brightline update

The links work; you just can't see them on the board. If you put them on a line with other text, at least the URL is visible.
Yeah, I know how to reveal the URL. I did it for a long time. By now, I think most people know to just click on it and it will open.

I just can't believe the DIS hasn't fixed the problem. They're usually much better than that, and this has been going on since their last software update...LONG time.

Yeah, I know how to reveal the URL. I did it for a long time. By now, I think most people know to just click on it and it will open.

I just can't believe the DIS hasn't fixed the problem. They're usually much better than that, and this has been going on since their last software update...LONG time.
Ever since the site was hacked. I think its low priority.

Yes, that is the planned completion of construction, but they're predicting service to start 1st qtr 2023. IMHO a year and a half is reasonable for completion, now that construction is proceeding. Brightline has a history of being late to start projects, but I think all the contracts are in place, and they've made impressive progress on the tunnels. There's still quite a ways to go on rebuilding all the bridges between WPB & Cocoa, but all or almost all are actively being worked on.

Perhaps plenty of time for Disney and Brightline to come up with an agreement for a replacement of DME.. I could see Brightline being the new DME option with the DS station being a transfer hub to complete the last leg of the journey to the resorts..

Perhaps plenty of time for Disney and Brightline to come up with an agreement for a replacement of DME.. I could see Brightline being the new DME option with the DS station being a transfer hub to complete the last leg of the journey to the resorts..
Brightline's Exec VP has said there is no interest in providing frequent local service. They are an intercity rail service, and they intend to run on an hourly schedule.

Brightline's Exec VP has said there is no interest in providing frequent local service. They are an intercity rail service, and they intend to run on an hourly schedule.

Interesting, this doesn't change the fact though that there will be service between MCO and WDW, and if it runs hourly as you state then this would be perfect for anyone commuting from the airport to WDW property.

Plenty of time? DME ends 12/31/2021. Brightline is hoping to have service, terminating at MCO by the end of 2022. Service to Tampa, stopping at DS, is in the discussion stage. End of 2024 if there aren't any roadblocks. At least 3 years without any shot of rail being available.

PP already told you guest transportation from MCO to WDW isn't the goal of Brighline.

I think there is a better shot of DME transitioning to MearsConnect. Some package guests might get included transfers or lower cost transfers.

Interesting, this doesn't change the fact though that there will be service between MCO and WDW, and if it runs hourly as you state then this would be perfect for anyone commuting from the airport to WDW property.
I'm not even sure why they are putting a station at Disney Springs. It doesn't seem to be the most logical idea to me.

The stated intent is to provide service all the way to DS for guests boarding Brightline in Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, and West Palm Beach -- basically providing better transportation between those three airports. But once at DS, the guests still have to transfer to some other mode of transportation -- buses, Uber, etc. Other than a cheaper Uber ride I don't see much benefit.

For guests arriving at MCO by air, they would have to make two transfers -- get their baggage and go to the station to wait for the train, get their baggage again and go to whatever they are using to get to their resort. Much simpler to just transfer to a resort-bound bus at MCO, IMHO.

And as Lewis correctly mentioned, Brightline to DS probably won't happen until 2024.

As of April 2021, the forecast start of service to DS was second half of 2026 (that's "first
segment" on the following slide):

Start of service to Tampa was not memorialized in writing, but when asked for a ballpark estimate, the Brightline VP offered '28-'29.

Note mention of SunRail to Airport on the slide: that is, of course, dependent on the SunRail board electing to join up with Brightline and share some of the costs and/or pay to lease track usage, and obtaining trains to run.

Last edited:
As of April 2021, the forecast start of service to DS was second half of 2026 (that's "first
segment" on the following slide):
View attachment 578163

Start of service to Tampa was not memorialized in writing, but when asked for a ballpark estimate, the Brightline VP offered '28-'29.

Note mention of SunRail to Airport on the slide: that is, of course, dependent on the SunRail board electing to join up with Brightline and share some of the costs and/or pay to lease track usage, and obtaining trains to run.
That's the kind of hook-up I think Brightline will arrange in Miami with Tri-Rail.

A MetroRail line already exists between MIA and the downtown Brightline station, but there are six stops in high crime areas between MIA and Brightline. A Tri-Rail from their existing MIA station to the Ft Lauderdale Brightline station might be more convenient for airport passengers.

The big problem with both of those ideas is not the people -- it's the luggage transfer. Maybe they can do some direct MIA Baggage Claim to Brightline shuttle service. There are a number of companies who provide similar services between Port Miami and MIA using a small bus and a luggage trailer.

I'm sure they'll figure it out.

Last edited:
Longtime Brightline opponent Indian River County, Fla., has agreed to drop its lawsuit against the passenger service over grade crossing improvements along the Florida East Coast rail line used by the passenger carrier. WPBF-TV reports the agreement calls for cooperative efforts between the county, state, and Brightline to pursue grants to cover an estimated $31.6 million to upgrade 32 grade crossings for 110-mph operation. The county’s share of improvements will be capped at $905,000. The full settlement is available here. TCPalm.com reports county commissioners unanimous voted to end the lawsuit after spending about $5 million in legal fees in fighting the passenger operator. County, state, and Brightline officials are scheduled to hold a news conference on the agreement today.

MCO to DS is way too out for prediction

but what I've seen for MIA to MCO was more than I paid to fly last time I did it . . .

MCO to DS is way too out for prediction

but what I've seen for MIA to MCO was more than I paid to fly last time I did it . . .
True..
It (brightline) was $15 for west palm beach to Miami in 2019.
I would still prefer the train if it was the same as the plane just to not deal with airport TSA..
Amtrak is $25 -50 one way from west palm beach to Orlando takes from 3 to 4 hours

True..
It (brightline) was $15 for west palm beach to Miami in 2019.
I would still prefer the train if it was the same as the plane just to not deal with airport TSA..
Amtrak is $25 -50 one way from west palm beach to Orlando takes from 3 to 4 hours
But Amtrak runs just 2 trains a day, and southbound trains, which originate in NYC, are usually late, averaging about an hour behind schedule for the faster train. Travel time of 3-4 hours is the faster train; the slower train via Tampa is 5-6 hours.

Brightline will run hourly, should run on time or close to it, and will be running modern smooth-riding equipment. Their legroom might not be as generous as in the current Amtrak coaches, but it's more than adequate and the seats are extremely comfortable.

I love riding Amtrak, but Brightline is an entirely different experience.

Just updating, as the fight over what route through Orlando to MCO...
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opi...0210716-3qm53insfvgbnditm7uexewa4e-story.html
It will be interesting to see what decision the expressway authority makes...and what the response from political leaders is. We had a great expressway authority here in Miami, but the politicians are trying to abolish it and replace it with a body that will do their bidding. The matter is tied up in court now.

Please update us on their decision!

Behind a paywall - would you mind summarizing, please?
You can go to Incognito mode and avoid the paywall.

Basically, it's an Orlando Sentinel editorial saying that their Expressway Authority should approve Brightline's request for approval of a route along the 417 expressway to Disney Springs.

"Other interests" including Universal Studios are arguing for a longer, much more expensive route (528 to I-4) that would take Brightline closer to USO. And they'd like for taxpayers to pay for it -- thank you very much!

You can go to Incognito mode and avoid the paywall.

Basically, it's an Orlando Sentinel editorial saying that their Expressway Authority should approve Brightline's request for approval of a route along the 417 expressway to Disney Springs.

"Other interests" including Universal Studios are arguing for a longer, much more expensive route (528 to I-4) that would take Brightline closer to USO. And they'd like for taxpayers to pay for it -- thank you very much!
Thanks - I didn't realize that Incognito mode would get around a paywall! Live and learn!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter