't expect Disney to provide transportation between the airport and its resorts. However, the options before DME were rental car, taxi, or limo service, so when DME came along, it was quite the perk! But in the years prior to the pandemic I saw more and more posts on the Transportation and Resorts boards recommending taking rideshare between MCO and WDW, whether or not they had registered for DME, because of the various inconveniences associated with DME. So I was not at all surprised when Disney announced the end of DME - I think rideshare killed it by being so inexpensive and convenient.

I can`t believe such a simple thing is so complicated.. It was my dream to step off a plane in Miami, hop on a Disney train and be off to WDW. How could they drop this? At least bring back Magical Express while we're all waiting! :sad1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter