Bright line day before or morning of

KGmomoftwins

DIS Veteran
We are currently booked to do 4 nights at wdw ahead of our Miami cruise then take bright line to FLL and spend the night before the cruise at hotel near the port. I’d really like to add another night at Disney so we can have a full 4 days. Would it be risky to take the 7:50am train the morning of the cruise? It gets into the FLL station at 10:36. Any recent reviews of the train would be helpful too! Thanks!

I’ve used the, two cruises for Miami after getting to FLL. I like their offering, but have not tried it on the longer ride from Orlando.

If I were doing both Orlando and Fort Lauderdale or Miami, I would probably take the train (I find it less stressful than a car or plane).

Schedule-wise, I think I would opt for the evening before. There have been collisions with cars that fail to stop for the train (haven’t heard of train rider injuries, but it could make you late for the cruise).

I've taken Brightline twice to Ft. Lauderdale from MCO for cruises, both on the 7:50 a.m. train. I'm taking it again on the 4th. (Yippee!)

I feel comfortable with the 10:30-ish arrival. If the train hits a car, the pause is an hour or so, so on the off chance that happens, the train will be late but I'll probably make sailaway.

I would be fine with the arrival time, but my concern is what if there is an issue. If it's the night before, you still have options for getting to PE. If it's that morning or after you are on the train, that may be an issue.

News to me:

“Guests traveling to or from Brightline Orlando Station can enjoy Shared Connect Shuttles and Luxury Private Rides, both powered by Mears.

Shared Connect Shuttles Powered by Mears

Say hello to Orlando's exclusive 24/7, Florida-themed shuttle service. Effortlessly connect to and from Orlando International Airport and more than 25 hotels at the Walt Disney World® Resort. Exceptional convenience comes standard: one-way adult fares start at just $16, and child fares begin at $13. As a bonus, little adventurers aged 3 and under ride for free.”

Once at the Fort Lauderdale station, they have electric vehicles (ours was a multi-person enclosed golf cart) that will get you to many hotels - at no charge (well, charged electrically, but no added cost). Another time, it was a Sprinter van.

There are many newer hotels near the station.

Last edited:
I just took the Brightline from Orlando to Miami this week. Our train was on time to the minute. We departed Orlando at 9:50 a.m. and arrived in Miami at 1:15 p.m. I highly recommend it.

I would say night before. Morning of cuts it too close for me. If anything happens, you're sunk. And Brightline unfortunately doesn't have the best safety record in Florida-frequent accidents at crossings. If something happens to the train and you're on it, you can't easily get off/take another route, etc. As PP said, if you take the train the night before and something happens, then at least you have more wiggle room to find an alternative option.

I would say night before. Morning of cuts it too close for me. If anything happens, you're sunk. And Brightline unfortunately doesn't have the best safety record in Florida-frequent accidents at crossings. If something happens to the train and you're on it, you can't easily get off/take another route, etc. As PP said, if you take the train the night before and something happens, then at least you have more wiggle room to find an alternative option.
I knew this was the right choice going the night before but I’m trying to sneak in another park day.

To be fair, Brightline is safe. The train will hit people or vehicles that are on the track; the train doesn't leave the track and hit cars.

I knew this was the right choice going the night before but I’m trying to sneak in another park day.
How late is the last train? Or one you would consider.

Is buying a park ticket and only using part of it too wasteful for you? Or maybe just enjoy the pool at your WDW resort, have lunch, then catch an afternoon train. Dinner in Ft Lauderdale.

The train does not require the same early arrival as airplanes do; that’s a bonus.

Last edited:
How late is the last train? Or one you would consider.

Is buying a park ticket and only using part of it too wasteful for you? Or maybe just enjoy the pool at your WDW resort, have lunch, then catch an afternoon train. Dinner in Ft Lauderdale.

The train does not require the same early arrival as airplanes do; that’s a bonus.
I think we will try and get a character breakfast at Topolinos that morning then take the 1:50 train which gets us there at 5pm. I'm not to keen on spending the morning at let's say Animal kingdom and then taking a 3 hour train ride after sweating in the August heat lol.

Update: I took the Brightline this morning (7:50 departure, 10:40 arrival in Ft. Lauderdale). No incidents. Of course, anything can happen, but it's relatively unlikely.

I think we will try and get a character breakfast at Topolinos that morning then take the 1:50 train which gets us there at 5pm. I'm not to keen on spending the morning at let's say Animal kingdom and then taking a 3 hour train ride after sweating in the August heat lol.
That sounds like a relaxed travel day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter