Brief park report and some good tips (lessons learned today)

WonkaKid

DIS Veteran
I only got about two hours of sleep last night so this will be brief and likely littered with typos. Bear with me until I can fix everything tomorrow morning.

Crowds were better today that they were last Sunday. Yes, attendance was heavier than usual but still markedly better.

I arrived at the park earlier than usual today. I'd planned to meet up with a friend and her family who were in from Dallas. Just as I was putting the finishing touches on my finesse with a senior CM at the gate to fix up a surprise for @twodogs (Michelle) and 3/4 of her family (her daughter turned 12 a few weeks ago), she arrived. That's when I explained that I'd just arranged to have them open the park that morning. She and her daughter seemed excited and I was equally excited because I was able to put it together for them.

So: I was able to go in with Michelle's wonderful family to snap some pics as they opened Walt's opulent backyard for a day of play ;-). What's odd is that later I realized the gate CMs never scanned my pass. I found out when I tried to book my first Max Pass of the day, I got it fixed later. Here are a few pics as they took their oaths of office (such as they were ;-)).

IMG_0142.JPG

IMG_0143.JPG

IMG_0144.JPG

There's plenty more to this story but I struggle even now to stay awake so perhaps I'll edit and add more tomorrow. Suffice it to say that everyone had a wonderful time :-).

A useful note: I brought a small wrapped bday present for Lily, which I simply carried in my lunch bag (it was a really small box). But as walked across the parking structure lot, it occurred to me that security may not like small boxes that they can't inspect properly because it's wrapped. Long story short, he seemed to be OK with it and I was through security bag check in near record time :-).

I broke 2M twice on Buzz today. However, as you can see, it appears that someone was somehow able to claim credit for my score (after I'd already claimed it). Further, they used what appeared to be a rather rude combination of initials. I spoke with the BL lead (who knows me in passing). She said she'd look into it to see if anything could be done. An hour later, the initials were still The three resembled a rude word that sounds much like "bag." Could it have been legit? Sure, I imagine so. But it's unlikely, especially since they tied with me for first place. Oh well. It's now all done. Again, more tomorrow. I'm falling asleep onto my keyboard.
IMG_0126.jpg

Note the new snow on the roof.
IMG_0132.jpg

The new Tomorrowland FP kiosk.
IMG_0117.jpg

I'm a morning person, Tigger is a morning tiger.
IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

A few more pics and then it's good night for me. Again, more tomorrow.

IMG_0097.jpg

Last edited:
Get some good rest, Rob! And have a great trip back home. We'll miss you! Thanks for making magic for a fellow DISer and family! As a note on gifts and bag check, we just bring in the gift and wrappings separately (paper and ribbon all pre-measured, tape, etc. in a gift bag -- eliminates the need for scissors), then security can check everything (making sure that nothing is glass), and we wrap the gift afterward before boarding the tram. If security doesn't like the tape (sometimes they care, sometimes they don't care), one of us can return it to the car quickly and go through bag check again quickly. Usually the CMs allow us to quickly return because they recognize us and send us right through the metal detector.

Last edited:
Oh, the snow arrived...:woohoo: I just had to pause reading your report to turn on „its beginning to look like Christmas“...I also ate my first gingerbread yesterday so that fits pretty well! I just can’t wait for my first christmas time at DL...

Great that you were able to create some special magic!

Have fun in Chicago!

Oh, the snow arrived...:woohoo: I just had to pause reading your report to turn on „its beginning to look like Christmas“...I also ate my first gingerbread yesterday so that fits pretty well! I just can’t wait for my first christmas time at DL...

Great that you were able to create some special magic!

Have fun in Chicago!
Where’s the best place to get gingerbread at DL? We were wondering that last week!

Where’s the best place to get gingerbread at DL? We were wondering that last week!
I have no idea...sorry... I am in Germany and here you get plenty of good gingerbread in the supermarket...:blush: in fact I plan to bring some with me when we travel to DL...(just in case)

But that is a legit question...:scratchin

Interesting no issues with the wrapped gift. I had birthday gifts for my nephews in gift bags one time and they pretty much opened the entire contents of the bag and package. So then I had to put it all back together and try to get it to look nice again. Lesson learned like above to just bring all of the supplies and wrap post security!

have fun in Chicago!

Interesting no issues with the wrapped gift.
The box was really small -- a jewelry gift box, in fact. It fit in the palm of my hand. I really hadn't thought about security until I began to walk across the parking structure. Perhaps the CM who conducted my search thought it was too small to be anything worrisome or prohibited. Whatever the case, he waved me through quickly. I like to think that perhaps he or others recognized me from my countless Sunday visits. But that's unlikely, given that I can't recall seeing the same security CM twice at bag check.

have fun in Chicago!
Thank you! I usually only visit in the summer and at Christmas. But it was so hot when I last went home that I decided to come back for a visit in the fall. I moved to LA in March of '13 and this will be the first time in seven years that I've been home in October. I'm sure temps in the low fifties will feel "freezing" now. I return to LA late on the night of the 30th and hope to make the park at least for the morning on Halloween (which, BTW, is my favorite holiday).

I look forward to hearing some cool park stories on the boards while I'm away! Incidentally, and as I posted last summer, my Chicago place is walking distance to the house where Walt was born. Below is a pic of it. I love that there's a candle in the top window -- à la the light in his DL office above the fire station (pics below).

Walt's house1 .JPG

Walt's house 2.JPG

Walt's house3.JPG

Last edited:
Rob,

Thank you so much for making our day at DLR so very special. Opening the park was an unexpected treat that we could have never imagined! I will send more to you in a PM, but I just wanted to thank you here as well!!
It was a pleasure! So great to meet you all. See you again soon :-).

Thank you! I usually only visit in the summer and at Christmas. But it was so hot when I last went home that I decided to come back for a visit in the fall. I moved to LA in March of '13 and this will be the first time in seven years that I've been home in October. I'm sure temps in the low fifties will feel "freezing" now. I return to LA late on the night of the 30th and hope to make the park at least for the morning on Halloween (which, BTW, is my favorite holiday).

I am also originally from the Chicago area (mentioned before and when I ran into you about 7 months ago). I moved out here October 2005, and was back once in January 2016 (not by choice, work sent me), and nearly froze to death as the one morning it was below zero. I was so unhappy about that part. But I loved getting some Lou Malnati's pizza. Made things a lot better! LOL

I have no idea...sorry... I am in Germany and here you get plenty of good gingerbread in the supermarket...:blush: in fact I plan to bring some with me when we travel to DL...(just in case)

But that is a legit question...:scratchin

Ahhh, Nurnberger lebkuchen!! YUM!

Rob, in the pics of the castle in your post the new colors don't look as, well, bright & cartoonish as in some pics I've seen. Have the colors faded a bit or were the pics I've seen not 'true to life'?

Last edited:
I am also originally from the Chicago area (mentioned before and when I ran into you about 7 months ago). I moved out here October 2005, and was back once in January 2016 (not by choice, work sent me), and nearly froze to death as the one morning it was below zero LOL
My favorite Chicago weather story: I was home in January about five years ago and the windchill hit -43 (-40 is where Fahrenheit and Celsius meet, incidentally). It was indescribably cold. The next day as I walked out of the subway it felt comparatively nice. I unzipped my coat and said "Wow, it got nice out!" I then checked my phone. It was ten degrees ;-). Seriously.

Rob, in the pics of the castle in your post the new colors don't look as, well, bright & cartoonish as in some pics I've seen. Have the colors faded a bit or were the pics I've seen not 'true to life'?
Hmm. That's a good question. I just got a new iPhone so the camera is pretty good and hopefully color-accurate. Perhaps the colors have faded slightly or they don't look as bright in the late-morning sun?

Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to a visit in November during the slow time, this post got me more excited, if that's possible. We only get to go every few years, but still always hoping for my kids to one day get invited to open the park by getting there early!

They have the standard Mickey gingerbread cookie in the little bakery/candy shop on the left side of Main Street, just after the ice cream parlor. I just got one last week! I think they have other seasonal gingerbread cookies in different locations around the holidays too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter