BREAKING: Walt Disney World Introduces Date-Based Variable Pricing for Genie+ Service

DaviVascaino

DIS Veteran
Sigh. I saw this news this morning and its incredibly frustrating. I can pinch my nose and tolerate the various price increases over the past couple years because at least i can plan for them. Yeah, admission ticket prices are variable, but I know the price when I buy my ticket. But since I can't buy genie+ in advance now, I can't plan for that in advance and adjust my plans if needed. Well, I guess I can adjust by not buying genie when it shows a $22 price tag at 6:30 in the morning. At the end of the day, my family can afford the price increase omn days genie is something we want. And its money I would have spent at Disney anyway (although I would rather spend that twenty bucks on something to take home or a yummy snack). But its still extremely frustrating

Sigh. I saw this news this morning and its incredibly frustrating. I can pinch my nose and tolerate the various price increases over the past couple years because at least i can plan for them. Yeah, admission ticket prices are variable, but I know the price when I buy my ticket. But since I can't buy genie+ in advance now, I can't plan for that in advance and adjust my plans if needed. Well, I guess I can adjust by not buying genie when it shows a $22 price tag at 6:30 in the morning. At the end of the day, my family can afford the price increase omn days genie is something we want. And its money I would have spent at Disney anyway (although I would rather spend that twenty bucks on something to take home or a yummy snack). But its still extremely frustrating
I agree. frustrating. specially since even with genie plus, you need a bit of luck and strategy to reserve highly sought rides. if someone is not a "tech savvy" person, they might get genie plus and still miss out on popular rides

No surprise. I added G+ to my length of stay tickets for next month because I had a feeling price increases were coming.

Hopefully this will make G+ a better product for those that do purchase it. Selfishly I hope this makes less people purchase it next month while I am there.

No surprise. I added G+ to my length of stay tickets for next month because I had a feeling price increases were coming.

Hopefully this will make G+ a better product for those that do purchase it. Selfishly I hope this makes less people purchase it next month while I am there.
Sadly, I don't think it will have any significant impact on number of people buying it.

But at least $ILL has always been like that. Its always been variable. They are just raising the ceiling.

I've said it a few times over the past couple years: Disney is going to find ways to keep charging more until there is a reduction in demand. And then, they will still charge more because they want a (slight) reduction in demand to make the parks a better experience. At that point, prices should level out for a while (or at least the increases will slow). But it doesn't seem they are near any demand saturation point yet

my goodness.

does anyone know if the pricing difference is based on day of the week or month of the year?? I am going to WDW in Feb (low season), wondering if all the days would be $15 or $22.
If you're going last week of February (President's day week and Princess Half Marathon) it'll be in the high range since that week is VERY busy.

Sadly, I don't think it will have any significant impact on number of people buying it.
Probably not, but I think they'll keep pulling this lever until some kind of balance point is reached. I don't think they ever planned for it to stay at $15 for very long. I've been saying for a while, and as recently as yesterday in another thread, the main problem with G+ is that it's too cheap.

Feeling stupid for not buying the pre-loaded tickets back when they were on sale. Not surprised but still complaining.

my goodness.

does anyone know if the pricing difference is based on day of the week or month of the year?? I am going to WDW in Feb (low season), wondering if all the days would be $15 or $22.

It'll probably depend on other factors including the amount of reservations made. Supply/demand. If there are more resort reservations, and park reservations, then I'm guessing once certain criteria for thresholds of demand are met, then the price will go up accordingly. If people keep paying, then Walt assumes they love the product. Why do anything other than charge more for it until ppl stop paying?

I'm not surprised by this, especially if numbers are true that 50% of guests were buying Disney Genie. You've got to make prices variable to avoid everyone buying Disney Genie on busy days. Clearly won't stop until people stop buying it, but for a $7 increase on busier days, I'm imagining it won't stop anyone.

I'm not surprised by this, especially if numbers are true that 50% of guests were buying Disney Genie. You've got to make prices variable to avoid everyone buying Disney Genie on busy days. Clearly won't stop until people stop buying it, but for a $7 increase on busier days, I'm imagining it won't stop anyone.
I believe they could raise the price by $50 and people would still have to buy it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter